Sponsored

Running regular fuel octane with 2.7 Ford Performance Calibration Tune?

Patrickgault

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am considering asking for the new performance upgrade to be installed before I pick up my 2.7L Outer Banks in November. My only concern is that it's stated that you always have to run premium fuel. Question: what would happen if you had to use regular octane at some point? The world is nuts and not sure if premium will always be available. Thanks I'm advance.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

In times of shortage it's usually premium that remains. I'm pretty sure the Ford tune still keeps the detonation sensors and will let you run lower but I wouldn't make it a habit.

Search the tune posts, it's been explained allot better than I can do it.

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can run the lower octane fuel just not full load and wide open throttle pulls. That is where the detonation will occur. So drive like a grandma on low octane!

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a supercharged Bullitt mustang. The above is correct. Also, engine and air temp make a difference. In the hottest 3 months super is best (or baby it). Mid year, can run mid grade with normal driving but no flooring it / redline. coldest months I’ve ran Regular to save money or when availability issues and just keep rpms low. Been no issue for 13 years on a stock bottom end…

OP
OP
Patrickgault

Patrickgault

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Appreciate the thoughts. I'm not sure that a few extra HP and Torque in the Bronco would be worth the worry.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am considering asking for the new performance upgrade to be installed before I pick up my 2.7L Outer Banks in November. My only concern is that it's stated that you always have to run premium fuel. Question: what would happen if you had to use regular octane at some point? The world is nuts and not sure if premium will always be available. Thanks I'm advance.
They make fuel octane additives that are compact, I keep some in our Shelby and Raptor and have only had to use it once but it never hurts to have it.
Sponsored