Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One thing you made me think of is the Bronco has an identity crisis.

For the most part the Bronco was a truck with a semi-affixed cap and rear seats. The top did not remove easily, and really wasn't supposed to. The Bronco II was probably closer to jeep competitor in some aspects (not a lot).

Now it is a direct Jeep comparison and what is the Sport? Would have loved if they kept the door/roof options but the nature of the truck-ish Bronco. So they can still disrupt Jeep but have their own thing.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is the most spot on review I’ve seen yet, with my impressions. And your right, lux will not give you a nicer interior unfortunately. We all get the base interior, upper trim level interiors were left on the cutting room floor.
Well, after just seeing the leather seating surfaces yesterday, I'd take them over the MGV, but the price to get leather on a Black Diamond requires, jumping to a Badlands w/ Mid package, which is $8,900 increase for my order. Not worth it for me.

Last edited:

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sounds like you don't get what the Bronco is. 4 Runner is no where in the same league as the Bronco. I don't get why people buy vehicles like this when they don't need the capability. They can only do so much with $50k. Do you want thicker plastic and a dashpad, or the most well rounded, capable production wheeler ever made?

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve been able to test drive a Badlands and Outer Banks. I will tell you that my wife and I are rethinking some aspects of what we expect from the Bronco.

We found the Badlands with 2.3 to have a rough on road ride, it felt heavy, took longer to stop than I’d prefer, and the step in height was not enjoyable. Based on this I’m writing the Black Diamond off the list as it’s basically just a scaled down version of the Badlands. I realize these are both more “off road” builds but didn’t realize until now just how much that impacts on road manners.

The OBX with 2.7 and leather seemed to coast along pretty smoothly, brakes seemed more responsive, acceleration was effortless. It was pretty fun to drive. Probably suits our needs more as something to drive on the beach a few times each year and a vehicle we can take on road trips where we want to ride around with the top down.

The OBX with 2.3 and cloth felt not as comfortable (seats maybe less cushy?) and the engine felt like I was driving a Wrangler with a 4 cylinder. It was okay but noticeable different vs our experience in the 2.7 engine.

Now I’m a little concerned with the 2.7 quality aspect until I see that the engine seizing issue is just a one time thing.

And the reports of the soft top already showing wear? Come on.

0593798E-A6BC-4207-8219-EB3749194F3A.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Aardvark53

Base
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for your experience. Some days I'm also on the fence but I'm going to stick it out.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Would have loved if they kept the door/roof options but the nature of the truck-ish Bronco. So they can still disrupt Jeep but have their own thing.
I stole this pic from another thread.
Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate 2021-ford-bronco-vintage-renderings (2)

But I would have wet myself if it had looked like this out of the gate. It carries all of the design cues that made the original Bronco stand apart...
Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate 8e41776830cb25945b93e77aa644e863

tnaftzger

Black Diamond
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Mustang GT, 1974 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe, were you doing going from a stop?
Good point, I was not at a complete stop. I was at a stop sign turning left so it was more of a 5mph rolling start when I got on it.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm with you, it amazes me at all the folks who don't really understand what a Bronco is. :unsure:
Agree completely. I don't think Ford knows what a Bronco is. Is it a Jeep killer? A Bronco? Honestly it is a little of everything. Go Lux in OBX? BaseSquach? 3D or 5D?

Bottom line is they delivered a superior, open off-road vehicle for almost any budget. They just need to make more modular options and maybe make the 3D (2D) a little longer.

Sponsored

Bifftws

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Z06 corvette, 2021 Ranger, BMW 328i manual
Your Bronco Model
Base
It did have the rear locker with the button on top of the dash. I put it in sport mode and it had plenty of power for daily driving, never going to be a speed demon but just as fast as my Ranger in sport mode. Motor would have no problems with 33s, I would have to drive a squatch before I could comment on 35s.
Do you know if it had the 4.27s with the rear locker or the open 3.73? Im wondering how the 2.3/auto/3.73s feel with the 32s.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I stole this pic from another thread.
2021-ford-bronco-vintage-renderings (2).jpg

But I would have wet myself if it had looked like this out of the gate. It carries all of the design cues that made the original Bronco stand apart...
8e41776830cb25945b93e77aa644e863.jpg
The new one is a lot more “original Bronco” than those things you posted. I liked those ones okay, but they are nothing like the original that people wanted back so badly…and they got what they asked for. Thank God.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good point, I was not at a complete stop. I was at a stop sign turning left so it was more of a 5mph rolling start when I got on it.
So it may have been in the gear that allows boost at 5mph.

By the way me saying boost maybe limited in certain gears is just a hypothesis. We won't know for sure until someone does some data logging.

Mr_Scoutmaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s not bad though, as your reservation timestamp will carry through. (And if you reserved before March you’ll have MSRP price protection
*Before March 20th 2021.

"Price Protection Extension thru 2023 model year - We'll continue to offer price protection to all Bronco order and reservation holders (as of March 19, 2021) to ensure you will not see an increase in MSRP if you receive an equivalent 2023 model year Bronco."

Mr_Scoutmaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands / '22 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new one is a lot more “original Bronco” than those things you posted. I liked those ones okay, but they are nothing like the original that people wanted back so badly…and they got what they asked for. Thank God.
To each their own, but 100% agree with you here. My dad had an '86 Bronco. I climbed all over that thing and when I see pictures of the 1980's models I get the nostalgia. But...that thing was HUGE. It was basically just a big 4x4 pickup truck with a removable top (which no one ever removed in a practical sense because it weighed a zillion pounds) and a rear seat. The 6G keeps the cleaner lines of the original and only seems to get "huge" with more offroad options. To me anyway.
Sponsored