Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I keep seeing people post about steering upgrades, lets talk about what you are risking.

Factory tie rods are the big item everyone talks about as being the week link. We have seen mostly two kinds of failures, bent at the adjuster or snapped at the adjuster. The snapped failure is substantially worse than the bent failure as you have a complete loss of control over a partial loss of control. It is important to see the value in the type of failure as you rather have some steering vs no steering.

Factory steering rack is the next weakest item. The biggest hazard is the loss of the tensioner that can result in a complete loss of steering. The tensioner threads break off when the internal shaft running through the housing deflects. This occurs when the driver front tire puts to much pressure on the steering system the force pushes into the plastic factory bushing deforming it and then critically failing the tensioner. You also have an issue with the passenger side as doing the same thing but instead of destroying the tensioner it eats out the aluminum housing. This extra metal enters the system and slowly destroys the plastic power assist system.

If you upgrade your tie rods you are increase the stress put on the steering rack. You are literally moving from possibility of losing 1 wheel of steering to complete loss of steering. Spending some money on a driver side Delrin bushing is about the best thing an owner can do to mitigate the design flaw of the factory steering rack. This bushing helps mitigate the loss of steering hazard by drastically increasing the force required to break the tensioner on the steering rack. At this time with what is known about the Bronco Platform I would refrain from going larger on the tie rods unless you want be part of the break it first and find out latter club.

Observations:
Most of the time the stock tie rods will fail before the steering rack.
Adding basic sleeves like JKS, Rough Country or Level Up results in a few broken racks.
Adding a steering rack bushing seems to be safe all the way up to 37s and upgraded tie rods.
Adding a passenger side housing you can move up to Icon Tie Rods and BroncBuster Braces.

This is subjective with almost no definitive proof since there are lots of different combination out there. Just don't put yourself out in the broken rack club its dangerous, its costly and takes a long time to get parts.
Sponsored

SkiRig

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the write up. Do you know if the bushing in the steering rack was upgraded in the Hoss 3.0 to go along with the beefier tie rods?

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

driver side Delrin bushing
As someone who isn't familiar with steering racks, a couple of questions:

a) Would you recommend this upgrade for normal off-road usage?
b) Do you have a part number / link?
c) Would this void warranty / can I ask the dealer to install / upgrade?

Thanks for the nice write-up. Component failure engineering I'm sure has certain designed break-points for a reason, and appreciate the post.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the write up. Do you know if the bushing in the steering rack was upgraded in the Hoss 3.0 to go along with the beefier tie rods?
Substantial Upgraded and the metal housing was slightly changed to reducing how far the internal shaft can deflect further reducing the load on the tensioner.
Ford Bronco Modified steering op-ed & discussion: know the risks when you modify steering / tie rods 1683754170719

SkiRig

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Substantial Upgraded and the metal housing was slightly changed to reducing how far the internal shaft can deflect further reducing the load on the tensioner.
Ford Bronco Modified steering op-ed & discussion: know the risks when you modify steering / tie rods 1683754170719
Thanks again for your response. Threads like this are the best part of this forum.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great post.

It's a shame they didn't go with an EPAS column and left the rack dumb, it could have simplified it greatly and may have helped with the backorders if it was a simpler rack to manufacture.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As someone who isn't familiar with steering racks, a couple of questions:

a) Would you recommend this upgrade for normal off-road usage?
b) Do you have a part number / link?
c) Would this void warranty / can I ask the dealer to install / upgrade?

Thanks for the nice write-up. Component failure engineering I'm sure has certain designed break-points for a reason, and appreciate the post.
a) Every bronco owner should upgrade the bushing, as single event could damage the tensioner enough to induce a pending failure. People offroading just tend to hit more things and increase the risk.
b) I am not going to push a specific brand, that is your choice. Currently you can pick Broncbuster or Rough Country.
c) It would void the warranty, but odds of getting the steering warrantied are low if you have any curb rash on the wheel or sign of miss-use. Some will be able to get a broken steering rack warrantied, I wasn't one of them.

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I keep seeing people post about steering upgrades, lets talk about what you are risking.

Factory tie rods are the big item everyone talks about as being the week link. We have seen mostly two kinds of failures, bent at the adjuster or snapped at the adjuster. The snapped failure is substantially worse than the bent failure as you have a complete loss of control over a partial loss of control. It is important to see the value in the type of failure as you rather have some steering vs no steering.

Factory steering rack is the next weakest item. The biggest hazard is the loss of the tensioner that can result in a complete loss of steering. The tensioner threads break off when the internal shaft running through the housing deflects. This occurs when the driver front tire puts to much pressure on the steering system the force pushes into the plastic factory bushing deforming it and then critically failing the tensioner. You also have an issue with the passenger side as doing the same thing but instead of destroying the tensioner it eats out the aluminum housing. This extra metal enters the system and slowly destroys the plastic power assist system.

If you upgrade your tie rods you are increase the stress put on the steering rack. You are literally moving from possibility of losing 1 wheel of steering to complete loss of steering. Spending some money on a driver side Delrin bushing is about the best thing an owner can do to mitigate the design flaw of the factory steering rack. This bushing helps mitigate the loss of steering hazard by drastically increasing the force required to break the tensioner on the steering rack. At this time with what is known about the Bronco Platform I would refrain from going larger on the tie rods unless you want be part of the break it first and find out latter club.

Observations:
Most of the time the stock tie rods will fail before the steering rack.
Adding basic sleeves like JKS, Rough Country or Level Up results in a few broken racks.
Adding a steering rack bushing seems to be safe all the way up to 37s and upgraded tie rods.
Adding a passenger side housing you can move up to Icon Tie Rods and BroncBuster Braces.

This is subjective with almost no definitive proof since there are lots of different combination out there. Just don't put yourself out in the broken rack club its dangerous, its costly and takes a long time to get parts.
Anyone know which steering rack bushing offered is the best?

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone know which steering rack bushing offered is the best?
One is 350
Two is 50 (so technically half the kit so $25)

is one 14 times better than the other?

I’m not sure of any two similar objects that perform the same task where a 14x dissimilarity in pricing is warranted

but I’m sure someone is about to school me

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One is 350
Two is 50 (so technically half the kit so $25)

is one 14 times better than the other?

I’m not sure of any two similar objects that perform the same task where a 14x dissimilarity in pricing is warranted

but I’m sure someone is about to school me
@Raskew either is acceptable as they both do the same thing. Until someone comes out with a more long term solution don't look at these as a permanent fix.

Sponsored

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Raskew either is acceptable as they both do the same thing. Until someone comes out with a more long term solution don't look at these as a permanent fix.
There isn’t a permanent fix, but the closest thing is ponying up for the BroncBuster housing/bushings on a 3.0, or extra $$ for the 74Weld unit.

Free2Roam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is good info, thanks. I saw you only recommended icon tie rods if the housing upgrade is done. Is that for 37s or would that advice stand if keeping 35s and using RC bushings?

Thanks for any info or advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is good info, thanks. I was wondering if you'd care to give some input on my particular situation which is a little different from many folks as i am not interested in bigger tires right now. I have fox coilovers getting installed in 2 weeks. Also icon uca's and rear trailing arms. I am only going to run the coilovers setup for about 2.5 inch front lift and about 2 inch rear lift, instead of the 3.5" front/2.5" rear setting they ser them on out of the box. I am keeping a bit of rake for towing a small, very light offroad trailer.

I am staying with 35 inch tire size and stock Sas wheels for the time being as I am not frequenting terrain that requires larger 37s. Mostly overlanding now and not climbing obstacles that require every bit of clearance. But I do get into some technical stuff that makes the skids plates do there job.
I have the RC bushings here and the shop doing the install in a couple weeks has Icon tie rods in stock. So I have a choice of using the RC bushings and keeping stock tie rods or doing the bushings and adding icon tie rods also.

I am not going to payout for the BB housing upgrade, does that mean I absolutely shouldn't use the icon tie rods? Does having the RC bushing on both sides give enough extra load safety to the rack to allow the stronger tie rods. Or with 35s and a modest 2.5" lift is there hardly any chance of breaking a stock tie rod?

2023 Badlands Sas 2 door

Thanks for any info or advice.
Icon tie rods are one of the strongest options out there and are stronger than the factory HOSS 1.0 housing. Icons probably even exceed what a HOSS 3.0 housing can handle. I would stay factory tie rods or maybe add some jks sleeves with the rough country bushings. The draw back to the passenger rough country bushing is you keep the factory housing. There have been enough housing failures to say I wouldn't risk installing Icon tie rods.

I would keep the Icon Tie rods as spare parts for the time being. Let a few other people destroy some parts this summer and see what works. I have a feeling more options are around the corner.

Tire size is irrelevant for critical failures, as it's the one mistake/instance that breaks parts. Force = mass x acceleration so even a smaller tire can have enough force if you crazy enough.

Free2Roam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you..you would install the RC passenger bushing though right? I have heard conflicting things. Someone posted today on the other thread that they talked to the BB guy at Moab and he said no one should use a passenger bushing.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you..you would install the RC passenger bushing though right? I have heard conflicting things. Someone posted today on the other thread that they talked to the BB guy at Moab and he said no one should use a passenger bushing.
I believe, in the other thread, someone joked about not believing the BB guy because he wants to sell an expensive piece of aluminum, however the question still remains.

Should we install both of the RC bushings or only the driver's side? RC's engineering is solid on some things, but not on others, so I'm curious as to the definitive answer.
Sponsored