TheDoctor

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For me...extend the flap up to meet/follow the wheel flare (eliminate that gap), and stop them at the bottom of the tube steps and they would be perfect. Protect the front doors, and removes the fear of contacting the ground/rocks when off road.
Sponsored

Wraithracing

Outer Banks
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From Weathertechtoday (2/18):

"Good morning, Cat-

Thank you for your patience!
I contacted our Engineering department to provide you with some additional information.

Each WeatherTech MudFlap is individually designed to create the best MudFlap available.
Ease of installation, vehicle protection, and aesthetics are constant influences in this. Usually pushing back at each other.

Part 110140, the Ford Bronco front Mudflaps, were challenging and required special considerations.

- Ease of installation and removal if desired - The traditional J-shaped design was deviated from the basis that a drilled upper connection point would be required.
-Quick release fenders would also need MudFlap separation if desired. The On/off removability would be more difficult and leave a permanent attachment hole.
- Without a secure attachment, the molded plastic coming up following the lines of the fender would create a vibration point. The material would eventually be rubbed away.
-The traditional J-shaped design would also create a pocket for rocks and debris to accumulate inside the fender.

[First 3 pics, below]

Vehicle protection was considered with the gap created. The centerline of the tire in relation to the gap would be below. Debris would be unlikely to travel through the trajectory and reach the door panels. Nylon u-clips versus steel u-clips were also supplied to avoid galvanic corrosion.

[Second set of 3 pics]

Aesthetics were considered with our traditional bulbous MudFlap design. However, with requirements to avoid the rock rails, tube step, and large 35” wheels, design
modifications to the traditional MudFlap needed to be implemented. The bulbous design on the outer half was left, to create strength on the extension outer part.

[Last 3 pics]

I hope this helps!
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. We’re happy to help.
Best Regards,"
image003.png
image004.png
image005.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg
image009.png
image010.jpg
image011.jpg
Sorry! This is one of those products where the engineers were over thinking it and ended up with a product that might check the boxes the engineers thought were most important, but ultimately the vast majority of buyers will not buy.

Form and Function are always important factors, but for the vast majority of us aesthetics, are just as important and sometimes more so. As someone with engineering background this is a complete failure all the way around. Most of us will not remove our fender flares on a consistent basis if ever, so adding an extra attachment point that makes that more difficult will not affect most of the buyers. Yes, they will sell some, but nowhere near the number had they considered the actual "look" of the flaps to begin with. I had high hopes for WT, but I guess I will be looking elsewhere as it appears they are dead set to continue down this path with this product.

SMFS

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

"Good morning, Cat-

I contacted our Engineering department to provide you with some additional information.

Each WeatherTech MudFlap is individually designed to create the best MudFlap available.
Ease of installation, vehicle protection, and aesthetics are constant influences in this. Usually pushing back at each other.

Part 110140, the Ford Bronco front Mudflaps, were challenging and required special considerations.

- Ease of installation and removal if desired - The traditional J-shaped design was deviated from the basis that a drilled upper connection point would be required.
-Quick release fenders would also need MudFlap separation if desired. The On/off removability would be more difficult and leave a permanent attachment hole.
- Without a secure attachment, the molded plastic coming up following the lines of the fender would create a vibration point. The material would eventually be rubbed away.
-The traditional J-shaped design would also create a pocket for rocks and debris to accumulate inside the fender.

[First 3 pics, below]

Vehicle protection was considered with the gap created. The centerline of the tire in relation to the gap would be below. Debris would be unlikely to travel through the trajectory and reach the door panels. Nylon u-clips versus steel u-clips were also supplied to avoid galvanic corrosion.

[Second set of 3 pics]

Aesthetics were considered with our traditional bulbous MudFlap design. However, with requirements to avoid the rock rails, tube step, and large 35” wheels, design
modifications to the traditional MudFlap needed to be implemented. The bulbous design on the outer half was left, to create strength on the extension outer part.

[Last 3 pics]

I hope this helps!
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. We’re happy to help.
Best Regards,"
image003.png
image004.png
image005.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg
image009.png
image010.jpg
image011.jpg
I thought they looked interesting at first, but if you actually think about it for more that a second the design makes complete sense.
-Allows

"Good morning, Cat-

[First 3 pics, below]

[Second set of 3 pics]

[Last 3 pics]

I hope this helps!
Best Regards,"
image003.png
image004.png
image005.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg
image009.png
image010.jpg
image011.jpg
I thought they looked interesting at first, but if you actually think about it for more than a second, the design makes complete sense. You can’t compare the Bronco to the Gladiator since the Gladiator does not have quick remove fenders.

-No Drilling so no rust, holes or MacGyvering like these other “engineers”
- Doesn’t attach to the Removable Fender Flare. This is also good because adjoining the flap to the Flare and Body would cause rubbing since the flares are not as rigid
-Stronger than others since it is all attached to the body
- Allows for Fender deletes or any other change to flares
-Most importantly, it serves the purpose. Not that everyone will understand, but the trajectory of debris will hit the mud flap on center. That design picture they provided shows the travel line something would have to fly at (unlikely) to hit the gap

I am just hoping they make them for the Bronco Raptor. Best look and price and actually made in America unlike the others.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here are pics of the Weathertech mudflaps...for the WildTrak with tube steps. Pic shows rails, tho. I ordered a set. Not sure if i will like them.

EDIT: Keep reading this thread...there are a few more updates from Weathertech, including a response from their Engineering Dept on the reason behind the design.

image002.png
image001.png
Wow, someone managed to make mudflaps that are uglier than the Gatorbacks. That is an accomplishment. The wait continues.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow, someone managed to make mudflaps that are uglier than the Gatorbacks.
Nah, the Gatorbacks still look like tractor trailer flaps. To each their own.

Sponsored

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anybody have a picture of how they fit with the OEM tube steps vs. the rock rails?

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

"Good morning, Cat-

[First 3 pics, below]

[Second set of 3 pics]

[Last 3 pics]

I hope this helps!
Best Regards,"
image003.png
image004.png
image005.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg
image009.png
image010.jpg
image011.jpg
Do we have a picture of the rear flaps?

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do we have a picture of the rear flaps?
Have you been to their website, and selected Bronco? They have a good pic of the rears. None of the front, which is why i asked for pics of the fronts.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I must not have the right vehicle. Doesn’t show rears available to me and they’re all only “representative images”.

Sponsored

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have you been to their website, and selected Bronco? They have a good pic of the rears. None of the front, which is why i asked for pics of the fronts.
I was wondering if there was one on an actual Bronco like the ones they sent you. The one on their website is computer generated, on what looks to be a Chevrolet.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the pics @Cat put up are awful, but if they are easy on and off, and are proven to do the job, I’ll grab a pair just for when I’m going off pavement. The price is good.

Reactions: Cat

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anybody have a picture of how they fit with the OEM tube steps vs. the rock rails?
Go back to post #110, 7th pic down.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Wow. Here I was thinking maybe I jumped the gun a bit doing my own semi-custom flaps as there were no good alternatives and wondering if I should have waited a few more weeks....

But I like mine *far* more than the Weathertech's (and far more than the $400 gatorbacks as well).

bronco mud flap - 1.jpeg
Best looking set yet. Did you/could you post what you used and how you mounted them?

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for leading this @Cat !
I think part of the issue is they tried to solve steps and rails with one flap. Hence it looks bad with either install and not seamless like a dedicated rail flap and separate step flap would have.
also they don’t need full j flap, just draw a diagonal from top clip to their flap to cover most of the gap and then have it designed to mold past the inside lip of the fender.
I don’t blame the WT engineers, I blame the business plan of single solution for all sasquatches.
Sponsored