Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Could use some experienced advice on the practical realities of a snow sock

I’ve read many threads on chains vs. studs vs. Blizzaks. Etc. I’m caught up. Most advice says don’t bother but we are working in Kirkwood, Tahoe and Mammoth (See clip at end of thread , Not Mine) and it is crazy here. We need traction and is not a recreational need. We have a solid recovery set of gear but some of the city streets here during a warm/cold cycle render 40k pound soft shackles useless.

I respect the pro advice in here that warn against inviting a chains vs. nice wheels battle.
Is the snow sock a real option for a 6G on 33’s?

Thanx Bronco 6G!

Sponsored

Last edited:

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I’ve never heard of a snow sock. But I’ll look it up.

Studded tires are pretty much unstoppable (or more like stoppable). There is no such thing as 4wd stop…it only works for GO.

Hakepellita is the top notch studded snow. Ask the AK guys. I have them on our Camry and you would never know it’s a 2wd.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Chains are for ice, not snow. They aren't a magic pill that prevents you from sliding, some sense and practice is required with them.

Snow socks are gaining some popularity. I've never tried any, but from all accounts, they can get you out of a bad spot, but aren't very durable.

Snow tires are the absolute best options, but shouldn't be used on dry pavement much, they pretty much start to melt away after ~40mph.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Blizzaks all day long! That was my winter tire on all my cars in the mountains here in Colorado. I no longer live where it snows 6 months out of the year so it's not worth buying dedicated snow tires now. I was always amazed at how good they were and never was disappointed with them.

OP
OP
FilmcoBronci

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Chains are for ice, not snow. They aren't a magic pill that prevents you from sliding, some sense and practice is required with them.

Snow socks are gaining some popularity. I've never tried any, but from all accounts, they can get you out of a bad spot, but aren't very durable.

Snow tires are the absolute best options, but shouldn't be used on dry pavement much, they pretty much start to melt away after ~40mph.
Yes agree. We spend the bulk of work time in Colorado and we run 3Peak rated Wildpeak AT-3’s. They are brilliant there.
But we’ve seen some different s#it here in the High Sierras. The Snow/rain/Ice cycles are intense and extreme.
I don’t know AK guys. Unsure if they get rain like the Sierras. Hence the Chains vs.Snow Sock for ice is under consideration.

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Youtuber Casey Ladelle uses snow socks. He runs a Towing and Recovery company. One of his recent videos he used them on his tow truck.

Seems they work and are far easier to get on and get off than chains.
He also uses chains and variety of recovery gear.

One of his rigs has chains that can be electrically deployed. That's a really cool setup.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’ve never heard of a snow sock. But I’ll look it up.

Studded tires are pretty much unstoppable (or more like stoppable). There is no such thing as 4wd stop…it only works for GO.

Hakepellita is the top notch studded snow. Ask the AK guys. I have them on our Camry and you would never know it’s a 2wd.
Nice video comparison on snow socks

OP
OP
FilmcoBronci

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice video comparison on snow socks
Thank you!
Youtuber Casey Ladelle uses snow socks. He runs a Towing and Recovery company. One of his recent videos he used them on his tow truck.

One of his rigs has chains that can be electrically deployed. That's a really cool setup.
Much appreciated! I will check out his the TFL Thank you.

OP
OP
FilmcoBronci

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Outstanding and I knew 6g was the right place. Much Appreciated.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I’ve read many threads on chains vs. studs vs. Blizzaks. Etc. I’m caught up. Most advice says don’t bother but we are working in Kirkwood, Tahoe and Mammoth (See clip at end of thread , Not Mine) and it is crazy here. We need traction and is not a recreational need. We have a solid recovery set of gear but some of the city streets here during a warm/cold cycle render 40k pound soft shackles useless.

I respect the pro advice in here that warn against inviting a chains vs. nice wheels battle.
Is the snow sock a real option for a 6G on 33’s?

Thanx Bronco 6G!

For those non Californians, chains don’t need to be installed, just carried when one has 4 wheel drive and snow tires (any all season tire qualifies) in most adverse weather situations. As I live just below the Sierras, I purchased cables, not chains to meet the requirement of inspection at chain control. Normally, chains/cables are mounted on the front wheels of a 4WD, but the owners manual indicates rear wheel fitment is necessary. The cable brand I got came from Titan Chain and Supply. I’ve never used snow socks, so I know nothing about them, but in all my years, I have never had to install chains on a 4WD vehicle, just carry them to get past inspection.

Last edited:

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For just deep snow go watch some snow wheeling videos. If you air down you can go through anything, until you high center on the snow. Then back up and smash it down. These Broncos are vastly more capable than anything else out there in those conditions (you Jeep people keep quiet).

What do you mean the soft shackles are useless?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've heard good things about snow socks, but I've never used them or seen them used around my area (central Sierras)

Anyone that uses chains on a regular basis has cam-lock style chains around here, if they don't have the autochain system (the bigger trucks)

I got a set of through-the-spoke chains that I carry just for inspections. If I had to use them, I suspect they would work once and be disposable. I've only ever had to put on chains once though in California on the road (although several times on my tractor when out plowing).

I can say I've seen Michelin CrossClimates go over snow where chains had trouble though. But only forward, you touch reverse and it's instantly buried and stuck.

OP
OP
FilmcoBronci

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For just deep snow go watch some snow wheeling videos. If you air down you can go through anything, until you high center on the snow. Then back up and smash it down. These Broncos are vastly more capable than anything else out there in those conditions (you Jeep people keep quiet).

What do you mean the soft shackles are useless?
Thanks. We are fairly well seasoned in consistent snow on marginally deep off-roads as we film in the back country quite a bit. The variety of precipitation determined by snow level make for steep Icy roads in Truckee, Tahoe City, Mammoth, and other urban centers in the High Sierras. The frequent rain and freeze cycles deliver drama.

I was specifically wondering if any 6G owners have experience using chains, cables or the snow sock. The OM is not fond of chains beyond the 32' OEM Tire/wheel combo.
High altitude Colorado snow, we are in the zone with our 3Peak Falken Wildpeak AT3's
Sierra Cement is another situation and I was wondering if any folks had experience with the Snow sock since chains seem to be out of favor with Broncos OEM.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. We are fairly well seasoned in consistent snow on marginally deep off-roads as we film in the back country quite a bit. The variety of precipitation determined by snow level make for steep Icy roads in Truckee, Tahoe City, Mammoth, and other urban centers in the High Sierras. The frequent rain and freeze cycles deliver drama.

I was specifically wondering if any 6G owners have experience using chains, cables or the snow sock. The OM is not fond of chains beyond the 32' OEM Tire/wheel combo.
High altitude Colorado snow, we are in the zone with our 3Peak Falken Wildpeak AT3's
Sierra Cement is another situation and I was wondering if any folks had experience with the Snow sock since chains seem to be out of favor with Broncos OEM.
Are studded tires an option for the ice?

Did you read the myriad of chain threads and glean anything from them? All I could get out of them is to throw some chains in the back (regardless if they fit) to meet the legal obligations and just not worry about it.

OP
OP
FilmcoBronci

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are studded tires an option for the ice?

Did you read the myriad of chain threads and glean anything from them? All I could get out of them is to throw some chains in the back (regardless if they fit) to meet the legal obligations and just not worry about it.
Ha, Yes thanks.
I read the chain threads and there was nothing really relevant with regard to my specific ask.
Most refer to chains as needed to "have in the car" for enforcement but that does not apply to $WD vehicles with 3Peak rates Snow tires except for the most extreme weather category and in that case, most roads would be closed anyway.
Studs are likely effective but I go between the Rockies and the Sierras so not all that practical.
This is mostly for in town driving where some of the roads are truly insane. Some vehicles with chains have slid down some of the inclines so it may be a moot inquiry.

I watched the TFL video but they were testing the Snow Socks on snow so not really pertinent.
Also to answer your question re the soft shackles, anything shackeled to another vehicle in these instances is yanked down the icy black hole. Lol
Sponsored