Sponsored

What are some small, nit-picky things you want done right with the Bronco?

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I get what you guys are saying, aside from it being the general trajectory for more driver "aids" and "features" there are laws that Ford has to obey to sell cars. Having default stop-start has a significant enough effect on the cycle that the EPA tests for that Ford has justified the expense, they would not waste the money otherwise. These days every fuel economy measure costs money, and this one is probably relatively cheap. By comparison, in order for Ford to sell those vehicles it would need to either offer a pricier powertrain that maintains power at greater efficiency, or a similarly priced powertrain with anemic drive cycle characteristics. Its just the way it is, at least right now
And probably along with that, the requirement that it does not default to "off" - thus defeating the purpose. What would be nice is if they did a hidden menu with the option to set the default... a hidden menu that wold eventually become common knowledge
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Then that goes back to the "other stuff I have to buy and add" to make it the way you want it.

I'm okay with extra features, but like most here, I want to have the ultimate say as to whether they are employed or not at any given time.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And probably along with that, the requirement that it does not default to "off" - thus defeating the purpose. What would be nice is if they did a hidden menu with the option to set the default... a hidden menu that wold eventually become common knowledge
or ........ if that would make it as simple as being able to pulling a fuse out to deactivate ...........

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Auto stop start is a deal breaker for me. I'm not buying a vehicle with that feature. Startup is when the most wear occurs and when the engine pollutes the most.

And I just don't like it.

Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto stop start is a deal breaker for me. I'm not buying a vehicle with that feature. Startup is when the most wear occurs and when the engine pollutes the most.

Unfortunately its pretty much standard anymore.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

It's in pretty much all new vehicles, except perhaps heavy duty pickups.

Having the engine turn off for the idling portion of government emissions testing is an easy way to meet mandates -- many of which don't apply to HD trucks.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mr. KFC (Teocali too)....I here'ya.

But the reality is the climate elitists who mandate these rules probably produce 100X more emissions per capita than I do. So...it's a bit like being dictated dietary mandates by someone grossly obese. In one ear and out the other.

I understand what ESS does. I've tried to make 2 points: (1) its a one-size-fits-all solution that marginally makes sense in large urban settings. (2) no one knows the long-term effect on overall vehicle health because it hasn't been in use long.

But ain't the free market wonderful? Where there's demand, someone will fill it...in the case of AutoStop Eliminator, for <$100

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
You probably won’t even have to pay that much, it will probably be a flash just like changing tire size on a Jeep Wrangler. So multiple people can use the same one to flash.

For me personally, the tech behind the start-stop is so good I don’t really care anymore. Especially on a manual because as soon as you push in the clutch it starts up before you can even get in gear. The engine stays on if you hold in the clutch.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have been thinking about another GT350. Luckily no auto start/stop on that. My 2018 Fiesta ST doesn't have it either.

Or I can stick with my old 'vette.

I love cars and I'm obsessed with them, but I don't necessarily have to ever buy another new car.

My wife says I'm turning into a grumpy old man and maybe it's true. But I'm part of the potential new car market and I've had enough of the environmental BS that may or may not do anything to the environment, but will definitely do something to my pocketbook.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get just not liking it, I really do, and im not here to "sell" anything either. But let me clarify a couple things. You are correct that start up is when the engine pollutes the most, there is an argument for engine wear with regard to low lubrication levels due to pump pressure and viscosity. All of these are pretty much tied too initial startup though, and no engine is immune to it (a good block heater helps). I think it is pretty well documented that peak load is when the engine actually wears the most, as all of our testing would show but that's beside the point. Initial startup is terrible for emissions because the engine and exhaust system is cold, it is when combustion is generally at its worst and the cat's are not warmed up to clean anything up. Something that is less obvious though is that blowing relatively low temperature idle exhaust through the cats at a stoplight will generally reduce their temperature. They may stay above light off temp but they certainly are not as hot as during vehicle operation. Therefore start-stop can help maintain higher average cat temps in stop and go driving.

To clarify, I don't think there is anyone on here who particularly likes start-stop as a "feature". But you should all understand that you are likely getting the lesser of two evils unless you like paying more for stuff. Also as Carolina Jim pointed out, it is relatively easy to defeat this so I don't really see what all the fuss is. And as I said before, you are preaching to the choir here with regard to the hypocrisy of our current emissions standards, especially CAFE...

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly. I should’ve specified with this thread “nitcpicky things that could ACTUALLY happen”

Honestly at this point asking for no start stop is like asking for a catalytic converter delete from the factory. Or no airbags.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
catalytic converter delete from the factory. Or no airbags.
WOW....you think there's a chance those might be bronco options???

Seriously, before retiring I worked for a large corp which, among many other things, made PLCs or process automation devices. I remember reading R&D pieces where "small-batch" auto manufacturing might be just around the corner. In concept, someone might decide to make a run of '57 Chevys. Your comment made me realize I'd prolly prefer to have a new-old vehicle than a 2021 model. As we've discussed on this forum, the need for a manufacturer to sell a zillion units means compromise for Everyone. In a small-batch world everyone who wants a small/medium/large/XL Bronco would be happy.

But I think the great recession sidetracked that thought. And even though there was legislation passed specifically for low-volume auto makers, I think it's dead in the water.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey all the power to ya. Check out Icon or Maxlider’s Broncos they are sick as hell.

I am just super realistic about what the Bronco WILL be. It’s going to have start stop, the engine lineup will be Ecoboost, all this is pretty obvious at this point. I want to know about the cool shit they WILL do with it not the pipe dream “‘’72 with a coyote” pipe dream it seems so many people have.
Sponsored