Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OMG really ? Here you go took me about 5 seconds to google this.... If you think you are safe because of that flimsy piece of metal, well...

You should definitely remove those silly bags of air too. Who needs those thin strips of cloth to hold you in the car? Why don’t we just go back to cars that survive the crash and people that take the impact?

Seriously though, it’s one thing to make risky choices. It’s another to encourage other people to do the same who might not fully understand the risk. It’s not like anyone else will be paying for their medical care if the tire does end up crushing their legs because the crash bars got taken off.
Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
See. I have no problem with that for MY safety. But keeping my daughter safe is more important to me than anything else in the world. She's all that matters. So you say you "wish we could" I say let's do it but not with my 15 month old daughter.
...Ahh, the overprotective father! I remember those days. A grizzly bear would not have wanted to mess with me when my daughters were that age! Gotta keep those little ones safe! Now i'm like, Your boyfriend did what??
Ford Bronco Much to do about Crashbars 1642205602836

Last edited:

fundelay

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Unicorn Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll do it without a second thought but I'm more willing to accept risk than most people I know. Seeing as how sasquatch doesn't have them I don't see it being a huge deal.
Risk/Insurance/payout if something bad occurs.
It's a potential (out) big deal with insurance company, if something happens?
That's what I think about.
Ford delivers SAS package w/o crashbars and it's a given I assume*.
One removes crashbars and that's a thing.
Problems. Solution?
IDK as Ford and dealer will not provide an answer which I get.
No liability from anyone!

*We all know what assume means I assume.

Last edited:

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Correct. I figured because the SAS doesn’t have it that I’m fine removing mine until a suitable replacement exists. 93% of the time I’m the only occupant in my Bronco. I don’t know of SAS vs non-SAS crash ratings either.

Oh and the rear crash bars are 1.4lbs each and the fronts are 2.9lbs each so call it 1.5 and 3 for scale error. Attached is a pic of them. Front bar is the larger, angled bar. Front bar is 11 and 5/16ths inches for reference
Ford Bronco Much to do about Crashbars 1642205602836
and the OP is concerned about tipping over if he removes. 😁

Reactions: JPG

Tank

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150, 18 4runner, couple of old Datsuns
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You may be a better fit for the bronco sport.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
100% sure that catastrophic injury and/or immediate death will occur as a direct result of crash bar removal. ;) Seriously, someone prove that this is a real issue for the 99.5%+ of all accidents.

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're over thinking this or don't understand how they work.

It's a steel tube that's less than a foot long. Go under there and look. I think it was a 13mm socket that is needed. The bolts were torqued so take a breaker bar too.

I spent some time looking at them while I was working on a light bracket (the two bolts make a great mounting point by the way) and am impressed with the simplicity of the design. Its not the weight that makes them useful. Their shape, position, bracket mount, diagonal support, etc. is genius.

I watched crash tests (on here someplace) and wondered how the impact energy from a frontal collision would push the car sideways (good thing) to keep the energy from going all the way into the cab. Looking at the entire design shows how they work. Its a series of collapsible sections that would force an intrusion out as they collapse. Its really quite simple.

Good job Ford. I'm keeping mine.

I can also see how a tapered one would be beneficial and still work to some extent if it was clearanced for a larger tire.
There was an interesting thread recently that involved the head on crash that showed how they prevented cab intrusion.

E9C49DE1-BD97-4F82-BAE2-BD544EBA0797.jpeg

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

100% sure that catastrophic injury and/or immediate death will occur as a direct result of crash bar removal. ;) Seriously, someone prove that this is a real issue for the 99.5%+ of all accidents.
The IIHS already did per the article I posted. I mean, you can do a tremendous amount of stupid stuff in life and live. I’m proof of that! A lot of people don’t get lung cancer from smoking, many people survive getting shot, some people even make it after getting thrown from vehicles when not wearing seatbelts, etc. It doesn’t make any of it a good idea.

I don’t understand why people don’t see the value of crash bars, especially given that there are a lot of aftermarket versions available for the larger tires. The other issue is that modifying a vehicle by removing safety systems seems like it could increase personal liability and decrease available insurance benefits.

There, now you can’t say you weren’t warned. Happy wheeling!

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're probably right. But I wouldn't want to be in that .5%. After seeing all of the accidents that have been reported on here and how well the Bronco has fared in all of them, I'm not taking mine off!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OMG really ? Here you go took me about 5 seconds to google this.... If you think you are safe because of that flimsy piece of metal, well...

This person may respectfully disagree. Hit head on by vehicle B

79D41EC7-7988-4A22-8600-5BBDCF8E9C5D.jpeg

684DCE59-01B1-43AE-AB44-27C74EE47EB8.jpeg

Toolman1960

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 Lariet FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I've seen a lot of people talk about removing crash bars to fit bigger tires and the sas supposedly doesn't even have them but I haven't seen really anyone answer or ask this question.

Is it safe?

I mean, I'd love to throw a 2in leveling kid on my BL 4d with 35s when I get it but it's a well known fact from everything I've seen that doing so will require removing the crash bars. My biggest concern with that is 1 how will it effect the ride and potential tipping hazard with those removed (no idea what each bar weighs and if it's significant enough to keep the bronco down) and 2 how effective are they as a safety device if the sasquatch doesn't even come with them? As someone who intends to use this as his daily driver and for deep woods backpacking/camping trips and the like I want to know my family will be safe if I remove those. Does anyone have any thoughts/answers?
If you want a 2” lift with crash bars 4WheelParts has a kit that does both. The kit includes crash bars designed for more tire clearance. They also offer a big tire kit, that’s just the crash bars if you want to run a different lift. Check out eville truck on YouTube, he installs this kit on his Black Diamond. Hope this helps!

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off: I didn't read all the comments, so I'm sorry if this has been touched on.

I took mine off and while handling them I realized that the most they are going to do is keep the wheel from getting shoved into the door. I don't see them having any sort of impact on cabin safety. I say this as someone with a lot of experience in working MVC's. The removal of the crash bars will likely have zero impact on passenger safety.

If you're super concerned, then 4 Wheel Parts sells crash bars with greater clearance. It may give you some peace of mind while having your children in the car with you.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
F250/F350 come with “Prius Catchers” and we always remove them.

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I've seen a lot of people talk about removing crash bars to ...
...biggest concern with that is 1 how will it effect the ride and potential tipping hazard with those removed (no idea what each bar weighs and if it's significant enough to keep the bronco down) and...

... I want to know my family will be safe if I remove those. Does anyone have any thoughts/answers?
Don't do it. Huge tipping hazard. Several are having issues with this. Very dangerous!

I have a friend that removed only one on one side, and it flipped in his driveway when parked.
Sponsored