Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Some of us need it for more than just trail chat. Simple as that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh I know. I'm just simply saying that the the little antenna that comes with it just stuck inside the cab actually works pretty damn well. I was driving around one day it was listening to a conversation guys were having two cities away. Now I didn't try to join to see if they could hear me, but it is worth trying before You go to the trouble buying all these extra external antennas and mounting them.

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh I know. I'm just simply saying that the the little antenna that comes with it just stuck inside the cab actually works pretty damn well. I was driving around one day it was listening to a conversation guys were having two cities away. Now I didn't try to join to see if they could hear me, but it is worth trying before You go to the trouble buying all these extra external antennas and mounting them.
There is a health risk having 25 watt of radiation in the cab ! Remember they say a cell phone next to your head is not good there .25 of a watt not 25 or a full on 50 watt ,if you have a 50 watt radio and hold the whip antenna and someone keys the mic It will burn your hand ! So please use some caution out there Stay Safe and keep that antenna as far away from you as Possible

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BeardedBadass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4D/Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m with you on this. That little magnet works extremely well. I stuck mine on the hartop lip inside the rear cargo area by the window until I decide where I want to put an external one. Might just leave it as it is. Keep it simple right.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is a health risk having 25 watt of radiation in the cab ! Remember they say a cell phone next to your head is not good there .25 of a watt not 25 or a full on 50 watt ,if you have a 50 watt radio and hold the whip antenna and someone keys the mic It will burn your hand ! So please use some caution out there Stay Safe and keep that antenna as far away from you as Possible
I gotcha.... And i agree...but as I sit on my smart phone (which is normally in my front pocket right next to my " you know what"), while in my smart house with radio and wi-fi signals all over the place. Hell even my PGE meter is sending out wireless signals to report my usage. Of course then I go sit in my car with all its electrical signals...

I wish it was easier to stay safe, but unless I want to run around with an aluminum foil body cast...we are all pretty much Fckd anyway :)

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I gotcha.... And i agree...but as I sit on my smart phone (which is normally in my front pocket right next to my " you know what"), while in my smart house with radio and wi-fi signals all over the place. Hell even my PGE meter is sending out wireless signals to report my usage. Of course then I go sit in my car with all its electrical signals...

I wish it was easier to stay safe, but unless I want to run around with an aluminum foil body cast...we are all pretty much Fckd anyway :)
True but not at the level of the radio so no point going for a Darwin Award lol

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a false equivalence. The power level of the signal is a key difference. None of the signals you mentioned are within multiple orders of magnitude of the 20 and 50 watts radios being talked about here.

Get that 50 watts antenna far away from your body, and especially your reproductive organs...at least if you want them to keep working.

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This post has inspired me to finally make the jump to hardwiring a GMRS in my bronco. I order the mxt575 since they are back in stock. Has anyone mounted it under the console yet? Is there enough room? Will the 10 amp up fitter be enough to power this?

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah I'm dumbfounded, especially with Midland responding how they did. What they say matches with my experience with my MTX275, but clearly others have something else going on that Midland claims is impossible.

By all rights, if my radio is on and I turn off my ignition, which kills power to my cigarette lighter, when I turn the jeep back on, it should power on and it does not.

Oh well, not the end of the road. Eventually I'm going to wire this up to some sort of toggle switch directly off the battery and be done with it :)
You might want to consider the source of power delivery of where others that do not have their radio resetted are. I know that I needed to fully disconnect my Bronco battery and left it off for a full day, when reconnected I thought all my vehicle settings would be resetted and I was shocked when everything remained the same. I believe it has to do with the vehicle battery management system. So my guess is the cigarette lighter is not connected to the BMS like other circuits are.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You might want to consider the source of power delivery of where others that do not have their radio resetted are. I know that I needed to fully disconnect my Bronco battery and left it off for a full day, when reconnected I thought all my vehicle settings would be resetted and I was shocked when everything remained the same. I believe it has to do with the vehicle battery management system. So my guess is the cigarette lighter is not connected to the BMS like other circuits are.

Sorry if I was unclear. I don't have my Bronco yet. I was just talking about the mtx275 itself. In my case it is in my wrangler.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is it ok to leave my midland mtx275 plugged into the cigarette lighter as long as I have the mtx275 powered off will it still draw from the broncos battery

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

nice setup! what mod did you do to have temp on the knobs (joking)?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is it ok to leave my midland mtx275 plugged into the cigarette lighter as long as I have the mtx275 powered off will it still draw from the broncos battery
I'm not an electrical engineer, but it would seem to me that since the power button is more like a "soft" button AND it is remote and obviously not mechanically wired in line with the power, then absolutely... It has to be drawing some sort of power to monitor you pressing the button.

The only power switch that would 100% cut off any full of electricity, would have to basically be mechanical and directly in line with the power source.

Now how much power? Probably extremely little. The Bronco itself probably pulls more power when shut down.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not an electrical engineer, but it would seem to me that since the power button is more like a "soft" button AND it is remote and obviously not mechanically wired in line with the power, then absolutely... It has to be drawing some sort of power to monitor you pressing the button.

The only power switch that would 100% cut off any full of electricity, would have to basically be mechanical and directly in line with the power source.

Now how much power? Probably extremely little. The Bronco itself probably pulls more power when shut down.
Seems not to be drawing any power at all when powered off if it was my bronco battery would have been dead
Sponsored