Sponsored

Sasquatch w/ towing package = not enough room to hook the trailer to the ball!

2DoorDan

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Such a tragedy for this family. But it has to be said, they weren't just using a drop hitch, they cobbled together a fatally dangerous setup, and stressed it to the breaking point with a RUNNING START. I mean, this one deserves a Darwin award.

When you're talking about drop hitches, everyone needs to review the recent tragedy in Arizona that involved a drop hitch. As stated in the article:

"According to Colorado 4X4 Rescue and Recovery, a drop hitch is not engineered to withstand the forces that are present during an off-road recovery, particularly due to the force multiplication at play with this type of hitch."

Therefore, don't attach a rescue strap to the ball of a drop hitch!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a41300347/father-killed-in-off-road-recovery-accident/
Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So HF obviously isn't the best quality, but I've had this unit for going on 20 years and it's doing great and works perfectly with a 35. Just the right combo of extension and drop.

Screenshot 2023-06-26 075215.png

Farm8265

Badlands
First Name
STAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F 350 KING RANCH, 2017 VOLVO T90,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s pointless to have a towing package with the rear tire so large. Not enough room to hook the trailer to the ball!
Use a drop hitch

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So HF obviously isn't the best quality, but I've had this unit for going on 20 years and it's doing great and works perfectly with a 35. Just the right combo of extension and drop.

Ford Bronco Sasquatch w/ towing package = not enough room to hook the trailer to the ball! Screenshot 2023-06-26 075215
And adjustable too. With this style, you have options to set the proper height for "your" trailer. Ball Mounts are not a one size works for all trailers product.

pgordon888

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BroncWTRK; 2019 F350 Bagged; 2014 GTR 1200hp
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have always used B&W Tow n Stows on all my trucks / SUVs. Only hitch you will ever need for any trailer and they are built rock solid. For my Widtrak SAS I went with the the 5 inch drop adjustment 3 ball model and it has worked great on at least 3 different cargo / dump / PWC trailers. I also added the Ford factory brake controller as at least my dump trailer has brakes. Buy once and cry once (its an expensive hitch).

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I had 2 versions with one having a larger adjustable drop, but this is 13" just on the shaft. They are rated for 15k lbs. Obviously these are overrated for what the bronco can use but it solves not using flimsy extensions.

Ford Bronco Sasquatch w/ towing package = not enough room to hook the trailer to the ball! PXL_20230626_175718094

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s pointless to have a towing package with the rear tire so large. Not enough room to hook the trailer to the ball!
I remove the spare tire when I'm pulling a trailer. I have a 2" drop ball which works fine for many hitches, but the Uhaul massive hitch can be put on, but can't get it off with the tire on there.

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The drop needed goes by the trailer. Not all are the same. If it hits the tire then you need an extension.
This is the situ I was in - close to the rear tire but clearance on turns and on hook up, etc. This drop trailer looks like the way forward.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the situ I was in - close to the rear tire but clearance on turns and on hook up, etc. This drop trailer looks like the way forward.
Provided the drop you select does not make the front of the trailer too high or low. Measure your trailer and purchase accordingly or buy an adjustable one. Not towing the trailer level creates its own set of problems like sway.

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I mean, this one deserves a Darwin award.
Really! Darwin Awards require a "Sublimely idiotic misapplication of judgment." The average Joe doesn't have advanced degrees in structural engineering and metallurgy. A large metal component connected to a truck's frame and capable of hauling a heavy trailer would seem to most people sturdy enough to allow it to tug on a tow strap. Rather than judge the participants, let's warn others of the dangers that drop hitches can pose. Also, most people are unaware of the force needed to free a vehicle mired down to its frame in gooey mud. That may be the time to consider a professional rescue / recovery service. The guy who's hitch broke was just responding to a friend's phone call for help. I feel bad for him. Save that Darwin Award for those that truly deserve it.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Makes sense

But do you have a point of reference on how much compromise? % capacity reduction per inch of-extension, -drop, etc?
this should be common sense for humans....the percentage of length you add is also the percentage ot tonge weight you LOSE...for example make the hitch twice as long, lose half the strength (or capacity).!!!! this is a HORRIBLE thing to do the Bronco.

I went the other direction folks....I re-drilled the pin hole 2" closer so now the ball sits even closer to the bumper. this actually ADDs capacity instead, as it removes some of the leverage and the twisting moment on the hitch and also puts the balls fulcrum closer to the center of ther rear axle. much better for towing!!!!

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Really! Darwin Awards require a "Sublimely idiotic misapplication of judgment." The average Joe doesn't have advanced degrees in structural engineering and metallurgy. A large metal component connected to a truck's frame and capable of hauling a heavy trailer would seem to most people sturdy enough to allow it to tug on a tow strap. Rather than judge the participants, let's warn others of the dangers that drop hitches can pose. Also, most people are unaware of the force needed to free a vehicle mired down to its frame in gooey mud. That may be the time to consider a professional rescue / recovery service. The guy who's hitch broke was just responding to a friend's phone call for help. I feel bad for him. Save that Darwin Award for those that truly deserve it.
sounds like an excuse for stupidity to me...humans need higher standards for intelligence, NOT lower ones.

2DoorDan

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm the process of making changes to my trailer so that a hitch extension is not necessary. As people in this forum said, I bought a trailer jack that clamps to the side and will remove the original one near the coupler. It will also rotate to a horizonal position out of the way of the Bronco rear gate. Better all the way around. Thanks guys!

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
this should be common sense for humans....the percentage of length you add is also the percentage ot tonge weight you LOSE...for example make the hitch twice as long, lose half the strength (or capacity).!!!! this is a HORRIBLE thing to do the Bronco.

I went the other direction folks....I re-drilled the pin hole 2" closer so now the ball sits even closer to the bumper. this actually ADDs capacity instead, as it removes some of the leverage and the twisting moment on the hitch and also puts the balls fulcrum closer to the center of ther rear axle. much better for towing!!!!
So doing what you did, how much towing capacity did that 2" add (lbs or %)?

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So doing what you did, how much towing capacity did that 2" add (lbs or %)?
it now squats about 1" less with the trailer attached....which weighs 3400 lbs and has around 450 lbs on the tongue.
Sponsored