First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm doing a long term experiment. I'm only putting premium in my 21 Bronco (Basesquatch on 35's) and only putting regular in my 21 Explorer. Both vehicles have the same powertrain. We'll see down the road if one or the other makes any discernable difference to the vehicles longevity. I don't think it makes much difference in terms of power or gas mileage.
Sponsored

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is a YouTube video where a new Bronco Owner compares regular vs. premium fuel. I can't find it right now or I would post it, but it is out there. I believe his conclusion was that there was no noticeable change.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't filled up once with premium. If I want more power, I just go with Sport-mode, tbh. $$$
Sport mode gives the illusion of more power.... But no more power to be had

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm currently going through different octanes and modes, there's definitely a noticeable difference in miles per gallon with premium over 87, I have yet to calculate it out to see if the miles I'm gaining equals the cost of the fuel, but time will tell. I stated this in another thread, I think the timing is either retarded or advanced based on octane and it's possible the Bronco just runs better and smoother on the premium fuel. Too early to tell, but I think that's where this is going.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You would have to take it up with them. Some folks think there wasn't a Moon landing either.
Just saying.
Huh. Your statement had me stumped for a minute.
I took a quick glance at your post history just to make sure I wasn't taking it wrong.

You've posted that Consumer Reports thing about the 2015 Mustang 2.3 more than once in this thread.

And you ordered a 2.7.

Why?

Never mind. You're a Type C forum member. Duly noted.

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does it produce more power? No. But it does optimize shift points and up the actual throttle vs pedal position compared to Normal or Eco etc.

Thing is - when you press the throttle, you're not getting that direct correlation at the the throttle body itself. It's drive by wire - so the PCM is reading different sensors (temp, speed etc etc) then it gives you a certain percentage of your throttle using tables in the PCM. So it FEELS more powerful - just like a Pedal Commander type device does (although those devices just amplify the throttle signal coming from the pedal being sent to the PCM).

The 2.3 isn't bad for what it is. I was dead set on a 2.7 until my wife and I drove (the Bronco is the wife's DD - even though she doesn't drive all that much anymore) a dealer lifted 35" tire 2.3 w/ 3.73 gears. Ended up ordering the 2.3 and 4.27 gears.

Now if this was primarily MY vehicle, I would have likely gone manual transmission and 2.3 would have been the default. A 2.7 powered 2dr with the manual transmission would be another thing entirely though.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have zero regrets on the 2.3 in my 4 door squatch. My f150 has the 2.7. Both are great imo. Haven’t filled mine with premium yet , 3000 miles in. If gas gets below $3 I’ll give it a try just to see.
So happy to hear that you're happy with your Bronco. :)

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Been running only premium since I got it 2500 miles ago. Love the pep & knowing that the engine is at full potential. Around me, it's $6.25 a gallon while regular is $6.15. Working remote, so it's strictly a recreational drive each time I get in the Bronco. If I was commuting, it would definitely be 87 only :cool:

Demosouthpaw

Big Bend
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B R O N C O
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Question for those that have been able to get some miles on the 2.3 and run a few tanks of gas through.

now that the novelty is wearing off, and the national average price of gas hit another all time high today, are you still buying premium gas?
Can you tell there is a horsepower bump?

(I haven’t taken delivery yet)
2700 miles on the 2.3 with 35's on it and 3.73 rear end. Im averging about 12-14mpg I mainly drive in the city and in sports mode. I only put premium in her, I did notice a bit of a difference after about 1000-miles on it though--could just be mental. Personally I've always been of the school of thought that higher compression engines should have higher octane fuel.

Granted my commutes are pretty short less than 35miles round trip daily. Meaning I really only fill up ~2 a month.

jubangas

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really living with the 2.3 ecoboost, I actually wanted the 4 cylinder. I am a firm believer that the 2.3 has more potential than the 2.7 in the long run. Just waiting for tuning and I will step the bronco up to higher octane fuel. I have a feeling that mild mods on a 2.3 will get you into the sweet spot.
I'm really intersted in this thought. Can you explain and expand on why you have this belief?

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

FYI - a buddy of mine ended up with a Ranger 2.3EB. His F150 was in body shop purgatory for 2 months, and he was looking for another truck for his daughter anyway. He ended up trying a tune from 5startuning (I have no affiliation and have never used them) that's literally 87 Octane "Tow / Daily" and we were both impressed by the power gains under the curve.

Word is they are hoping to have something available for the 2.3 Bronco my the end of Summer.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, you put yours in eco and i'll put mine in sport. Then we race!
Agreed, no more power, but it puts it in and keeps it in the "power" zone of the engine, = faster...

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm really intersted in this thought. Can you explain and expand on why you have this belief?
Ford has invested more in the 2.3 Ecoboost Performance due to Mustang and Focus RS cross platform use. This makes go fast parts more available. Built engines and big turbos are a learning process that has been going on for several years. It's not that the 2.7 doesn't have the possibility of making more power it is the 2.3 has more backing currently in the aftermarket.

I also have a leaky oil pan 2.7 in my driveway, I wanted a metal oil pan and no yellow plastic drain plug. So I might be bias.

jubangas

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not that the 2.7 doesn't have the possibility of making more power it is the 2.3 has more backing currently in the aftermarket.
As someone who's trying to get into learning more about engines, tunings, aftermarket, etc., is there a good primer or other resource to learn this info.?

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As someone who's trying to get into learning more about engines, tunings, aftermarket, etc., is there a good primer or other resource to learn this info.?
Depends on where you are on the scale...meaning where your knowledge base is at.

There are generic principles that hold to damn near any IC engine. Air / fuel ratio is a good place to start.

IC engines are air pumps. Getting more air (and fuel) is the name of the game.

2.3 / 2.7 are turbo engines. While the 'general' principles apply, it's a whole different ball game. Years ago I thought I had a pretty good handle on GM TPI and the LSx engine as far as basic tuning / fuel and spark tables. I knew JUST enough to be dangerous. High compression, small displacement, turbocharged engines are a whole other thing.

https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/tuning/index.html

This is basic and while geared towards JDM / Imports - the principles hold. JDM guys were the first to really start stringing out high compression, small displacement engines and then adding forced induction from the aftermarket.

Most people have no clue how much work goes into custom dyno tunes, tailored to an individual engine / vehicle setup and how the driver wants to use it and what modifications it has.
Sponsored