Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Saleen says the shocks measure about 24.5" front, 27" rear. Sounds on par with the rest of the setups.
Yup, gonna be hard pressed to find a shock that has more extension due to the limits of the CV followed by the rest of the suspension. We are dealing with max possible articulation out of a mostly stock setup without doing a redesign or going long arm.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@popo_patty - very enjoyable video, many thanks for this information. Are you plan to do any testing on Ford’s Performance 2” coilovers? I’m very interested how they perform relative to high end upgrades with Bilstein shocks. It looks like much more cost effective solution from Ford in-house department.
I plan on touching anything I can get my hands on. Unfortunately I work full time and am pretty broke in between 3 off-road builds haha. As members of my group begin building their broncos I reach out for testing videos and educating myself and hopefully answering any questions from y’all. I’m always wanting to know what people wanna see so I can focus on that.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, gonna be hard pressed to find a shock that has more extension due to the limits of the CV followed by the rest of the suspension. We are dealing with max possible articulation out of a mostly stock setup without doing a redesign or going long arm.
I understand that now, thanks. So those numbers are the best we'll get without going Baja Kits or APG style stuff. Time to chop some bump stops.

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What's not clear is there's been reported King bind with full droop, and Accutune offers a spacer to fix that. However, it seems Icon doesn't have this issue and has even further extension.

Sponsored

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What's not clear is there's been reported King bind with full droop, and Accutune offers a spacer to fix that. However, it seems Icon doesn't have this issue and has even further extension.
I think this answers my question:

Hey Guys, nice to see someone take a dive in this subject! We noticed in the write up that on the fox equipped Bronco you have a front aftermarket UCA (which has added caster built in, keeping 0'ed cams mostly in position) and a fixed oem UCA on the King equipped Bronco.. If true, a typical alignment shop would have to max out the lower cams to get in spec. Subsequently this would pull out the in-board cv joint where dimensionally Ford already has these too short, and risk damaging/pulling the CV. You also have aftermarket rear links on the Fox equipped Bronco with what appears to be a Johnny Joint or similar, and "hopefully" adjusted lengths to aim the pinion back to spec. Aftermarket joints rotate and cycle with less resistance than a factory pressed bushing. None of what we are saying is aimed at taking away from the incredible assessment you guys made, but it would be better executed had you compared the shock assemblies on the same vehicle and parts configuration. Fox and King both make industry leading products, we exclusively use only these brands on anything we do, but a shock absorber is just one component of a "suspension system". As a shock tuning company naturally you are going to compare shocks as a stand alone product. As a suspension designer and manufacturer of complete systems, we know the importance of collective assemblies and the impact each variable has on performance and longevity.
From this thread. So sounds like if you have aftermarket UCA's, you shouldn't need the Accutune spacer.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

great comparison. really needs to see how a stock badlands or wildtrak run the same course(s) since most of us will probably not have a raptor to mentally use as the baseline
I think this answers my question:

From this thread. So sounds like if you have aftermarket UCA's, you shouldn't need the Accutune spacer.
yea I’ve had zero issues with bind. I have Icons tube UCA.

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

yea I’ve had zero issues with bind. I have Icons tube UCA.
So you didn't have them add the spacer when you had yours tuned by Accutune?

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I now have an ADS setup on my rig and happy to contribute to any data, but I'm in Texas... :D. Looks like Ryan, also has ADS, @Shifts And Grins Fab is in closer proximity to you @popo_patty though.
Awesome! If you have a CTI ramp near ya I’d love that date.

But yea, Shifts and Grins and I have a plan to hit Mojave this year
Sponsored