First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So outside of the discussion on his antics and driving abilities, this brings up two potential issues with the Bronco that should be considered.

1 - many vehicles have a fuel pump cut for roll-overs. This cut may be occurring at the designed point (which may or may not be too early), but we should probably all be aware of what angle it occurs.

2 - the possibility of fuel starvation at particular angles and fuel levels. I had a 95 Trans Am that under 1/2 tank would cut out when I exceeded 1.1 g in a sustained turn (clearly outside of the designed parameters) but capable of achieving with race rubber and the right suspension on the right freeway clover on ramps. The solution is a swirl tank and secondary pump to prevent starvation (but is outside of what I would expect Ford to provide in a stock vehicle).

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So outside of the discussion on his antics and driving abilities, this brings up two potential issues with the Bronco that should be considered.

1 - many vehicles have a fuel pump cut for roll-overs. This cut may be occurring at the designed point (which may or may not be too early), but we should probably all be aware of what angle it occurs.

2 - the possibility of fuel starvation at particular angles and fuel levels. I had a 95 Trans Am that under 1/2 tank would cut out when I exceeded 1.1 g in a sustained turn (clearly outside of the designed parameters) but capable of achieving with race rubber and the right suspension on the right freeway clover on ramps. The solution is a swirl tank and secondary pump to prevent starvation (but is outside of what I would expect Ford to provide in a stock vehicle).
I've wheeled with tons of jeeps over the years and I've never seen the fuel pump cutout for any angle. You would think on vehicles designed for this stuff, it would be a pretty complex algorithm of angle and accelerations (hopefully, it is not some new over the top safety reg). At a minimum, it should not be kicking in at anything below rated accent/depature.

I had thought BB's rig was a 2.3 manual, but I guess if he has more than one, so who knows. A little concerning that another poster in this thread (IIRC) had the engine stall with an auto.

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you steer when the engine is off??? yeah...
Can you burn the tires off the truck when it’s stalled. It is clearly running

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sucks to see, and if it drove out under its own power great. That guy sure uses his stuff...abuses it too...lol.

I am really interested in the steering bushing/sleeve and maybe the sam-itch bars. I would like to see a load test on both against the stock setup too see how much the bar/breakpoint is moved.

What does broncobuster do for a living? I mean he has some nice spendy equipment in the background of his videos.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m shocked no one has mentioned that on a failed hill climb you want to get it into reverse and let 4low do it’s thing. This will allow a controlled descent, last thing you want to do is try and use the brakes.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is the knucklehead who cons people into putting plastic inserts into their steering rack to “strengthen it”
I'm curious of your thoughts? I'm thinking of purchasing this knuckleheads kit. From my understanding the plastic sleeve is simply to fill the gap so the track stays aligned with the teeth at extreme angles.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am really interested in the steering bushing/sleeve and maybe the sam-itch bars. I would like to see a load test on both against the stock setup too see how much the bar/breakpoint is moved.
I don't know about a load test, but he did do another video with LiteBrite after his fixes, and he put a lot of pressure on the steering components with no issues.

Of course you have to stomach a LiteBrite clickbait.

techdisaster

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did anyone else wince at the Bronco Nation livestream last night where they mentioned this incident? They went on to say they are hearing more reports of engines stalling on climbs and if it happens to you, you should report it.

They also said all his airbags deployed on the rollover. What a pricey mistake.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The emergency fuel shutoff is an inertia switch so unless there is a sharp impact it will not be activated. Unless you are low on fuel the angle of your vehicle will not affect the operation of an electric fuel pump. Having enough fuel in the tank to do the things you want is all on the driver.

Bender

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They also said all his airbags deployed on the rollover. What a pricey mistake.
Maybe Ford could adjust the airbag algorithm so that if the speed is < 20 mph, require at least 1 full 360 rotation on any axis. Or wait until the 3rd bounce. 😀

joez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you go to the tiktok page he shows the damage. The air bags did not go off and he never says why the engine cut out. He does say he drove it the next day.
He also says that when the engine cut out he couldn't steer. I have driven many cars that have hydraulic power steering and when the engine cuts out you can still steer. But you better have done you upper body work outs. What happens when the engine cuts out with electric power-assisted steering? You should still be able to steer.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The emergency fuel shutoff is an inertia switch so unless there is a sharp impact it will not be activated. Unless you are low on fuel the angle of your vehicle will not affect the operation of an electric fuel pump. Having enough fuel in the tank to do the things you want is all on the driver.
But what is that "inertia" set to? You can be on a slippery stepped rock face and "get into it" to get up one step only to slam full speed with the front end into the next one.
Sponsored