Sponsored

Soft tops for daily driving in cold winters ?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do in here in CO in my jeep (last 4 winters) and zero issues.
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My concern would be the plastic windows. Sub-zero temps are not friendly with soft pliable plastic. For NW Montana it will be a hardtop for me.
Dont use an ice scraper on them and no issue. I also dont try to remove my windows when its cold out either lol.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are soft stops really out of the question for daily driving in cold winters ?
I am in NY. I have only had a soft top for the past 12 years

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

*shrug* I'm from NY. So I guess i'll find out sooner or later :)

I mean it's got heat so i'm not that concerned. It might feel a bit cooler then my F150, that's for sure. But that's okay. I've never driven/owned a Jeep so it's a new experience for me. But it'll be worth the trade-off because us soft-top owners REALLY enjoy the hell outta the spring/summer/fall months. 3 out of 4 seasons of topless driving is WORTH the slightly colder temps I might get inside.

My real concern is the snow and damaging my windows (rears) cleaning snow off. The last thing I want to do is scratch up the plastic windows.
Long Island Bronco FB group

Sponsored

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

*shrug* I'm from NY. So I guess i'll find out sooner or later :)

I mean it's got heat so i'm not that concerned. It might feel a bit cooler then my F150, that's for sure. But that's okay. I've never driven/owned a Jeep so it's a new experience for me. But it'll be worth the trade-off because us soft-top owners REALLY enjoy the hell outta the spring/summer/fall months. 3 out of 4 seasons of topless driving is WORTH the slightly colder temps I might get inside.

My real concern is the snow and damaging my windows (rears) cleaning snow off. The last thing I want to do is scratch up the plastic windows.
I am also on long Island. I have only had soft top convertibles for the past 10 years... I know you see many on the LI roads everyday.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My family said we can't have a soft top and live through NY winter as daily driver......so yes I am still waiting for my MIC that I have a VIN and no date!:cry: I hope they wrong for those of you that have yours and deal with cold. I will buy a Best top and see how long I can keep that on once I have!
I am also on long Island. I have only had soft top convertibles for the past 10 years... I know you see many on the LI roads everyday.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've never passed one in the wild. I'm also on that FB group you mentioned. Our shop is over here in Lindenhurst if you ever wanna stop in and see what we've got for your bronco. Just give me a heads up if you plan to stop by so I make sure the bronco is here

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My concern would be the plastic windows. Sub-zero temps are not friendly with soft pliable plastic. For NW Montana it will be a hardtop for me.
Iā€™m not much further north than you here in Calgary. I expect Iā€™ll have the Bronco in the garage for the worst of the cold and share my F150 with my wife. Going and coming from a heated garage should be ok with the cold temps, but yes, I wonā€™t want to leave the soft top outside in -30 for too long.

Iā€™ll order a hard top as soon as they are available.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've never passed one in the wild. I'm also on that FB group you mentioned. Our shop is over here in Lindenhurst if you ever wanna stop in and see what we've got for your bronco. Just give me a heads up if you plan to stop by so I make sure the bronco is here
I will definitely come visit soonā€¦ā€¦

Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Luckily I have a heated garage at home... unluckily I do not have the same thing at work :p

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m in Northern NY so we will get our fair share of heavy snows and cold, and Iā€™ll be getting a soft top 4 door BD soon. This will be new for me too . I have a heated garage so def wonā€™t leave it out most nights. I had a friend in Lake Placid years ago who had some sort of foam type panels for the ceiling of his Jeep soft top. I have no idea what they were but it was a soft top for sureā€¦

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™d be concerned with the soft top and the 60mph winds we get here in Wy in the winter. Sometimes the wind is strong enough to blow over semis on i80. So Iā€™m gonna do a hard pass on the soft top.

Stache12

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll be toting around a 2 year old and a newborn come Feb and if a hard top helps with keeping it a few degrees warmer inside then that is what I got to do. A soft top not in the cards for a Wisconsin Winter. If I was a single man it'd be a different story.
Sponsored