Sponsored

What suspension for Overlanding With Weight?

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We don't have enough info on spring rates yet for a great comparison across the many options right now.

Personally I'd be interested in comparing the HOSS versions against the Old Man Emu variants.

The Emu heavy option specifically is to compensate for heavy bumpers, winch and roof rack.
I just wish the OME-Heavy had a similar shock to Bilstein 6112
Sponsored

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How so? The 6112 is a mild improvement over stock but not a platform evolution.
I believe the 6112 is better than stock SAS since stock is more comparable to 5100 and 6112 is an improvement above OME cuz it’s similar to 5100. You don’t agree?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I believe the 6112 is better than stock SAS since stock is more comparable to 5100 and 6112 is an improvement above OME cuz it’s similar to 5100. You don’t agree?
I'm not big on the 6112 but we don't have to agree on things and it's likely how we each value components or their attributes will differ for our individual needs.

I know you've been hounding suspension setups for a while from the other ARB offerings to Injen, etc.

FWIW, I run custom valve 5112's on my Thunderbird. Bilstein have a lot of near-oem options and are usually a nice mild upgrade.

I also ran custom Ohlins on the old track Evo, so I've some experience with setting up suspensions and dialing them in for on road. Off-road will be new.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And I think using perch collars in this situation would not be good. You gotta replace the springs with an appropriate spring.
Agreed. The perch collars would gain your height back, But you would still suffer the stiffer ride quality because the stock springs have been compressed 1+" more already.

The one unknown exception to this, is that if you were to raise via collars....it would put the stock shock back to it's original valve position so that could reduce some of the stiffness experience by the more compressed factory spring.

I don't know enough about the valving in the stock shocks to know how much compression (in inches) It takes for it to switch to a different valve port.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agreed. The perch collars would gain your height back, But you would still suffer the stiffer ride quality because the stock springs have been compressed 1+" more already.

The one unknown exception to this, is that if you were to raise via collars....it would put the stock shock back to it's original valve position so that could reduce some of the stiffness experience by the more compressed factory spring.

I don't know enough about the valving in the stock shocks to know how much compression (in inches) It takes for it to switch to a different valve port.
While this won't go into the specific question you asked, it has some free knowledge about the 4 types of shocks which exist.

It also touches on some personal opinions for the suspension path I want to take for my personal Bronco (ie: the intended driving determines the type of shock I prefer), which might give @Inlinejohn some greater input why I'm not huge on the Bilstein compared to the OME.

Note: this touches directly on Bilstein's gross over-generalization in how aeration can happen in a twin tube. Great marketing, but definately not the truth.

And specifically for Inlinejohn, the 6100 Bilstein is a great large-single-tube shock. There are also other means where smaller piston size can sometimes be an advantage.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While this won't go into the specific question you asked, it has some free knowledge about the 4 types of shocks which exist.

It also touches on some personal opinions for the suspension path I want to take for my personal Bronco (ie: the intended driving determines the type of shock I prefer), which might give @Inlinejohn some greater input why I'm not huge on the Bilstein compared to the OME.

Note: this touches directly on Bilstein's gross over-generalization in how aeration can happen in a twin tube. Great marketing, but definately not the truth.

And specifically for Inlinejohn, the 6100 Bilstein is a great large-single-tube shock. There are also other means where smaller piston size can sometimes be an advantage.

OK. GREAT videos and thanks for sharing. Really good review. I am sold on the Ironman FC technology but not finding it exists for Bronco yet.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Made my final and decision and ordered OME-Heavy today. Also got a stock suspension free from someone and removed top hats, etc to use on OME. This way I can keep my SAS suspension in tact and sell to someone in need.

Thanks for videos sent by @Rick Astley that helped me make my decision along with several phone calls to various companies and lots of research. The OME video from their website that I posted really hit the home run for me, even though I’d watched before….Getting a reminder of how OME has really dialed in Overlanding suspension helped.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2023-badlands-story.64045/post-1877288

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Made my final and decision and ordered OME-Heavy today. Also got a stock suspension free from someone and removed top hats, etc to use on OME. This way I can keep my SAS suspension in tact and sell to someone in need.

Thanks for videos sent by @Rick Astley that helped me make my decision along with several phone calls to various companies and lots of research. The OME video I posted really hit the home run for me, even thought I’d watched before….Getting a reminder of how OME has really dialed in Overlanding suspension helped.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2023-badlands-story.64045/post-1877288
You're a fastidious person with your modifications. I look forward to reading your impression of them!

Not only because that's the direction I'm leaning (OME), but that I'm still a year or two from pulling the trigger on suspension and you're the type to give a detailed review and not pull punches in said review.

It was that guy's info that had me look further into the mono tube/dual tube debate and, like you, I ended at a very different perspective of mono tube vs. my actual needs than where I started.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're a fastidious person with your modifications. I look forward to reading your impression of them!

Not only because that's the direction I'm leaning (OME), but that I'm still a year or two from pulling the trigger on suspension and you're the type to give a detailed review and not pull punches in said review.

It was that guy's info that had me look further into the mono tube/dual tube debate and, like you, I ended at a very different perspective of mono tube vs. my actual needs than where I started.
I did email/call Ironman4x4 and they said they are in the early stages of developing a FC Pro for the Bronco so watch out for that. If that was available today I would have seriously compared that to OME, but since I can get OME now and get the kit ready for my Bronco that arrives in a week or so I pulled the early trigger. If I ever wear out the OME and Ironman4x4 is available, it will be a contender. And with my green Bronco the black/green coilovers would be pretty cool :)

Thanks for following and contributing to this discussion
Sponsored