Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The idea of a manual emergency brake is when your brake lines rust through (see 1997 F-150) you have the ability to STOP in an emergency. If your hydraulic brakes fail, you have a manually activated way to stop. What happens when you hit the electronic brake if you are moving? Does it stop the car?
The parking brake doesn't rely on the hydraulic system at all. Here's a picture of a rear caliper from a car with an electronic parking brake:

18B5477-ang__ra_p-600x600.jpg

See that splined shaft? That's where the parking brake actuator engages and directly drives the piston. So you could have a busted line or no brake fluid or anything, and the actuator would still be able to apply rear brake pressure.

Also, while I'm here typing, can someone tell me why we have 4A "awd" when we have 4H for "awd" just curious. Had a Raptor in the shop today and the owner told me the 4A was for "automatic" 4WD, it is in rwd until it senses slip and engages the front diff. Just seems odd to me, I am old school and I am used to the N(neutral)as the other option. good for flat tow like behind an RV.

Thanks for the info and I think the interior looks bitchin'.
4H: The front and rear axles are locked together by the transfer case. Depending on whether or not the front and rear diffs are also locked, all four wheels could be 100% mechanically locked together. Great for crawling up rock walls or powering through mud or sand. It is NOT intended to be used on a paved surface with high traction. It causes chattering and wheel hop when turning as the tires actually need to rotate at different speeds when making turns, but they can't because they're all locked together.

4A: The transfer case modulates lockup between the front and rear diff, transferring power to where it detects traction.

If you're driving on the road in bad weather with intermittent slick patches, 4A is 100% preferable. You don't want all four wheels locked together when you have good traction. You want the system to send power to wherever it can find traction.

And if you pull away from a slick stop in 4H with everything locked together, all four wheels will spin, allowing the vehicle to drift side to side. 4A would take power away from the spinning wheels and give it to the ones with traction, improving acceleration and maintaining control.

People get all sorts of bent out of shape about the above. "I've been driving with 4x4 in the snow for years! Just turn it off if you don't need it! If you can't get around in the snow in 2wd you're just a dummy and a bad driver!"

I'm not saying it's impossible to get around in 4x4 or 2wd, I'm saying the optimal configuration for maximum control and acceleration in slick conditions is one that can actively choose where to send power. The Wrangler finally got 4A with the JL, before that I couldn't understand why people bought a Wrangler as a winter vehicle. Without 4A, you're just running around in 2H all winter except the few mornings when you beat the plows to the roads.

But 4H and locking diffs is 100% optimal for mud, sand, or rocks.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Liking what I am seeing so far

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am not worried about parking, I am worried about an emergency. And I would prefer to have something not dependent on electronics (does it work with no power?)

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, does the "parking" brake work if you are moving? I am not worried about parking, I am worried about an emergency. And I would prefer to have something not dependent on electronics (does it work with no power?)
That was just discussed. Obviously an electrical component is not going to function without electricity.

Maybe cut out the floorboards so you can use your feet to stop after everything else fails?

Or just down shift to “C”.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was just discussed. Obviously an electrical component is not going to function without electricity.

Maybe cut out the floorboards so you can use your feet to stop after everything else fails?
Funny. I just updated my post when you quoted it.

But I am serious. And I can't use an ON/OFF brake for road / weather conditions. Again, I would just rather have a mechanical system.

Sponsored

TorontoGuy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah , but is it an entirely separate system or just an electric application of the regular braking system?
Electronic actuator for the seperate parking brake system. There's still a cable running to each wheel therefore it doesn't rely on the hydraulic braking system.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep. I know some people will probably be upset about that, but it saves money and reduces complexity to have it common between all powertrains. I personally have never used an emergency brake/parking brake for anything other than parking, but I know I don't speak for everyone when I say that. Is there a specific reason why people are upset about an electronic parking brake? I'm genuinely curious.
Just old guy talk, but I like tactile controls that I can feel 'knowing the position without looking, be it radio and heater controls (knobs no touch screen), e-brake (lever or pedal) transmission shifter, 4x4 control. A knob is ok if it is indexed with a protrusion at the index mark. The drive mode knob on my Explorer is not indexed ( in fact you can spin it around and around, no stop or index), it's annoying always have to look to see where its at.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Electronic actuator for the seperate parking brake system. There's still a cable running to each wheel therefore it doesn't rely on the hydraulic braking system.
So, we are fighting an uphill battle and those who want a mechanical system have lost. Oh well, it isn't a deal killer. No manual would be a deal killer, at least for me.

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm impressed with the higher grade cloth interior on the new Ranger. If the Bronco seats are as good, then I will be happy.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Funny. I just updated my post when you quoted it.

But I am serious. And I can't use an ON/OFF brake for road / weather conditions. Again, I would just rather have a mechanical system.

Did you not read the post from the guy who tried it in an Escape and it brought the car to a controlled stop? Didn’t sound like an ON/OFF brake.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you not read the post from the guy who tried it in an Escape and it brought the car to a controlled stop? Didn’t sound like an ON/OFF brake.
eh, it is in the fact that you have no control over how hard it is applied. basically, it sounds/appears to be just a week disc brake caliper, it'll slow it down, but not lock it up while moving. and it cuts engine power because you could overpower it if you could hit the gas so yeah, it does sound on/off.

TorontoGuy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, we are fighting an uphill battle and those who want a mechanical system have lost. Oh well, it isn't a deal killer. No manual would be a deal killer, at least for me.
I'll make a friendly $5 wager that after a week of using an "electric" parking brake you wont miss the mechanical handle.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Christ, some of you whine about the smallest things.
The chance of Ford, or any OEM, manufacturing something that hits every single ridiculous need and or want that you have is 0%
Back up.

The idea is this is a message board where we discuss the smallest things, where we wish and pine for other things. If you don't like it, you may leave. There are plenty of unicorn discussions on any message board you encounter. Did you just get internet access today?

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll make a friendly $5 wager that after a week of using an "electric" parking brake you wont miss the mechanical handle.
You are on...
Sponsored