Sponsored

When will Bronco become a real threat to Jeep?

Goocci gang

Base
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu
Your Bronco Model
Base
Reading through these comments ,including my own, makes me wonder how many of you jeep defectors will go back now that it has come out that you cant get the Sasquatch package with the manual? It's not a deal breaker for me, but it does make me have second thoughts on the Bronco cutting into the Jeep sales with that angle. The longer this drags out and more information comes out, its starting to look like the Jeep is the better buy.
I'll keep my. Jlu unless bronco comes out in a v8 and the jeep v8 is auto only
Sponsored

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
the bronco is much better looking car than the jeep. the 2dr model exudes a vintage vibe with new features and the non samsquantch models will attract buyers that prolly wouldn't even consider a jeep, because the 2dr bronc is closer looking to an suv than a jeep.

jeep could lose really big here

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the bronco is much better looking car than the jeep. the 2dr model exudes a vintage vibe with new features and the non samsquantch models will attract buyers that prolly wouldn't even consider a jeep, because the 2dr bronc is closer looking to an suv than a jeep.

jeep could lose really big here
My opinion is the exact opposite...and history bears this out...this competition will be good for both brands! That is ONLY if the bronco succeeds! You gotta consider what life has been like on the other side. For decades now the Chrysler corporate axe has hovered over the wrangler like the sword of Damacles. All the while they have enjoyed a virtual monopoly! This is the way the auto industry works. Healthy competition from a big player like Ford is what it takes to show execs how good they had it in the first place...they simply don't understand it any other way. I do have some reservations about the new bronco...I'm still gonna buy one. Had the bronco never happened I would have bought a rubicon, but only so I could get one before they stopped making them...which was the way that deal was headed. Now I have a choice (as the other forum members are very quick to point out). Being a Ford guy 1st and a Jeeper second...my choice is bronco...but the next guy might be jeep. Either way more people will consider either than would have been pidgeon holed into a wrangler. This is going to be good competition for all! Hopefully fans of both brands will get a better product too!

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My opinion is the exact opposite...and history bears this out...this competition will be good for both brands! That is ONLY if the bronco succeeds! You gotta consider what life has been like on the other side. For decades now the Chrysler corporate axe has hovered over the wrangler like the sword of Damacles. All the while they have enjoyed a virtual monopoly! This is the way the auto industry works. Healthy competition from a big player like Ford is what it takes to show execs how good they had it in the first place...they simply don't understand it any other way. I do have some reservations about the new bronco...I'm still gonna buy one. Had the bronco never happened I would have bought a rubicon, but only so I could get one before they stopped making them...which was the way that deal was headed. Now I have a choice (as the other forum members are very quick to point out). Being a Ford guy 1st and a Jeeper second...my choice is bronco...but the next guy might be jeep. Either way more people will consider either than would have been pidgeon holed into a wrangler. This is going to be good competition for all! Hopefully fans of both brands will get a better product too!

the jeep stopped being a jeep in 1984 when they took out all the gauges. they tried for more finishing and upgrades to a "jeep" essentially moving away from the ruggedness of a jeep look that many wanted. year after year.

also,...as many of us have gotten older the jeep became a hard, noisy, ride. i'm sure ford's ride will be better as well.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the jeep stopped being a jeep in 1984 when they took out all the gauges. they tried for more finishing and upgrades to a "jeep" essentially moving away from the ruggedness of a jeep look that many wanted. year after year.

also,...as many of us have gotten older the jeep became a hard, noisy, ride. i'm sure ford's ride will be better as well.
May I ask how old you are and how many jeeps you've owned? 1984 was a breakthrough year for jeep...saved the brand. Of course didn't save AMC!

Sponsored

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
May I ask how old you are and how many jeeps you've owned? 1984 was a breakthrough year for jeep...saved the brand. Of course didn't save AMC!
the only way ford doesn't eat away at jeeps market share is if they come out with a homage of the cj-7 or like model. obv coming out with upgrades that you see them modded out with.

face it, the jeeps design and many things about it are unremarkable on many levels, for many years, and nothing about the looks of it will make anyone "have to have it"

Last edited:

Fergie72

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Ford Bronco, 2013 Explorer, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought my 1972 Bronco when I was 16 years old and was thinking about a Jeep or a Landcruiser. The Bronco was so much more attractive and classic for me, rather than the other two that reminded me of a Model T. The new Bronco is so far superior to any Jeep I have ever seen and will be a leader for the next 10-11 years before it retires again. Jeep will lost at least 30-40% of market share

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The funniest thing about reading these forums is how many times people repeat the whole "90% of all people who buy offroad vehicles don't go offroad!"

well, if that's your excuse/reasoning/coping for Ford making something less capable offroad... you do you. The mustang doesn't sell as well as it does because the ecoboost or the old v6 are just fantastic vehicles and 90% never races them... They sell because the GT and GT500 are great bang for the buck and have set a certain image for the vehicle.

Then there's the "IFS is better at high speed in the desert!" crowd. Fantastic, I guess all of those people buying wranglers to make prerunners out of them are gonna flock to Ford now. That or they'll just lose some raptor sales.

I've been called a jeephole on forums and facebook groups despite having over 100 grand worth of Fords and 3 grand worth of jeep XJ... Lol, talk about desperation from the fanbois.

See ya on the trails... or the other 90% of you at the mall.

cyberbro

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So when and what will it take for the Bronco to become a real threat to Jeep's market share?

Will FCA/Jeep be watching the Bronco reveal or product release and start copying features with a goal of introducing them in a year or two to try and alleviate some lost sales?

Will FCA/Jeep try to improve their quality to compete with the higher perceived quality of Ford?

Will FCA/Jeep drop their prices to compete?

If any of these scenarios come true it will be good for us Bronco buyers as we know that competition keeps prices down and increases innovation.

December when the order banks open up.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The funniest thing about reading these forums is how many times people repeat the whole "90% of all people who buy offroad vehicles don't go offroad!"

well, if that's your excuse/reasoning/coping for Ford making something less capable offroad... you do you. The mustang doesn't sell as well as it does because the ecoboost or the old v6 are just fantastic vehicles and 90% never races them... They sell because the GT and GT500 are great bang for the buck and have set a certain image for the vehicle.

Then there's the "IFS is better at high speed in the desert!" crowd. Fantastic, I guess all of those people buying wranglers to make prerunners out of them are gonna flock to Ford now. That or they'll just lose some raptor sales.

I've been called a jeephole on forums and facebook groups despite having over 100 grand worth of Fords and 3 grand worth of jeep XJ... Lol, talk about desperation from the fanbois.

See ya on the trails... or the other 90% of you at the mall.
Problem with this is how people actually buy vehicles. The average person who's honestly cross shopping will go test drive a Wrangler around the block and then test drive a Bronco around the block and they'll all think the Bronco has better handling, better steering, better ride comfort, is quicker, etc, etc. The Jeeps sales guy can wax on all he wants about solid front axle, but most people aren't going to get into the weeds talking about suspension dynamics. All the Ford guy has to do is ask, "are you going to do any heavy duty rock crawling?" and the Jeep guy's argument is sunk.

Ford doesn't have to convert the hardest of hardcore Jeep fans and rock crawlers to outsell the Wrangler. They have to get more new buyers than Jeep and pick off some Jeep owners when they are ready to trade in or trade up for another.

FYI, When they say IFS is better at speed that doesn't mean ripping through the desert at 80mph. It means faster than practically-not-moving. Ford would really have to screw up the suspension tuning for the Bronco to not be more comfortable and confident than a Wrangler cruising down a rocky road at 20 mph.

Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Problem with this is how people actually buy vehicles. The average person who's honestly cross shopping will go test drive a Wrangler around the block and then test drive a Bronco around the block and they'll all think the Bronco has better handling, better steering, better ride comfort, is quicker, etc, etc. The Jeeps sales guy can wax on all he wants about solid front axle, but most people aren't going to get into the weeds talking about suspension dynamics. All the Ford guy has to do is ask, "are you going to do any heavy duty rock crawling?" and the Jeep guy's argument is sunk.

Ford doesn't have to convert the hardest of hardcore Jeep fans and rock crawlers to outsell the Wrangler. They have to get more new buyers than Jeep and pick off some Jeep owners when they are ready to trade in or trade up for another.

FYI, When they say IFS is better at speed that doesn't mean ripping through the desert at 80mph. It means faster than practically-not-moving. Ford would really have to screw up the suspension tuning for the Bronco to not be more comfortable and confident than a Wrangler cruising down a rocky road at 20 mph.
Those same people who don't give a damn about the suspension dynamics, would have zero clue about what the suspension looks like or handling differences between two 5000lb suv's. I like how people act as if wranglers go down the street like a pinball machine because omg, solid axle can't handle... but the fact of the matter is, you'll really have to push a vehicle to its handling limits to start noticing a difference... JKs and JLs are much more refined than leaf sprung YJs and CJs...

Like I said, I don't think people cross shop these enthusiast vehicles for their merit - let's be honest there are other vehicles that will be much more comfortable, handle way better, and have better fuel economy for the same money (aka every non enthusiast suv out there). They shop them for the image, which image gets set by those who mod the shit out of them and wheel them...

The FJ handled better and was more comfortable than the wrangler... and all the Toyota sales guy had to do is ask, "are you going to do any heavy duty rock crawling?". And yet the FJ sunk. Why? You can count the number of badass lifted FJs on 37s you've seen in your entire lifetime on the fingers of one hand.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It was another wrangler competitor... you know, one that had a great classic name and reputation from a solid axle past... That came back with an IFS, better handling and more comfort... Do you truly believe the only reason the FJ failed miserably was the fact that the top didn't come off?
Sponsored