Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is it fun enough to get worse mpg and a slower truck?
Not talking about the 6 either

The slushbox 4 will be faster and more efficient than the manual

Sure shifting is fun, but if you can't do it better than the machine then what's the point? None of us can shift better than the machine anymore
Shifting a manual transmission is not about the speed of the shift but rather the timing of the shift. No automatic can ANTICIPATE when to shift based on traffic conditions and what is in the mind of the driver. A hydraulic torque converter can only shift so fast because there are changes in fluid pressures that can't be compensated for by solenoid timing. The automatics that can actually "shift faster" to gain track speed advantage over a human/manual set up are not ordinary torque converter automatics, but rather DCT transmissions that are actually a manual transmission in gearbox design with dual clutched input shafts to speed shifting. That is not the 10-speed in the New Bronco.

In 99.99% of the time for street or trail riding, a few milliseconds of increased shift speed doesn't really matter. MPG gains are slight and achievable in EPA testing (which is what the transmission is programmed to achieve). In actual real driving, the MPG gains are insignificant and highly variable based on how the vehicle is driven.

We manual purists discount any of the proclaimed advantages of a modern computer-controlled torque converter automatic, because none of those perceived gains counteract our desire to shift the transmission when we want to based on our interaction with traffic conditions.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I loved driving my 1994 Ranger 4x4 with the 5 speed and my 72 Bronco with the AX-15 conversion but I'm starting to think that with the manual in the new Bronco I will be missing out on some cool new 4x4 technology like trail turn assist and one pedal driving. The 2.7 with auto is starting to pull at me. Thoughts...
Trail Turn assist and 2.7L for sure, but One Pedal Driving just makes up for not having the control of a clutch and manual transmission in my eyes. It makes getting the automatic and OK-ish compromise...

RobC2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3P
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Own three manuals right now, two sports cars and a pickup. The manual truck would be okay if it was the only manual I drove, but it is just super clunky compared to my cars. I would make do if you could get the 2.7 with a manual, but being forced into the smaller engine put me over the edge with the Bronco, so I will b ordering an automatic.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After being pretty set on the base (with the auto standard) I'm now back to the manual as my preferred choice. I was considering a base 4dr, but looking at the gear/crawl ratios I think my plan to upgrade to 33's would kinda suck. Now I know why the AT is standard on the base, because anyone who looks at this would be crazy to pick the 2.3L. I might still do a base with the 2.7L upgrade, but no way I'm getting a base with the 2.3L/AT. Now thinking BB with the 2.3L and MT to get the better gearing.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All the praise for the 2.7 really pulls at me , BUT as I have stated in many other threads.... HoosierDaughter (14) really wants to learn a manual and she is excited about this new Bronco also, so, for me it is about making a cherished memory that we'll carry with us for our life times.
I agree with all of the arguments against the MT for this vehicle. However, this is the one thing still pulling me towards the idea. It may be a completely impractical and romanticized idea to go with the MT, but my 16 yo daughter is chomping at the bit for me to teach her how to drive one. The way things are going for automobiles this might be my only chance to pass on this life skill. I still fondly reflect on the moments of my mother teaching me how to drive in her little MT Ford Probe.

The way I see it, I am teaching her how to drive MT on this Bronco or some DB boy is going to take up the task down the road somewhere.

Sponsored

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with all of the arguments against the MT for this vehicle. However, this is the one thing still pulling me towards the idea. It may be a completely impractical and romanticized idea to go with the MT, but my 16 yo daughter is chomping at the bit for me to teach her how to drive one. The way things are going for automobiles this might be my only chance to pass on this life skill. I still fondly reflect on the moments of my mother teaching me how to drive in her little MT Ford Probe.

The way I see it, I am teaching her how to drive MT on this Bronco or some DB boy is going to take up the task down the road somewhere.
You know, but to do this I have to make a lot of sacrifices. I was dead set on the 2.7 v6 so I'll be sacrificing the power. I'll also be sacrificing convenience. Do you smoke? Drink coffee, play on your phone while driving (you SOB)? Kiss that good bye. Also driving in traffic will suck.

Is it reasonable to get a MT transmission? Not at all. but YOLO?

In my twenties I bought a MT Camaro and booooy was it fun! One the first day I owned it I spun out on the highway which was covered in snow and ice (a story for another time). One time I was out w/ my GF and I slipped on the ice and sprang my left ankle. I tried but I just couldn't put any pressure on the clutch w/o immense pain. My GF had no idea how to drive a MT. I was stuck in the passenger seat trying to teach her to drive a MT while I was wincing in pain (both physically and mentally) as she continuously ground the gears. That was NOT a fun memory of having a MT. So pack that away for what it's worth.

Drafting_Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 GT/CS, 20 Honda Insight EX & 19 Mazda CX9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I am in the same boat. Want to teach my 16yr old daughter how to drive a MT. I haven't had a manual trans since 2007 and I'm getting one with the Bronco because they may not be around much longer. I have a car already that gets 50+MPG so I'm not concerned about commuting in this thing. Getting a MT also helps with the options on my builds. Keeps it simple as I can't have packages on either a Base/BB/BD.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My first thought was that being able to buy a non-Jeep SUV in a manual was going to make one awesome Cactus Green fun machine!

But I did have a second thought that crept in and turned me away from that...

After weighing all the options and trade-offs necessary to get it from Ford, I changed my mind and now believe a Velocity Blue manual non-Jeep would be even better!

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going back to a manual transmission is one of the big reasons why I'm excited to get the Bronco. I would love to get the 2.7L but the 2.3L will be fine for almost everything I plan on doing.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It kills me that Ford didnt offer the 2.7 Manual but it would probably kill me more to be forced to drive an auto Bronco. A real sport transmission with paddle shifters might have changed my mind a bit but I have an Auto Camry Hybrid daily and its Boring.

2dr 2.3 Basemansquatch for me. 4.7 gears will move it quite well in addition to a tune for another 80-100 HP and torque.

Sponsored

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welp... can’t argue with the logic. It’s harder, slower, outdated, and locks you out of a lot of nice options.

But for $50k you can get something faster, more efficient, more luxurious, or even better off-road (dirt bike, SxS, built old jeep + a truck to pull it). I’m buying a Bronco because of how it makes me feel. I feel more engaged and more satisfied going “slow” rowing my own.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably my favorite comment regarding this was something to the effect of ....
"I won't have to worry about most of her friends wanting to drive it." LMAO!

HoosierDaughter just turned 15 and will get her learners permit any day now !!!!
We (the family) will all have a good discussion come order time now .... that 2.7 is really calling me. I can load up a Base Squatch,V6 etc for under or right at $40k! Pretty happy about that.

I see the lights turn green and people just sit there daydreaming for half the length of the light.

I currently drive a Mazda 3 6MT. It's got a weak 2.5l NA which peaks out at 184hp. I'm always the first off the line. And in my past life, i.e. pre-pandemic, I would routinely pass high hp, luxury and supercars.
Exact same experience with my NA 2.5L auto OUTBACK. Subie does a great job with their gearing, plus paying attention at the light ....God how I hate being the second or third car back.

Funksurfsoul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All this talk about how the 2.3 might not have enough power sounds like bullshit to me. The 2.3l has several videos of tune-ups and things you can do to it to get an outrageous amount of power from it. Ford has already mentioned something like “we’ve seen people get an absurd amount of horsepower and torque out of these engines” which if you search online there are tons of videos of people pushing these far past the 275hp 310.
I’m actually stoked for the 7 speed manual and that they’re using a tried, tested and true engine. Even with my Sasquatch package, this thing is gonna do just fine.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The automatics that can actually "shift faster" to gain track speed advantage over a human/manual set up are not ordinary torque converter automatics, but rather DCT transmissions that are actually a manual transmission in gearbox design with dual clutched input shafts to speed shifting. That is not the 10-speed in the New Bronco.
Untrue.

2018 Mustang GT with a stick:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a14500071/2018-ford-mustang-gt-manual-test-review/

0-60 in 4.3 seconds, quarter mile in 12.6@115

2018 Mustang GT with Ford's 10 speed auto:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a24847025/2018-ford-mustang-automatic-transmission-performance/

0-60 in 3.8 seconds, quarter mile in 12.1@120

The very same 10 speed that Ford is putting in the Bronco managed to knock a half second off of the 0-60 and quarter miles times in the Mustang. The latest generation of torque-converter autos are very very good.
Sponsored