Sponsored

What suspension for Overlanding With Weight?

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What suspension are you guys choosing for Overlanding with weight? I added up my add ons (Gobi, RTT, front/rear steel bumpers, winch, skids, sliders, moles, ARB compressor, fridge, gear) and is above 900lbs extra. I’ve done tons of research and still undecided on suspension. The 3 I’m focused on at the moment are OME Nitro Chargers (heavy), OME BP51 (not released yet), Bilstein 6112 (but waiting for their heavy springs)

What have you chosen and why?
Sponsored

medguy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Currently planning to go with dobinsons IMS. Its worth looking into. They are what I ran on my 4runner that did plenty of overlanding. In my opinion they are better than OME and many people feel the same in the 4runner community.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Currently planning to go with dobinsons IMS. Its worth looking into. They are what I ran on my 4runner that did plenty of overlanding. In my opinion they are better than OME and many people feel the same in the 4runner community.
I sent them an email

medguy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I sent them an email
Let me know what they tell you. I want them to make heavier front springs and they said that they would consider it once they get enough interest in the bronco community.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let me know what they tell you. I want them to make heavier front springs and they said that they would consider it once they get enough interest in the bronco community.
I think there's plenty of interest but if they expect all Bronco customers to come to them before they'll develop something, that's not gonna happen. They need to be more present to the forum community and stake a presence. If Bilstein 6112 comes out w heavy springs, this will be their competition.

Sponsored

medguy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think there's plenty of interest but if they expect all Bronco customers to come to them before they'll develop something, that's not gonna happen. They need to be more present to the forum community and stake a presence. If Bilstein 6112 comes out w heavy springs, this will be their competition.
I kinda question if there is interest, seeing as how many of the lift kits out seem to think that people don't want to put a bumper and winch on their lifted broncos.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I kinda question if there is interest, seeing as how many of the lift kits out seem to think that people don't want to put a bumper and winch on their lifted broncos.
I think the interest will come with experience as many start using their Broncos for more heavy weight jobs and realize the suspension they chose for "off-roading" is not enough. This is why I'm trying to research this to death so I choose the "right" suspension for me.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sort of in the same boat but between my bumper, wich, rails, and skids I added just over 500 lbs. Sunk my front about 1.25 inches and my rear 1 inch.

For now I'm just going with it, but at some point would like to get that back (maybe a tad more).

Perch collars ate the only for sure answer right now because they would be exact.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sort of in the same boat but between my bumper, wich, rails, and skids I added just over 500 lbs. Sunk my front about 1.25 inches and my rear 1 inch.

For now I'm just going with it, but at some point would like to get that back (maybe a tad more).

Perch collars ate the only for sure answer right now because they would be exact.
And I think using perch collars in this situation would not be good. You gotta replace the springs with an appropriate spring.

FreshKsig

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco, 22 BB Bronco, 21 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Mine is currently in the shop right now getting the eibach stage 2 on it for the same reason. I’ve added a ton of weight and settled on the eibach because it is adjustable. Wanted to lift it back up and level it but still dial it in to make sure I can park in the garage still.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine is currently in the shop right now getting the eibach stage 2 on it for the same reason. I’ve added a ton of weight and settled on the eibach because it is adjustable. Wanted to lift it back up and level it but still dial it in to make sure I can park in the garage still.
I called Eibach a couple weeks ago and they said they were developing a heavy spring for this application. Met a guy with Eibach on a Wildtrak w a winch and not super heavy steel bumper and his was sagged in the front and he said his adjustment was maxed out. He’s on 37s

IMG_6890.jpeg

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are going with the RPG Long Travel kit. Although this is not exactly focused for overland travel the adjustability in general for more coilovers are great for leveling the vehicle and smoothing out offroad travel.

FreshKsig

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco, 22 BB Bronco, 21 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I called Eibach a couple weeks ago and they said they were developing a heavy spring for this application. Met a guy with Eibach on a Wildtrak w a winch and not super heavy steel bumper and his was sagged in the front and he said his adjustment was maxed out. He’s on 37s

Ford Bronco What suspension for Overlanding With Weight? IMG_6890
I would not put those on if I was loaded heavy and running 37’s for sure. I’m loaded heavy and just trying to get back to factory, maybe an inch higher. if I ever decide to go with 37’s I’ll have to go back to the drawing board and redo everything to make sure the geometry stays right. And I’d have to build a taller garage. Haha

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

HOSS 1.0 coils and 5100 shocks here and not anywhere near the sag others have gotten. I would personally gamble on HOSS 1.0 coils and Icon 2.5 struts at this time as being the most load supporting option.

Dobinsons are scheduled for release this summer and look like a good middle of the road setup.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
HOSS 1.0 coils and 5100 shocks here and not anywhere near the sag others have gotten. I would personally gamble on HOSS 1.0 coils and Icon 2.5 struts at this time as being the most load supporting option.

Dobinsons are scheduled for release this summer and look like a good middle of the road setup.
We don't have enough info on spring rates yet for a great comparison across the many options right now.

Personally I'd be interested in comparing the HOSS versions against the Old Man Emu variants.

The Emu heavy option specifically is to compensate for heavy bumpers, winch and roof rack.
Sponsored