First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow, nice right up. You are so right......I know I lived in New England (Massachusetts) most of my life. The salt used on the roads is just crazy. They use so much of it. Yes, it very quickly rusts the undercarriage. I spent hours sanding, painting and undercoating my vehicles when I lived there so they would not end up a rust bucket. I also washed and flushed the salt out a lot- sometimes multiple times a week. This shop looks like a great shop. If it's $800 for the coating, that's a bargain. I would spend like 3-4 days doing my undercarriages. It's well worth the money!

I got so sick of the cold, snow and salted roads I moved to FL. Love it here but you cannot escape the elements. No salt and the undercarriages stay nice BUT have the super hot and intense sun that just burns the paint off cars. Have to protect it, wax often and park in the shade whenever possible.
Sponsored

Onthegas

Base
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basemansquatch 5/9/22
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the wax treatment is meritable. But. Let's say you move to Arizona. Honestly wondering if all that wax would not melt into a huge black puddle on a Phoenix summer day? In other words, how long is treatment expected to last?

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congratulations on using probably the best shop in New England! I'm up in Maine and very familiar with the folks at Alpha, amazing operation, their work is top shelf.

Nothing will stop rust, but if we can delay it 5-10 years it's worth a try. Stuff up here begins to rust after 3 years, I've seen 2016 Suburbans with perforations on the rear frame rails lately, it's awful.

Keep this thread alive, let us know how things looks in the Spring, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think the wax treatment is meritable. But. Let's say you move to Arizona. Honestly wondering if all that wax would not melt into a huge black puddle on a Phoenix summer day? In other words, how long is treatment expected to last?
It is supposed to last the life of the car but they recommend bringing it back after 4-5 years to see if anything needs to be touched up.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wow, nice right up. You are so right......I know I lived in New England (Massachusetts) most of my life. The salt used on the roads is just crazy. They use so much of it. Yes, it very quickly rusts the undercarriage. I spent hours sanding, painting and undercoating my vehicles when I lived there so they would not end up a rust bucket. I also washed and flushed the salt out a lot- sometimes multiple times a week. This shop looks like a great shop. If it's $800 for the coating, that's a bargain. I would spend like 3-4 days doing my undercarriages. It's well worth the money!

I got so sick of the cold, snow and salted roads I moved to FL. Love it here but you cannot escape the elements. No salt and the undercarriages stay nice BUT have the super hot and intense sun that just burns the paint off cars. Have to protect it, wax often and park in the shade whenever possible.
In reviewing my receipts I should really say it was more like $1200. I will update the post.

Sponsored

ProudestMonkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In reviewing my receipts I should really say it was more like $1200. I will update the post.
Did you have it done at the Acton location? I've been there a couple times - nice showroom and always an interesting array of cars (and motorcycles).

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you have it done at the Acton location? I've been there a couple times - nice showroom and always an interesting array of cars (and motorcycles).
I did it in the Boxborough location - I believe that is their service shop. They also have another showroom there - the place is spotless.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In another thread someone brought up an interesting point about rust: Is it better to garage it and let the salted snow/ice melt off every day, or is it better to leave it frozen outside??? I can see pros/cons to both approaches. (moving south is not in the cards)

ProudestMonkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did it in the Boxborough location - I believe that is their service shop. They also have another showroom there - the place is spotless.
Yep, I've been there too. Never done any business with them, but the facilities are impressive.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Even $1200 is well worth it. Considering I spent 24 hours plus doing my own and if my rate was only $100- that times 24 equates to $2400. It's very labor intensive, lots of prep, sanding, cleaning with paint thinner, on your back doing the under coating and painting (unless you have a lift which I did not) and you get filthy, dirty. It took like 2 hours to clean up and wipe yourself off with paint thinner- the undercoating gets everywhere. So, well worth the $$- especially if you are going to keep your vehicle a long time and not much $$ in comparison to to how much you pay for the vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Even $1200 is well worth it. Considering I spent 24 hours plus doing my own and if my rate was only $100- that times 24 equates to $2400. It's very labor intensive, lots of prep, sanding, cleaning with paint thinner, on your back doing the under coating and painting (unless you have a lift which I did not) and you get filthy, dirty. It took like 2 hours to clean up and wipe yourself off with paint thinner- the undercoating gets everywhere. So, well worth the $$- especially if you are going to keep your vehicle a long time and not much $$ in comparison to to how much you pay for the vehicle.
Yeah that sounds pretty miserable - especially if you wanted to do it thoroughly. I would also have some questions about what should be coated, and what shouldn't. Anyway, for now I feel so much better believing that my shiny new car isn't being continuously eaten alive.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The purpose of this thread is to provide information about my experience with professionally rust proofing my 2021 Bronco Wildtrak. This is an update to some earlier threads I started here:

Worried about rust on your Bronco? You should be. Here's why.

Startling video about why you should be worried about RUST!

Background: I live in New England where they heavily salt the roads. My previous car (2006 4Runner recently had to be towed away for parts at 140K miles because the frame had rotted beyond repair – otherwise it was in great condition. This experience jaded me so I was particularly eager to avoid a recurring situation. Disclaimer – my 4Runner was one of the ones (like Tacomas which were recalled for frame rust) that Toyota outsourced the frame to a 3rd party that failed to properly treat for rust. I am now part of current litigation pursuit for 4Runners. That said, I’m now hyper-sensitive about rust and I keep my cars for a long time. This is my daily driver.

My Wildtrak Bronco is a Dirt Mountain POW, delivered on Dec 23, 2021. The day I got it, the roads were heavily salted. In less than 2 weeks, with only 250 miles on it, there was already a strange amount of rust build up on some parts. For comparison, a friend of mine, also in MA, has been driving his bronco since August (not from Dirt Mountain) and the parts on mine that are rusted are still pristine on his (did something happen at Dirt Mountain????).

So, I brought my Bronco to Alpha Cars in Boxborough, MA to have it treated for future rust avoidance. This is a high end shop of perfectionists that restore/sell exotic cars, and provide services such as detailing, body work, performance mods, exhausts, stereo, engine/suspension upgrades, ceramic coatings, PPF, detailing, etc. This shop provided some insightful pics and video of before and after.

Who should keep reading:
  • Anyone who wants to see what the Bronco looks like underneath
  • Anyone who lives in areas where they salt the roads, who wants to learn more about rust protection approaches with before/after video
  • Anyone who wants to understand what Ford has/hasn’t done to protect Bronco’s from rust
  • Anyone in New England who is considering professional rust protection
About this vendor, pricing, and products used:
  • This is a high-end vendor. They are meticulous and the shop is like a museum. There are surely less expensive vendors that offer rust protection services. Personally, I was worried about finding someone I trust, because I am a skeptic on pretty much everything and the value/effectiveness of rust proofing has been debated for decades. This vendor left me confident that they did as very comprehensive job. They did a combination of cleaning/prepping the undercarriage, sanding rusted parts, treating them with rust converter, adding multiple coats of “hard wax” to the undercarriage, and spraying “Waxoil” into the frame and body cavities. They removed wheel wells and other parts. The treatment is intended to last for the lifetime of the car. There are other products that other vendors and DIY consumers use including Fluid film, NH oil, tar-like undercoating, and other products, which all have pros/cons and price implications. If your car is already heavily rusted, the cost would be more because it would require more preparation. For my vendor, with my "new" car, it was around $1200 to clean, prep and apply 4 coats of hard wax to the undercarriage. I had them go further to get inside the frame, rocker panels and other areas with Waxoil, for a few hundred more. If you choose to do business with Alpha Cars, and mention my name (Jeff Abbott), they will give you $100 off your service. No I don’t work for them. (978) 237-5906. Ask for Jacob. They are good guys.
Before you tell me that I wasted my money:
  • I understand that my Bronco is new and barely had any rust on it. However, I was alarmed at how quickly rust had already formed on some hardware and other parts in less than 2 weeks and it makes me cringe. I plan to keep my car for a long time and again, my 4Runner was just hauled away for parts from frame rust. Not going to let that happen again.
  • I understand that there is a realistic chance that I could have ignored this issue and I may never have a mechanical problem from rust ever.
  • I understand that there are DIY products that cost less and will help protect from rust, each with pros and cons.
  • I understand that rust proofing, ceramic coating, and other things are associated with snake oil salesmen, and some people feel that rust proofing doesn’t do anything at all, isn’t needed, or even makes things worse. I chose this vendor because I believe that they have integrity and expertise and the best products and processes, and will stand behind their work. Can I prove that it was worth it? Not yet.
Jeff, I don’t want to spend the time watching these videos. What are the key takeaways?
  • According to Alpha Cars, compared to most other cars, the Bronco has very little rust protection from the manufacturer. For example, the body panels have between 5 and 9 mils of paint thickness. FYI, a mil is a thousandth of an inch (not a millimeter). The Bronco frame has only 0.5-1.0 mil of paint, which is nearly nothing. For comparison, Alpha Cars tells me that most American cars have between 1-2 mils on the frame, and European cars usually have have more. Some places on the Bronco have no paint at all where they should.
  • Different products have pros/cons. Hard wax is for the undercarriage and it is more resilient to the outside world. Unlike oils, hard wax is designed to stay on the car for life with little to no maintenance. Unlike the old-school tar-like undercoatings, hard wax doesn’t gum up your undercarriage to the point to where you couldn’t get a wrench on a nut. The hard wax was applied over several days in 4 coats. Waxoil, is more liquid-like and is sprayed to the enclosed areas, where it can travel to hard to reach areas and penetrate. Also, DIY versions of these exist, and other people will use Fluid Film, NH oil, spent motor oil, or even WD-40, but these require annual reapplication.
  • It’s up to you as to how thorough you want to be, and it comes with a price. In my case, they not only treated the undercarriage and frame, but they also removed the wheel wells, flares and plugs in the frame/rockers to access many enclosed areas, including the entire inside of the frame. In the case of the Bronco, there are so many built-in holes in the frame, they did not need to drill the frame to access everywhere. In my case, they also sanded and rust treated the drive shaft and axle shafts. I may paint them too – really just for cosmetic reasons. My yellow Bilstein shocks are now black :(.
  • I am very pleased with the service and quality from Alpha Cars in Boxborough, MA. I believe they did this as thoroughly as possible and they clearly take pride in their work. Again, if you give them my name (Jeff Abbott), they will take $100 off your service. And again, they do lots of other stuff that new Bronco owners would be interested in.
Okay, enough already, show me the Before/After Videos:

BEFORE VIDEO
with evaluation. This has a great analysis of the paint thicknesses, and shows where Ford did, and didn’t, protect the Bronco from rust:

AFTER VIDEO showing everything they did.

And here are some BEFORE pics (keep in mind this is from less that 2 weeks of ownership so it's obviously still in great shape overall and there is no rust on frame yet, but...):
IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg
IMG_5538.jpg

And here are some AFTER pics (between 3rd and 4th coats):
IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg
What products were used for us do it at home guys

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Last edited:

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@SkyKing did you notice from the short time you had it prior to treatment to now, any reduction in road noise? Seems like it might cut down on some additional road noise.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What products were used for us do it at home guys
It’s explained in detail in the 2nd video and in text of my initial post. But the undercarriage is Hardwax, and the enclosed areas were done with Waxoil which is thinner and penetrating. Both products are made by the brand which is also called Waxoil. See video two for exact products - he shows the labels on each can.
Sponsored