Sponsored

Shock reservoirs on non sasquatch badlands are lower than sasquatch, might contact shock skid plates

OffroadBandit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm creating this post in the hopes of finding someone on here that's managed to mount a shock skid on a badlands without sasquatch.

Yesterday, I unboxed my Barnes 4wd shock skids in order to pop them on my non sasquatch badlands. During the installation, I realized that the reservoir rubber covering was contacting the skid, and that the lowest mounting bolt wasn't able to enter the skid fully as the reservoir was in the way there also.

After doing some digging and comparing to my friend's sas'ed base, it looks like the badlands, nonsas, Bilstein shocks have lower reservoirs than the sas shocks. This causes them to interfere with the bolt and press against the skid plate when mounted.

Unfortunately, this also means it's possible that all shock skid plates that were manufactured and tested on sas broncos will be incompatible with nonsas badlands.

Pics for reference. The dirty one is my friends sas base, lol, he's had his since January and has been enjoying it!

img_0721.jpeg

PXL_20221007_191617760~2.jpg

img_0720-1.jpeg

PXL_20221007_040119025.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
OffroadBandit

OffroadBandit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bumping my thread hopefully to get visibility. Anyone else with a non sasquatch badlands have shock skids installed?

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i installed these last friday and they didn't seem to touch at all. the bolts were a bitch to get in correctly but no issues with them touching. Once mine gets back i'll take some pics. Its in getting an oil pan replacement. Dealership changed the oil on friday and noticed the oil plug(2.7) was out just a little. Felt inside the pan and it had no tabs inside the pan. Are you sure the distance between the spring and reservoir isn't just how the spring perch sits on either model? My understanding is the shocks are the same.

Sponsored
OP
OP
OffroadBandit

OffroadBandit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These from DV8 don’t use those mounting holes so they might work for you. I plan on getting these since they cover the shock mount and the lower link.

https://dv8offroad.com/products/6th-gen-bronco-rear-shock-guard-skids
Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to avoid loosening the factory shock bolts as long as I could, but this might be the way I go.

i installed these last friday and they didn't seem to touch at all. the bolts were a bitch to get in correctly but no issues with them touching. Once mine gets back i'll take some pics. Its in getting an oil pan replacement. Dealership changed the oil on friday and noticed the oil plug(2.7) was out just a little. Felt inside the pan and it had no tabs inside the pan. Are you sure the distance between the spring and reservoir isn't just how the spring perch sits on either model? My understanding is the shocks are the same.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty confident the badlands nonsas reservoirs sit lower. Were you saying you installed the Barnes skids or the dv8's? You have a badlands without sasquatch?

Just to make sure I tried everything, I just tried removing that rubber covering on the reservoir and putting another washer in front of the lower bolt for the barnes, the bolts cleared fine, but the skid still pressed against the reservoir, which I feel like puts the shocks at an even greater risk of damage since any hit in the skids will transfer to the reservoir.

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the Broncbuster shock skids. I didn’t personally install them… think the mechanic needed a 3’ breaker bar.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to avoid loosening the factory shock bolts as long as I could, but this might be the way I go.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty confident the badlands nonsas reservoirs sit lower. Were you saying you installed the Barnes skids or the dv8's? You have a badlands without sasquatch?

Just to make sure I tried everything, I just tried removing that rubber covering on the reservoir and putting another washer in front of the lower bolt for the barnes, the bolts cleared fine, but the skid still pressed against the reservoir, which I feel like puts the shocks at an even greater risk of damage since any hit in the skids will transfer to the reservoir.
Non-sas Badlands and they are Barnes skids

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the Broncbuster skids on my stock Badlands. Fit fine. Clears the reservoirs.

20221013_115953_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed JCR Offroad rear shock skids on my non-SAS Badlands last weekend and they also fit fine.

ronij

Badlands
First Name
Roni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non-sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Non-sas Badlands and they are Barnes skids
Have you had any issues with the barnes skids on your non-sas badlands? Is your wheel/suspension setup stock?

I'm creating this post in the hopes of finding someone on here that's managed to mount a shock skid on a badlands without sasquatch.

Yesterday, I unboxed my Barnes 4wd shock skids in order to pop them on my non sasquatch badlands. During the installation, I realized that the reservoir rubber covering was contacting the skid, and that the lowest mounting bolt wasn't able to enter the skid fully as the reservoir was in the way there also.

After doing some digging and comparing to my friend's sas'ed base, it looks like the badlands, nonsas, Bilstein shocks have lower reservoirs than the sas shocks. This causes them to interfere with the bolt and press against the skid plate when mounted.

Unfortunately, this also means it's possible that all shock skid plates that were manufactured and tested on sas broncos will be incompatible with nonsas badlands.

Pics for reference. The dirty one is my friends sas base, lol, he's had his since January and has been enjoying it!
Did you ever figure out how to use the barnes skids? Is your wheel/suspension setup stock?

Thanks!

OP
OP
OffroadBandit

OffroadBandit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you had any issues with the barnes skids on your non-sas badlands? Is your wheel/suspension setup stock?

Did you ever figure out how to use the barnes skids? Is your wheel/suspension setup stock?

Thanks!
Barnes shock skids are good now on all stock suspension. I reached out to Barnes and explained the situation and they reworked their solution. The updated model is now available on their site.

ronij

Badlands
First Name
Roni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non-sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Barnes shock skids are good now on all stock suspension. I reached out to Barnes and explained the situation and they reworked their solution. The updated model is now available on their site.
Thank you!

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks!
No issues with them. I am stock now(stock levels, 33's). I WILL be doing a leveling kit this friday.
Sponsored