First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Recently or a while ago? They never show anyone paying that I’ve seen.
A couple of videos ago you could see a guy handing over his credit card.
Sponsored

najay

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
boss 302, focus st, gen1 lightning, f250 7.3l 4wd
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Such a cool channel. And seem like good folks. Matt did get himself in a bit of hot water with state or Feds. Guess he was telling people to submit claims to AAA for recovery and someone somewhere thought it was fraudulent. Not sure how it all turned out but was a local story in Utah.
I saw an update where Matt said that he was not being paid consistently by AAA, and his rep suggested some creative ways of submitting claims, the same way as everybody else in the industry does. He never submitted a claim for work that was not performed, although the 'timestamps' did not always line up. A trusted friend tried to blackmail him over his youtube channel and ended up betraying him and reporting him to the authorities. The outcome was the judge determined he was a real asset to the community and that he was a victim of misinformation - he ended up taking the blame for everything to exonerate everybody else involved. He was not fined by the court, only had to pay back the monies that he could not prove he earned (he admitted his accounting techniques were not the best) and had to perform community service (which he already does in spades). He is a really good guy and I enjoy his channel.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In the video Matt says to always use 4 low in the sand. I thought 4 low was for rock crawling at very low speeds. Sand mode defaults to 4 high. Using 4 low driving through sand adds unnecessary stress to the vehicle and could result in overheating the transmission - am I wrong?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In the video Matt says to always use 4 low in the sand. I thought 4 low was for rock crawling at very low speeds. Sand mode defaults to 4 high. Using 4 low driving through sand adds unnecessary stress to the vehicle and could result in overheating the transmission - am I wrong?
I was wondering the same. Now I know this was an OBx....but now I'm confused.

When do you use "Sand" and when do you use "Baja" ? Thought speed (and low tires) was the key and 4L isn't going to get you that. 4H/4A Baja mode would allow for faster wheel speed

Tornado_735

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Silverado, 18 EcoSport 4x4, 09 Aveo, 1995 P38
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes.

Sponsored

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Running in 4 lo in sand may heat the tranny less. It will put less strain on everything and the tranny will run in the higher gears. Not much sand here but what I have run, 4 lo works better except high speed stuff but slower speeds lo works better imho.

rabidmoravians

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drive mine in pretty loose sand weekly. I always use sand mode which is 4-hi and its just super easy and better than any of the jeeps I've owned. I mean it just plows through no prob with 38ish psi in my tires. I've always thought wheel speed played a major factor in loose sand. That said, I have not tried 4-low in sand yet but I'm not sure how it could be any better. Airing down is prob the biggest factor but i haven't needed too……..yet

Tornado_735

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Silverado, 18 EcoSport 4x4, 09 Aveo, 1995 P38
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I drive mine in pretty loose sand weekly. I always use sand mode which is 4-hi and its just super easy and better than any of the jeeps I've owned. I mean it just plows through no prob with 38ish psi in my tires. I've always thought wheel speed played a major factor in loose sand. That said, I have not tried 4-low in sand yet but I'm not sure how it could be any better. Airing down is prob the biggest factor but i haven't needed too……..yet
I understand the reasoning behind staying in 4H in sand, as you want wheels spinning to stay on top of the sand...you just don't want to lose momentum. In terms of 4L causing undue stress on the transmission, that's incorrect, especially on a particularly rocky or technical trail. Using 4H on a trail with lots of rocks you have to crawl over will absolutely cook a transmission, because all you'll be doing is stalling out the torque converter.

rabidmoravians

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand the reasoning behind staying in 4H in sand, as you want wheels spinning to stay on top of the sand...you just don't want to lose momentum. In terms of 4L causing undue stress on the transmission, that's incorrect, especially on a particularly rocky or technical trail. Using 4H on a trail with lots of rocks you have to crawl over will absolutely cook a transmission, because all you'll be doing is stalling out the torque converter.
Oh yeah, i totally agree. When I'm in the mountains or anything technical I'm usually in 4-low for the reason you stated and just having more power on tap. I was just questioning 4-low vs high for sand as 4 high has worked great in the bronco. I would actually use 4- low in my jeep rubicon 6 speed on the same sand because i could just put it in 3rd, release the clutch and it would just walk out on its own

Sponsored

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recently or a while ago? They never show anyone paying that I’ve seen.
Because swiping a credit card through a square reader on a cell phone makes for exciting content.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This. I don't think anyone in a video gets charged.
That was at least 100% wrong prior to 2021. He was charged with felony insurance fraud last year for billing AAA for a bunch of "on road" recoveries that were actually off-road recoveries that he uploaded to youtube essentially posting evidence against himself. He pled no contest and was sentenced to probation and fined.

LC4Dakar

Outer Banks
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus 7, Land Rover Series 2a
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder of the 4L is for the initial pull out of the sand. More torque and you don't risk the pullee overtaking you.
Sponsored