Sponsored

Which is the more reliable engine 2.3 or 2.7?

Cyber2D

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lazy how?

This topic reminds me of the 2dr-4dr threads. Seems like only one side is super jazzed up about the other sucking.

Who knew having wrong number of doors and cylinders was this much fun! 🤪
Lazy means exactly what you think. For a V6 turbo, the 2.7L in Bronco guise is a disappointment of a motor.

So meh V6 or one of the best turbo 4s on the market (with all of the weight, efficiency, and reliability benefits). Ezpz choice.

Choosing the wrong amount of doors is certainly your opinion, but engine choice is pretty cut and dry.
Sponsored

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The engines themselves are much more reliable than the electronics. More likely to have electrical gremlins than hardware failures on either engine.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lazy means exactly what you think. For a V6 turbo, the 2.7L in Bronco guise is a disappointment of a motor.

So meh V6 or one of the best turbo 4s on the market (with all of the weight, efficiency, and reliability benefits). Ezpz choice.

Choosing the wrong amount of doors is certainly your opinion, but engine choice is pretty cut and dry.
LMFAO, the 2.7 is hardly "meh" and can be reprogrammed to its full potential in the future. The low end torque of the 2.7 certainly puts the 2.3 to shame, and yes, while you can reprogram the 2.3, the 2.7 has more potential... You could simply upgrade the turbos and make a ton more HP on the 2.7 while minimally affecting low end torque.

Cyber2D

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

LMFAO, the 2.7 is hardly "meh" and can be reprogrammed to its full potential in the future. The low end torque of the 2.7 certainly puts the 2.3 to shame, and yes, while you can reprogram the 2.3, the 2.7 has more potential... You could simply upgrade the turbos and make a ton more HP on the 2.7 while minimally affecting low end torque.

"But you can mod this, and this, and then it's better!"

Yeah, sure. And the 2.3L shares it's engine with the Focus RS. You think it can't be modded to the moon and back? We can play this game all day.

Fact of the matter is that the $800 Ford Performance tune puts the 2.3L at 330hp/385tq. Same power and just 15 lb-ft shy of the 2.7, and you still have an extra $1k in savings.

The 2.7L is just a really lousy V6. Is it more powerful? Sure. Is it a fairly unremarkable engine and worth $2k extra over the excellent 2.3L? Meh.

Don't kid yourself thinking that even 1% of bronco owners will upgrade their turbos. Wrong demo, worthless point to bring up.

Wake me up when they put the 3.5L in. Till then, manual + 2.3L is the best option.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"But you can mod this, and this, and then it's better!"

Yeah, sure. And the 2.3L shares it's engine with the Focus RS. You think it can't be modded to the moon and back? We can play this game all day.

Fact of the matter is that the $800 Ford Performance tune puts the 2.3L at 330hp/385tq. Same power and just 15 lb-ft shy of the 2.7, and you still have an extra $1k in savings.

The 2.7L is just a really lousy V6. Is it more powerful? Sure. Is it a fairly unremarkable engine and worth $2k extra over the excellent 2.3L? Meh.

Don't kid yourself thinking that even 1% of bronco owners will upgrade their turbos. Wrong demo, worthless point to bring up.

Wake me up when they put the 3.5L in. Till then, manual + 2.3L is the best option.
Well we at least both agree that the 3.5 would have been a better option than the 2.7

Also you should compare 2.7 FP tune vs 2.3 FP tune - keep it "apples to apples"

355 HP and 433 ft/lbs torque (iirc)
vs
330 HP and 385 ft/lbs torque

25 HP and 48 ft/lbs of torque is nothing to sneeze at.

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Both seem like good engines. Since mine is a replacement for a daily driver, the 2.7 automatic seemed like the logical choice. If this was a second vehicle purely for weekend fun, I probably would have gone the 2.3 manual route (2 door, delete the 2nd row seats, fewer creature comforts.)

Cyber2D

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

25 HP and 48 ft/lbs of torque is nothing to sneeze at.
I would actually sneeze at that, lmao. The 2019 Miata got a 25hp-ish power bump and it really isn't that noticeable, and that's a car that weighs almost nothing. Really doubt I'd notice 25hp in a 4k pound suv. Torque, maybe. But it's not like 385 doesn't do the trick.

There's still an almost $2k difference between the 2.3L and 2.7L (assuming both tuned or untuned). $2k for 25 hp but more lower efficiency, more weight, and more shit to go wrong?

Like I said before, meh. If you're going to get a four door sas and plan on having passengers often, get the 2.7L. Anything less and I'd just save the money.

Last edited:

Brettlil17

Outer Banks
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My opinion only.. the hp/tq gain isn’t worth the value. Almost 2k difference. I owned several 2.3s. Still drive my duratec 2.3 in my ranger and it’s pushing 250k miles.It’s a tough little motor. The 2.3 base motor has been around for a while, obviously changed over the years but they have had plenty of r&d time to figure it out. For a reliability reasons I think the 2.3 would be the best bet. Not saying the v6 is a bad choice, just as a overall perspective 4 cylinders are known to outlast most v6/v8 motors (subjectivity)

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lots of talk from the 2.3 crowd looking at a performance tune says it all.

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lazy how?

This topic reminds me of the 2dr-4dr threads. Seems like only one side is super jazzed up about the other sucking.

Who knew having wrong number of doors and cylinders was this much fun! 🤪
Its usually the 2dr and 2.3l crowds that have to stand extra tall to defend what they got. The fact is, if Ford stop selling either of them very few people would notice or care. Take rates are just so low.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I wanted to drive a damn automatic I'd have kept the wife's old Expedition.

Choice for me was super simple. Buy the largest engine you can get with a manual transmission.

The 2.3 is an older engine than the 2.7, but both are mature technologies. The 2.7 had issues in the F-150 when first introduced, but that was a turbo/humidity issue that was addressed years ago. The 2.3 is basically the eco-boost Mustang engine with different tuning.

With the turbos, neither is likely to last as long as the good old Triton, and nothing Ford ever builds now or in the future will ever be as reliable as the old 300 CI In-line 6.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would actually sneeze at that, lmao. The 2019 Miata got a 25hp-ish power bump and it really isn't that noticeable, and that's a car that weighs almost nothing. Really doubt I'd notice 25hp in a 4k pound suv. Torque, maybe. But it's not like 385 doesn't do the trick.

There's still an almost $2k difference between the 2.3L and 2.7L (assuming both tuned or untuned). $2k for 25 hp but more lower efficiency, more weight, and more shit to go wrong?

Like I said before, meh. If you're going to get a four door sas and plan on having passengers often, get the 2.7L. Anything less and I'd just save the money.
Definitely different vehicles with different purposes. Although, when talking factory numbers, I want to see that 25 on the dyno.

side note: Miata's are much more for when they are putting down over 300 HP.

From a reliability standpoint, I don't disagree that statistically the 4 cylinder is likely to be the more reliable motor - less parts by a significant amount means less possible failure points (all other things being equal).

As far as fun factor, I wish I could have had a manual shifted 3.5 (or even the 2.7). The 2 door 2.7 slushbox is fun and the automatic is surprisingly competent. I have not driven the 2.3 manual and would need to do so before passing judgment on it.

I considered ordering a Badlands 2 door lux with the 2.3 manual, but due to the way Ford limited the various trims, it was not an option for my build (cloth interior and lux package).

Also, I would have been constantly comparing it to the manual transmissions both in my miatas of the past and the F355 (both are excellent, with the Miata being better). At the time I ordered, it was a crapshoot - but my understanding now is that the Ford manual transmission is quite good.

Another side note: The 2 door 2.7 OBX adv 4x4 w/ lux and tow packages was still over $1k less money than a 2.3 manual Badlands (and for good reason - front locker and sway bar disconnect) w/ lux and tow packages.

Last edited:

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 4 cylinder just by the virtue of having less parts is probably in most cases more reliable.
In my opinion there is too much focus on horsepower. Based on my experience, the 2.7 is the way to go if you tow.Great torque that pulls loaded trailer weights up to 2000 lbs. with ease and without a bunch of rpm's to do the job.

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After reading four pages, I felt it was important to make this clear:

I prefer Hostess HoHo's to Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roles.

That's my advice, and I know lots of things...
Sponsored