Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

901ba4a1cbe0c8a601e293e5613159e0.jpg

2020-Land-Rover-Defender-90-off-road-wading-1000x600.jpg

100919-New-land-Rover-Defender7-c-Land-Rover.jpg

LR_DEF_20MY_90_26.02.2020_22.jpg

Land-Rover-Defender-3-of-5.jpg

land-rover-defender-110_01.jpg
No.
Sponsored

UPnort

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im confused. You dont want 35s but are gonna pay 2500 for badlands sas? Doesnt sound like money is a concern to you. Get both!

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm at $50k for a Badlands. The reality is sinking in that I can get a luxury SUV for about 10K less. Yeah, I won't be able to take off the doors or roof, but 10k is 10k...lol
Absolutely. You can get a loaded Highlander Limited with leather and rear seat A/C vents for about 45k. Comfortable and reliable. Unless you have a very specific need for the off road capabilities, the Bronco, like many vehicles, is not necessarily a logical decision - that's for sure. Trust me, I have had my share of left brain, right brain arguments with myself. :)

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not me but is sounds like you may be happy with a Bronco Sport. It is available now and looks similar.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm King of trying to compare apples to oranges. So while I understand trying to do it, it seems that your business purposes might allow you to do it "fairly often". Have fun with the British Iron.

Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope this will help push you over the edge and you get that Bronco reservation cancelled!
that guy did a great review. Even he admits the ones he’s owned have been crap.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
After watching the TFL guys go through 3 (1st, their special order, needed a new engine at 126 miles, 2nd was totaled by wire harness being damaged at dealership installing a factory winch, and the 3rd threw a air suspension code during the reveal video!) different defenders for a total of 162 miles I wouldn't go near a defender at any cost.
Yup. I’d get if it was just one that it would be a fluke. But 3 different ones is insane.

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No Defender for me. The Bronco even well specced is cheaper and there are Ford dealers everywhere. The aftermarket for the Bronco will be crazy. I want a capable fairly common vehicle that has a lot of dealer support and aftermarket parts. Bronco it is!

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe Ford marketing has me by the pinky toe, but to me the defender is just a vehicle while the Bronco is a statement, vehicle, and life style

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just look at the Jeep market. The JL’s are depreciating because IMO Jeep fucked up by putting those starter/generator bullshit in almost every damn one. And it’s not an easy delete. But the JK’s if anything are gaining value, if I hadn’t crashed mine it would easily be worth what I bought it for 18 months ago if not more. The Bronco, being simpler than the JL in some ways (engine choices are in a league of their own except the 392 IMO) plus the desireability is going to lead to great resale.

Sponsored

Elwood

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The desk in my home office
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm at $50k for a Badlands. The reality is sinking in that I can get a luxury SUV for about 10K less. Yeah, I won't be able to take off the doors or roof, but 10k is 10k...lol
I think it really is a matter of investing in capability/durability/open air experience or comfort/rarity and quirkiness/image. Folks really ought to add at least a few $1000 for a serious warranty on the Rover.

A Bronco/Wrangler are significantly different from the typical luxury SUV grocery getters, and both offer unique value propositions. They're both built for their purpose- It's a matter of prioritizing what matters most.

Elwood

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The desk in my home office
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that guy did a great review. Even he admits the ones he’s owned have been crap.
He basically began his career by making fun of his range rover's reliability and taking advantage of a crazy warranty on it with CarMax. He has a fondness for them though, so hats off to him for knowing what he's getting into.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nope, I think it’s kind of fugly looking, and that’s without mentioning reliability concerns or cost.
Sponsored