Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
but HOW bad

I just did a quick google and it seemed that they just wont perform as good as normal all weather tires. Not TERRIBLE

I dont want tires that will be shit in the rain. But i can deal with a slight downgrade
I have owned vehicles with both BFG A/Ts and M/Ts (both KM2 and KM3). The A/T is hands down better in rain and snow. You can actually drive it daily in snow. OTOH, the M/T get skittery on concrete on-ramps in the rain. The A/T actually earns a mud/snow rating and the mountain/snowflake emblem that goes with it. BFG's M/Ts do not, though I cannot speak for the Goodyear tires.

I have BFG M/T KM3s on my F150 right now, but I'll probably go back to their A/Ts next time. They seemed worse on my Grand Cherokee, since that was a full-time AWD transfer case situation. By always driving the front, the front tires have to divide their traction between Drive and Steer. On the F150, they usually only have to Steer, so they put 100% of their bite into that. But the damn Jeep would push out the front end if I tried to accelerate around a turn in the rain. When I had A/Ts on my former V8 Mountaineer (also a full-time case), that never happened.

With that said, I've still had actual proper snow tires on separate wheels for winter time. So while the A/T is capable of winter daily driving, I'd still go with snow tires if I was going to be off the beaten path in the winter.

That's another issue - it is hard to find snow tires bigger than about 33". So, if anyone does intend to buy snows for their Bronco, you'll be able to match stock rolling radius of the Badland's 33s, but you probably won't be able to for the Sasquatch 35s. In that case, you'd be stuck with smaller tires in the winter...
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One thing I don't like about this forum is that everyone thinks that everyone else is shopping the same trim, powertrain. and 2/4 door that they are - and speaks accordingly.

On the BL+manual, gear ratio is no difference squatch or not. Manual ain't getting no trail assist, regardless. On BL, the forged beadlock wheels are optional without squatch.

Sorry, not trying to jump down your throat, but it becomes very confusing when many statements are made that carry with them some huge assumptions. Just wanted to clarify those points. Especially since this is a Badlands titled thread.
I can’t wait to see the actual price for us Manual folks as we don’t get the extra GOAT modes most likely, already will have the gearing, can’t have trail turn or the one pedal drive stuff so hopefully that translates the cost being less to get Sas vs those with Auto

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have owned vehicles with both BFG A/Ts and M/Ts (both KM2 and KM3). The A/T is hands down better in rain and snow. You can actually drive it daily in snow. OTOH, the M/T get skittery on concrete on-ramps in the rain. The A/T actually earns a mud/snow rating and the mountain/snowflake emblem that goes with it. BFG's M/Ts do not, though I cannot speak for the Goodyear tires.

I have BFG M/T KM3s on my F150 right now, but I'll probably go back to their A/Ts next time. They seemed worse on my Grand Cherokee, since that was a full-time AWD transfer case situation. By always driving the front, the front tires have to divide their traction between Drive and Steer. On the F150, they usually only have to Steer, so they put 100% of their bite into that. But the damn Jeep would push out the front end if I tried to accelerate around a turn in the rain. When I had A/Ts on my former V8 Mountaineer (also a full-time case), that never happened.

With that said, I've still had actual proper snow tires on separate wheels for winter time. So while the A/T is capable of winter daily driving, I'd still go with snow tires if I was going to be off the beaten path in the winter.

That's another issue - it is hard to find snow tires bigger than about 33". So, if anyone does intend to buy snows for their Bronco, you'll be able to match stock rolling radius of the Badland's 33s, but you probably won't be able to for the Sasquatch 35s. In that case, you'd be stuck with smaller tires in the winter...
On a side note, did you get decent tread life out of the BFG A/T? Looking at getting those for my 4Runner or going K02

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

do you think these problems might be killed by some of the bronco driving modes/technology?

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the BL+manual, gear ratio is no difference squatch or not. Manual ain't getting no trail assist, regardless. On BL, the forged beadlock wheels are optional without squatch.
at this point, there's no reason that trail turn requires an automatic transmission. it's software that causes the rear locker to unlock at extreme steering wheel angles when commanded by a dash board switch and steering wheel angle. the steering wheel angle determines which rear wheel to lock.

the software is probably what's driving late availability for mansquatch.

one pedal, on the other hand, definitely requires automatic transmission.

Sponsored

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the BL+manual, gear ratio is no difference squatch or not.
Oh that kind of stinks - would be nice to have an option.

On BL, the forged beadlock wheels are optional without squatch.
Good to know, I was under the impression you had to go Sasquatch since the rims are wider (aren't they) - so more targeted to 12.5" wide tires.

Sorry, not trying to jump down your throat, but it becomes very confusing when many statements are made that carry with them some huge assumptions.
No worries. I think what we really need is a table that shows all the actual known (believed to be known) options in one spot. I agree that the value of Sasquatch becomes a little less clear with the Manual trans (no gearing change, no front digs).

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That’s a little confusing, but you can get both 33s and 35s on both C and D load ratings, which are the two options you would get in this range. The new Terrain in 315 is a C rated tire, the same as the 33.
you cant get smoother riding 35s?
35" tires. 315/70R70, come in load range C, D and E only, no P/S lighter load range.

C load range would be the best ride of the three, but not as smooth as P/S. It really depends what your used to, coming from a truck or Jeep you will be fine, coming from a car, CUV or SUV, not as smooth as your use to. Its all a trade-off for water you want.

Not a whole lot of choice in A/T, load range C tires.
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/315-70R17.htm

Last edited:

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe that the Trail turn assist is available on the non-squatched Badlands as long as you have the 10spd auto.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

at this point, there's no reason that trail turn requires an automatic transmission. it's software that causes the rear locker to unlock at extreme steering wheel angles when commanded by a dash board switch and steering wheel angle. the steering wheel angle determines which rear wheel to lock.

the software is probably what's driving late availability for mansquatch.

one pedal, on the other hand, definitely requires automatic transmission.
Would love to see that, but I thought that it was already stated that this feature was for automatic only.

Oh that kind of stinks - would be nice to have an option.

Good to know, I was under the impression you had to go Sasquatch since the rims are wider (aren't they) - so more targeted to 12.5" wide tires.

No worries. I think what we really need is a table that shows all the actual known (believed to be known) options in one spot. I agree that the value of Sasquatch becomes a little less clear with the Manual trans (no gearing change, no front digs).
This is a good link if you haven't seen it yet...

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...pdf/2021-Bronco-2dr-4dr-Prelim-Tech-Specs.pdf

The wheels, according to what I've seen are a half inch wider, but theyr'e still quite a bit of flexibility with both the 8" or the 8.5". I won't say that they're interchangeable... but they're basically interchangeable.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Sasq. also has the locking front/rear dif. I don't think that is on the Badlands as a standard. That along is something big of a difference.
Wrong - Badlands comes standard with front and rear lockers.

If MT - the only difference is wheels, tires, flares and 10mm bumpstops. The math says there may be an additional 0.6" suspension lift, but no one has been able to confirm anything other than the Bilsteins are the same on stock Badlands and Squatch.

On AT you get 4.7 vs 4.46 gearing with Squatch.

To answer the OP, if you intent is to lift later, then I would go no-Squatch unless the upcharge for Squatch is pretty cheap. Put your money into the lift later. In the meantime you will have a rig capable of enough trail difficulty to figure out how much you like and want to invest in off roading.

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would love to see that, but I thought that it was already stated that this feature was for automatic only.
it's been stated elsewhere in this forum that trail turn assist feature (aka line brakes) has been implemented elsewhere for stick shift vehicles.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On a side note, did you get decent tread life out of the BFG A/T? Looking at getting those for my 4Runner or going K02
Decent, though I couldn't tell you the mileage now. The bigger issue with the A/T was that the compound tends to harden after a few years. So, they might be too worn, but still become less grippy when its cold out. That's part of why I switched to proper snows in the winter.

do you think these problems might be killed by some of the bronco driving modes/technology?
All of the electronics and tech in the world won't change the fact that the tire has to grip the road to work. So, the limits of that grip limits everything else. We say "where the rubber meets the road" for a good reason - the tire is the car's single most important part. Every single thing that a vehicle does while its moving happens because the tires' grip allows it.

So, electronic chassis controls can help in certain situations. When a tire spins, traction control can mitigate. When it slides, the stability control can try to correct. GOAT modes will essentially tailor the reaction of these systems to better suit the situation. But none of it creates grip that the tire does not have.

Mud terrain tires are compounded and have a tread designed to work in a dirt and mud environment. They are designed specific to that environment, much like how R-compound tires are designed specific for race track use. The "all-terrain" tire is more of an all-season for off road. It isn't as focused on one mission, so it can do other jobs (like all-weather) reasonably well. As a result, they will always be better at rain and snow daily driving that M/Ts will. In fact, M/T tires are poor choice for any daily driving in general. I say that, but, again, I have M/T KM3s on my daily driven truck...

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it's been stated elsewhere in this forum that trail turn assist feature (aka line brakes) has been implemented elsewhere for stick shift vehicles.
That would be wonderful. I have no doubt it's possible, but Ford's current comparison matrix indicates that the feature is only for the 10sp. So one shouldn't assume that they are going to get it until it's in writing from ford.

That said, it seems at this point that nothing is really in writing until B&P is up.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
35" tires. 315/70R70, come in load range C, D and E only, no P/S lighter load range.

C load range would be the best ride of the three, but not as smooth as P/S. It really depends what your used to, coming from a truck or Jeep you will be fine, coming from a car, CUV or SUV, not as smooth as your use to. Its all a trade-off for water you want.

Not a whole lot of choice in load range C.
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/315-70R17.htm

35/12.5/17
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/35X12.50R17.htm
Okay, maybe I’m missing something. I’ve had lots of 33” A/Ts...all come in load range C,D,E or F. Can you link in a suitable A/T or M/T tire in 285/70r17 in P/S?