Sponsored

What happened to Jeep? The mother of all SUVs has lost its edge...

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Wrangler is down by 11%. Pretty normal for just before a refresh. It is most other models that are the issue. Mainly the Renegade from what I have read. " 2.6% opting for a Bronco " Not a huge part really. Just the market. Wranglers have been red hot for a lot of years.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeep's problem isn't the Wrangler. Jeep's problem is everything else.

If they brought back a proper RWD square body XJ styled Cherokee they would sell the daylights out of it. Fiat 500s with tarted up sheet metal aren't exactly compelling.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rcr covers this with other Jeeps

Anything besides a Wrangler/Gladiator/GC isn’t worth it

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem with Jeep is Jeep. They’ve never been led well.

Why do they seem to get the Wrangler right? Well, there’s nothing to it. Same basic design at the core for over 50 years, so it’s hard to screw up.

They messed up with the Wagoneer by not putting wood grain vinyl down the side. As if engineers know what looks cool…. :)

They have also released a ton of junk over the last 20 years, so nothing else really sells besides that RAM pickup, but that’s not really an impressive number.

Bronco was new and different, so sure it got attention. Plus, Ford nailed the balanced look, but it’s not killing Wrangler sales, only making a small dent, but big enough to get their attention.

Sponsored

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jeep's problem isn't the Wrangler. Jeep's problem is everything else.
Tend to agree. Their small SUV’s aren’t compelling and their larger vehicles are way overpriced. To some degree, and this is a business interests not a political statement, I have to imagine bc of the coming EV mandates, all these domestic brands are having to dump loads of money into not only R&D for EV engineering and design but massive infrastructure projects for everything from battery plants (like Ford’s partner SK Battery in GA) to new purpose built assembly lines. I think Ford’s recent bailout speaks witness to that.

Car sales are down year over year by over 11%. UBS stated it estimates world wide car production will exceed sales by 6%. This has been a nasty economic snap back for automakers. They couldn’t build cars fast enough to meet demand and lost hundreds of millions in sales and then they over ordered enough inventory to out produce a slowing market and GDP.

These guys are stuck. I believe some of them don’t have the money to design alluring entry level vehicles and they’re forced to overcharge on their popular brands to feed projects for coming mandates. This has to be a very real problem for some of these companies. Think about the fact that even if everything goes perfect it takes 3 years from paper to production and they’re only 6 years from the mandates. Vehicles like the Bronco were being floated, what, 10-15 years ago? What you have to remember, and really the heart of all of this is, that no matter what is done, the cold hard truth is that all of this is because Jeeps suck.

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Rcr covers this with other Jeeps

Anything besides a Wrangler/Gladiator/GC isn’t worth it
I own a GC and it's pretty much overpriced noisy junk. There are vastly better SUVs that also cost less with more features and have vastly better NVH + cargo space.

I'd say the Gladator is a piss-poor product too.

The Wrangler is meh. I like the 4xe (borrowed one for a week) but not the price and 2.0L turbo. I'd rather have a Bronco.

Folks talk about declining car sales? Uh.. not really. It's just Stellantis that cranks out garbage and overprices their vehicles. Hyundai/Kia/Toyota/Lexus/Mazda/Tesla/etc all had sales growth.

The Stellantis model is to overprice their cars and offer incentives/rebates/discounts to make you feel like you are getting a deal. With car supply increasing, folks are buying what they want now and that's not Jeep products.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I own a GC and it's pretty much overpriced noisy junk. There are vastly better SUVs that also cost less with more features and have vastly better NVH + cargo space.

I'd say the Gladator is a piss-poor product too.

The Wrangler is meh. I like the 4xe (borrowed one for a week) but not the price and 2.0L turbo. I'd rather have a Bronco.

Folks talk about declining car sales? Uh.. not really. It's just Stellantis that cranks out garbage and overprices their vehicles. Hyundai/Kia/Toyota/Lexus/Mazda/Tesla/etc all had sales growth.

The Stellantis model is to overprice their cars and offer incentives/rebates/discounts to make you feel like you are getting a deal. With car supply increasing, folks are buying what they want now and that's not Jeep products.
true, but I gotta soft spot for Jeeps, since I always wanted a Red Wrangler and got this instead

first car was an 05 Liberty, talk about garbage, only car I never named or thought about afterwards

teh603

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Even the Wrangler is losing its touch, if the talk about how my busted- up KJ Liberty could off- road better than anything currently made is an indication. The feeling I got when I was still hanging out in Jeep spaces, was that Stellantis is running on brand loyalty and not a whole lot more.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Who wants an aged out motor? or Platform? I think a lot of vehicle manufactures are sand bagging the gas engine models as electric takes center stage.
I think the platform is fine, but in Jeep's case, it should not take a V8 or diesel to complete with Ford's twin turbo engines. The Wrangler's engines are woefully underpowered.

Electric has a long way to go--especially the infrastructure and we need to bridge the gap with hybrids for a decade or two until the infrastructure and technology catches up.

There are states that can't keep the lights on now during peak demand, much less with higher percentages of electric cars than are already in place.

Last edited:

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the platform is fine, but in Jeep's case, it should not take a V8 or diesel to complete with Ford's twin turbo engines. The Wrangler's engines are woefully underpowered.

Electric has a long way to go--especially the infrastructure and we need to bridge the gap with hybrids for a decade or two until the infrastructure and technology catches up.

There are states that can't keep the lights on now during peak demand, much less with higher percentages of electric cars than are already in place.
It's not so much an attack on the vehicle as it is a statement that it's not financially viable to invest as much in the technology. Vehicle market is changing and the electric crap is effecting everything. I am perfect fine with electric if they make me what I want. Sad part is technology is changing to rapidly for it to be worth buying into.

PS
I live in the state with what ever governor's name inserted before the word out. Example Brown Out, Grey out! I am pretty sure I am pro coal as it's the best fuel on earth. Oh as a Miner I am very bias on the subject.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's not so much an attack on the vehicle as it is a statement that it's not financially viable to invest as much in the technology. Vehicle market is changing and the electric crap is effecting everything. I am perfect fine with electric if they make me what I want. Sad part is technology is changing to rapidly for it to be worth buying into.

PS
I live in the state with what ever governor's name inserted before the word out. Example Brown Out, Grey out! I am pretty sure I am pro coal as it's the best fuel on earth. Oh as a Miner I am very bias on the subject.
Agree; I currently have a Wrangler so I can bang on it some.

I am considering switching to the dark side :ROFLMAO:

danane

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it'd suck to be a car maker. You have limited production, sparse lots + long wait times on orders, and people say you can't get your production act together and will go somewhere else. You speed up production, shorten wait times on orders and have lots of choices waiting for customers on lots...and people say you're messing up and can't sell lol.

I think the 2024 wrangler was a pretty solid mid cycle refresh (my 2024 willys 4xe gets delivered Monday!), but the prices on a lot of Jeep brand vehicles have gotten crazy. I'd be interested to see some other data to add context to this (like income/savings/debt of typical jeep buyers).

buckhorn_cortez

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, SHO, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In quarter one of 2023, Jeep Wrangler was -16.64% compared to 2022, and Bronco was +37.57% compared to 2022. The Bronco sales were within 5,000 vehicles of the Jeep Wrangler and when Ford gets their production numbers up will displace Jeep as the market leader in that segment.
Sponsored