Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Quick Question and honestly probably a super easy answer. I've noticed the Raptor can tow 4500 pounds which is huge. It was an oversight by Ford to only allow the other models to tow 3500. With that being said I saw and I believe it was a TFL Raptor video showing the reason for it was because of an extra metal bar Ford installed on the bottom underside for the extra support. Is it possible this type of modification will come to the other models to increase towing capacity by 1000 pounds? I'd love to modify my Bronco for the extra 1000 pounds of towing capacity.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This has been discussed. You are not accounting for the stronger frame, bigger brakes, bigger suspension and bigger engine. The warthog even comes with a drive mode just for towing.

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This has been discussed. You are not accounting for the stronger frame, bigger brakes, bigger suspension and bigger engine. The warthog even comes with a drive mode just for towing.
I had a feeling it wouldnt be possible but thought I'd ask anyways.

Mikerider

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Ranger, Mustang, Focus, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the larger rear axle in the bronco raptor also plays a role in the higher tow rating.

it would be great to see ford refresh and update the normal broncos with the same improvements for higher towing capacity.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I mean you can always do what's always seen on the road and tow outside class
Ford Bronco Raptor vs Non Raptor Towing Capacity Screenshot_20220613-093236_Chrome

Sponsored

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My opinion is Ford kept the Towing capacity on the low side because they didn't want to deal with the extra accessories that normally come with a tow package. i.e, transmission cooler, brake upgrade, radiator upgrade, suspension, etc. I think you will be fine towing 4500. I would look into an auxiliary transmission cooler. I'm going to install one on my Bronco once I get it. LOL

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some has to do with the two puny "kickers" that come off the hitch to a cross member and the additional OTA tranny cooler. The other stuff mentioned above are also part of it.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mainly it’s the linear anchors they added on to the hitch piece. The frame itself (T6 Gen 2) is more than capable of handling twice the standard Bronco tow rating as it stands. However the draw bar has a reduced amount of linear strength due to how the receiver is mounted (c channel). Can it tow more than the rating without the bars?, sure but I wouldn’t trust it to do it for life. In severe abuse testing they had a tendency to cause the crossmember to twist and break welds.

Not that any official ratings will increase, for legal reasons, you can delete the muffler and add the Raptor hitch (or modify the existing) and bars you’ll have no real physical difference in regards to towing structure. I looked into adding tow mode to the GOAT modes but the ABS as-built is a little more complex than the regular models so that’s going to be more of an experiment.

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a feeling Ford will try to improve it in the future, but for the moment… the others are correct.

The old Broncos were a full-sized SUV based largely on the F-150, and therefore it inherited a lot of the F-series towing characteristics. The new Bronco is mid-sized and vastly different than the F-150. Focuses a lot more on off-road capabilities than the older Broncos. BUT, I think fans of the old Bronco were expecting to have higher towing capabilities. So I have a feeling Ford will offer an improved towing package in the future.

Should be interesting to see how they do it—guessing it’ll only be offered without the Sasquatch package and perhaps exclude the more “pure” off-roading trims like Badlands. They don’t have a whole lot of GCWR to work with, so either they gotta go higher-end components like the Raptor, or they have to sacrifice some off-road capabilities.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mainly it’s the linear anchors they added on to the hitch piece. The frame itself (T6 Gen 2) is more than capable of handling twice the standard Bronco tow rating as it stands. However the draw bar has a reduced amount of linear strength due to how the receiver is mounted (c channel). Can it tow more than the rating without the bars?, sure but I wouldn’t trust it to do it for life. In severe abuse testing they had a tendency to cause the crossmember to twist and break welds.

Not that any official ratings will increase, for legal reasons, you can delete the muffler and add the Raptor hitch (or modify the existing) and bars you’ll have no real physical difference in regards to towing structure. I looked into adding tow mode to the GOAT modes but the ABS as-built is a little more complex than the regular models so that’s going to be more of an experiment.
Kicker part number? Got the new hitches, just can't find the two bars coming off. Not that it matters since the muff is in the way but my curiosity overrules common practicality.

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kicker part number? Got the new hitches, just can't find the two bars coming off. Not that it matters since the muff is in the way but my curiosity overrules common practicality.
Good question. I had some stashed somewhere I’ll see if I can find them

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Dana 50 rear end
Sponsored