Sponsored

Which is the more reliable engine 2.3 or 2.7?

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 has has more issues in the early deliveries. It’s a newer engine. Seems to be doing good now.
Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is one engine more reliable than the other, 2.3 or 2.7?
IMO, they are both great engines. Get the engine you need.
I have the 2.3 in my ranger. I had the 2.7 in my F150 and my Bronco has the 2.7
Both are powerful and quick. If you tow something large, get the 2.7

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2 years ago they brought 2 broncos to my local dealer,I looked under the hood of the 2.7 and was glad I ordered the 2.3 love it.

Sponsored

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one thing I've read in a number of places is the oil pan in the 2.3 has a better design that doesn't allow the pump intake to become exposed on steep inclines, and the 2.7 has been rumored to do just that.
only from what I've read (no direct experience), the reason for the 2.7 7qt vs 6qt oil pan is to compensate for the inclines

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

4 door, Sasquatched, loaded up with over landing gear..... 2.7 was the only option.

LMF Bronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford service advisor here. Both great engines IMO that both have up and down sides. Downsides of the 2.3 are no port injection, and under relatively higher strain for the application (although plenty of giddyup when needed). The 2.7 is a great motor, understrained, and has both port and direct injection which is good for longevity and to fight carbon build up. Overall between the two I would say the 2.3 is the more reliable option primarily because being single turbo and inline 4 cylinder there's just a lot less to go wrong- fewer coolant/oil lines to leak, fewer valvetrain components, less overall plumbing etc. While all the individual parts are reliable, there are more parts on the 2.7 to have a problem with. The engine bay also looks a lot easier to work in for the 2.3 meaning cost of repairs should be lower.

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford service advisor here. Both great engines IMO that both have up and down sides. Downsides of the 2.3 are no port injection, and under relatively higher strain for the application (although plenty of giddyup when needed). The 2.7 is a great motor, understrained, and has both port and direct injection which is good for longevity and to fight carbon build up. Overall between the two I would say the 2.3 is the more reliable option primarily because being single turbo and inline 4 cylinder there's just a lot less to go wrong- fewer coolant/oil lines to leak, fewer valvetrain components, less overall plumbing etc. While all the individual parts are reliable, there are more parts on the 2.7 to have a problem with. The engine bay also looks a lot easier to work in for the 2.3 meaning cost of repairs should be lower.
This is my thinking and why I'm leaning towards the 2.3, along with the Ford Performance tune offering almost identical performance to the 2.7. Not to mention the next-gen 2.3 debuting on the Mustang has dual injection and even better performance, no doubt it will be introduced to the Bronco in the near future.

Sponsored

Cyber2D

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2.3L. No question. Relatively simple and proven engine architecture. You can get a lazy V6 or one of the best I4s available today. Easy choice.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How often is the engine itself the 'weak link' on a modern passenger vehicle? When they 'die' (i.e. require more than the value of the vehicle to repair), it seems to usually be electronics, transmission, frame rust, cooling system, etc.

The V6 has had recent teething problems and has way more parts to fail, and the I4 lacks port injection; so neither is perfect.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2.3L. No question. Relatively simple and proven engine architecture. You can get a lazy V6 or one of the best I4s available today. Easy choice.
Lazy how?

This topic reminds me of the 2dr-4dr threads. Seems like only one side is super jazzed up about the other sucking.

Who knew having wrong number of doors and cylinders was this much fun! 🤪

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The best engine is the one that passes you by while you're stuck on the side of the road broke down.:unsure:
Sponsored