Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I noticed the other day that the Ranger 4-door has optional bolt-on fender flares in the configurator. I bet Ford will have something similar for the Bronco.

Ford Bronco The Fender Situation.... Capature.PNG

(I don't think they look that great on the Ranger but that's besides the point)
Sponsored

Ruptured Duck

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I noticed the other day that the Ranger 4-door has optional bolt-on fender flares in the configurator. I bet Ford will have something similar for the Bronco.

Capature.PNG

(I don't think they look that great on the Ranger but that's besides the point)
Yes, pocket flares are rumored to be offered. Personally feel the pocket design has run its course but the Bronco is new so I guess they will continue to be used.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yes, pocket flares are rumored to be offered. Personally feel the pocket design has run its course but the Bronco is new so I guess they will continue to be used.
"Pocket flares" is a new term to me. I've always called them Bushwhackers, but I guess that's kind of like saying "Kleenex".

Ruptured Duck

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"Pocket flares" is a new term to me. I've always called them Bushwhackers, but I guess that's kind of like saying "Kleenex".
Correct. Pocket flares had been around in one form or another for many years (outside the offroad market). Bushwhacker was the first to apply them to the Jeep and then to Trucks. The Design has been utilized by a number if companies after the design patent ran out.

Ruptured Duck

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Correct. Pocket flares had been around in one form or another for many years (outside the offroad market). Bushwhacker was the first to apply them to the Jeep and then to Trucks. The Design has been utilized by a number if companies after the design patent ran out.
Some examples from the 60's - 70's... Not Off-Road related. It was an easy way to attach. In a vacuum formed mold the pocket allowed a flat mounting surface without undercuts.
Ford Bronco The Fender Situation.... 1584972289344
Ford Bronco The Fender Situation.... 1584972432416

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

some aftermarket companies have been contracted by Ford to produce optional flares (accessories) at launch. Like FCA and Jeep they are trying to capture a large part of the accessories business from the start. SEAM this year will be Ford only in regards to showing the Bronco. Come SEMA 2021 that is when you will see all the aftermarkets jump in. If you don't like the stock flares be patient you will have options. Unfortunately there will be some aftermarket designs that will look even worse but for some reason people will buy them.
It is clear that everyone has their own tastes and designs on future use. Some are perplexing to me: like what are they thinking. Mo Aoun’s designs have some pretty speed racer comic or video game design aspects that serve no practical purpose for example. Maybe they’d be good for desert running—I don’t have experience there. The roof though has a classic look (compared to the rounded thing we’ve seen from Ford so far).

Me: I like timeless classic, simple, and practical. Granted the fender extensions we’re currently seeing are underwhelming—at least in the pictures. However they meet basic requirements, so I’m waiting to see the whole package.

Also, the EBs with the enlarged cutout more squared off wheel wells and vinyl aftermarket fender extensions look better to me. But, the Jeeps have that profile and people would complain the wheel wells look like Jeep’s if Ford went that route.

OP
OP
BoostedBronco

BoostedBronco

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think people are missing the point here, what I was hoping for, and I suspect others are too, is a true wider *fender* to cover the tire and track width, not a bolt-on *flare*, like the aftermarket (bushwacker) and Fraptor (Fake Raptor) crowd use.

It's probably just me though. There will be aftermarket wide fenders I'm sure, but it's a huge process to remove the fender, have the aftermarket fender fitted and painted (huge hassle) and they will never look as nice as a stock fender.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think people are missing the point here, what I was hoping for, and I suspect others are too, is a true wider *fender* to cover the tire and track width, not a bolt-on *flare*, like the aftermarket (bushwacker) and Fraptor (Fake Raptor) crowd use.

It's probably just me though. There will be aftermarket wide fenders I'm sure, but it's a huge process to remove the fender, have the aftermarket fender fitted and painted (huge hassle) and they will never look as nice as a stock fender.
I think the simple answer is the intended market is different. Raptor is designed as a desert runner. So is Bronco R (and off road racing is different anyway - where replacing broken parts comes with the territory).

Ford are designing the Bronco to compete with the Wrangler, and Raptor / Bronco R fenders would get bashed and scratched when competing with Wranglers on rocky or woodsy trails. When they do, they will be expensive to replace by that huge process you refer to, as opposed to popping the ABS one off, and replacing it with an inexpensive new one.

Now if they want to make a dessert runner (or beach) version and put Raptor fenders on it - that would be badass, but still impractical on the trail.

OP
OP
BoostedBronco

BoostedBronco

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think the simple answer is the intended market is different. Raptor is designed as a desert runner. So is Bronco R (and off road racing is different anyway - where replacing broken parts comes with the territory).

Ford are designing the Bronco to compete with the Wrangler, and Raptor / Bronco R fenders would get bashed and scratched when competing with Wranglers on rocky or woodsy trails. When they do, they will be expensive to replace by that huge process you refer to, as opposed to popping the ABS one off, and replacing it with an inexpensive new one.

Now if they want to make a dessert runner (or beach) version and put Raptor fenders on it - that would be badass, but still impractical on the trail.
Good insight. This is the most logical answer. I had hoped (and seemed to read this) that they were trying to market the Bronco as more of a desert off-road vehicle than a tight trail vehicle. I was obviously wrong in the direction they chose to go with the design.

Just like with the F-150, I was hoping to see a normal fender version for the tight trail crowd, and a wide fender (not Flare) version for the desert "Raptor" edition. Just like they do with the F-150 Raptor. Maybe we will see that down the line.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think people are missing the point here, what I was hoping for, and I suspect others are too, is a true wider *fender* to cover the tire and track width, not a bolt-on *flare*...
That flare serves a practical purpose as Dbb explained. The flare is sacrificial -- far easier and less expensive to replace than the metal fender. It takes the abuse when you're maneuvering in tight quarters.

And I for one am very happy to see if there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BoostedBronco

BoostedBronco

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That flare serves a practical purpose as Dbb explained. The flare is sacrificial -- far easier and less expensive to replace than the metal fender. It takes the abuse when you're maneuvering in tight quarters.

And I for one am very happy to see if there.
Well aware of the purpose of a plastic, replaceable flare. Just wanted the wide Raptor fender option, like, the couple hundred thousand current Raptor owners enjoy.

Ruptured Duck

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well aware of the purpose of a plastic, replaceable flare. Just wanted the wide Raptor fender option, like, the couple hundred thousand current Raptor owners enjoy.
Remember Ford does not want to cannibalize Raptor sales but to steel sales from Jeep and the Wrangler. Two different markets. With that said I would not be surprised if Ford doesn't offer something drawing from the bronco's desert race heritage in the future. Just my opinion.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I hate the “tack-on” fender flare look and wish they would’ve gone with more of a molded fender look... hell, if nothing else, they could’ve made the rear fenders more easily removable (more like front fenders) and placed all the structural metal underneath (again, like front fenders). That would satisfy both those who like the aesthetic of molded fenders and those who are worried about beating them up on the trail (whether by the standard of easy replacement or of easy “upgrade” to ABS style fender flares on flat fenders)
Sponsored