First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
$6500 price difference if you keep the standard package on the Badlands. This is my swag at justifying the cost difference, and these are all things that I actually want:

$2000 - MGV
$500 - Rubberized flooring with drain
$1500 - Sway bar
$800 - Signature lighting
$800 - Nicer grille
$500 - High level instrument panel
$500 - Nicer interior appointments (dash, doors, etc)
$500 - Extra goat modes
$500 - Steel rear bumper

Plus, you get a cool Badlands sticker and some extra clout.
My 4 dr basesquatch build comes to 44K and my 4dr nonsquatch badlands is at 48K. Both have the 2.7 and I’ve added bumper, rock rails and floor liners to the base. I still think the base is the better deal but am leaning toward the BL because of a lot of the stuff you mention plus I would rather start with the 33s. They’re both over what I was originally prepared to spend!
Sponsored

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Don't sweat it, I've gone through this, BB is not the best deal, it seems Base with SAS is, also been looking at BD, however most are buying this on looks, after owning several 4X4 Toyotas with lockers or locking hubs (first gen 4Runner), and off roading in Baja and other places before it was a fad, I can tell you most will not use their rear lockers 99.9% of the time and even less for a front locker. Plus you can really screw up your drive system if you are not familiar with properly using the lockers at the right time, which is essentially a back up system for offroad. Essentially the key to off-road are suspension and clearance first in high 2X4, 4X4 high, 4X4 low then lockers...so the base offers almost everything. I personally would prefer to have a rear locker, but front is for bragging rights for most
I use my rear locker every time I am on the beach, which is often between NJ and northern OBX. Especially enjoyable when the sugar sands are super soft, but then I will air down to 10psi because I run real beadlocks, 4lo and locked rear.... What I really want is the rear locker and a Torsen front diff with the squatch suspension. Twenty years on the beach, I've never needed help...

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't sweat it, I've gone through this, BB is not the best deal, it seems Base with SAS is, also been looking at BD, however most are buying this on looks, after owning several 4X4 Toyotas with lockers or locking hubs (first gen 4Runner), and off roading in Baja and other places before it was a fad, I can tell you most will not use their rear lockers 99.9% of the time and even less for a front locker. Plus you can really screw up your drive system if you are not familiar with properly using the lockers at the right time, which is essentially a back up system for offroad. Essentially the key to off-road are suspension and clearance first in high 2X4, 4X4 high, 4X4 low then lockers...so the base offers almost everything. I personally would prefer to have a rear locker, but front is for bragging rights for most
This is very true. It is nice to have at least the rear as that will get you out of trouble and like you said the front is a bonus that most will probably never use.

After the B&P came out I changed my mind from the BL and was all in on the BD as my DD. Then I built a Base SAS and the more I thought about it it makes more sense to keep my loaded Ranger and go this route. I'd have to go back to the BL with LuX to replace my Ranger and personally I don't see the value in that. So Base SAS with the HD bumper, aux switches, brush guard and possibly the mesh Bimini top comes out to $37,364. Then with the Granger Ford October discount it'll be around $34,066. I'm done...I hope! ?

Ford Bronco Why Base is best Base SAS2

Phil_68w10

Big Bend
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have 3 builds right now. A BB at 46k. A BD at 46k, and a BL at just over 50k. None are squatched because I want to go aftermarket for a lift and tires. I'm just not huge on the beadlock capable wheels and those goodyears. I'm most likely waiting until the last minute to place my order. Granted, a base would be nice because of the pricing, but there's just a few added things with the higher trims I like.

Edit* also, I can't get A51 with the base.

Seant

Base
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use my rear locker every time I am on the beach, which is often between NJ and northern OBX. Especially enjoyable when the sugar sands are super soft, but then I will air down to 10psi because I run real beadlocks, 4lo and locked rear.... What I really want is the rear locker and a Torsen front diff with the squatch suspension. Twenty years on the beach, I've never needed help...
many moons ago, I got caught not being able to climb a massive sand dune in Baja , very remote place. At the time I had a 1st Gen 4Runner V6. I would take running starts but would be short of going over the hill. All of a sudden an old 70s full size pickup showed up as they were collecting black sand down the beach (more like pebbles). They pulled us up that massive dune with laundry rope after I gave them $20 (best investment ever). They did not have 4X4 and if they did it was very primitive. Difference was they were loaded down with bed full of rocks and my intuition told me remove all weight from my own vehicle. That old pickup went up a 45 deg massive sand dune without an issue. They would come down the hill to the beach empty and then power up with weight back home...very odd experience. So I believe lockers on that occasion would have been useless as all tires would be spinning in the soft sand at the same rate eitherway.
In any situation that the vehicle loses momentum and gets bugged down, then it comes down to winch, lockers, limited slip and traction pad. Lockers naturally being the best option to get the traction back to all wheels especially when momentum is lost and stopping in sand, wet sand or mud.
I'm not devaluating not having lockers, but most will never even click that button(s). Plus here in the States unlike Mexico and Australia, many states don't have the access to public lands due to high ownership of private lands. So most of us spend 99.9% of the time on public paved roads.

Sponsored

Seant

Base
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is very true. It is nice to have at least the rear as that will get you out of trouble and like you said the front is a bonus that most will probably never use.

After the B&P came out I changed my mind from the BL and was all in on the BD as my DD. Then I built a Base SAS and the more I thought about it it makes more sense to keep my loaded Ranger and go this route. I'd have to go back to the BL with LuX to replace my Ranger and personally I don't see the value in that. So Base SAS with the HD bumper, aux switches, brush guard and possibly the mesh Bimini top comes out to $37,364. Then with the Granger Ford October discount it'll be around $34,066. I'm done...I hope! ?

Ford Bronco Why Base is best Base SAS2
Yeap, very similar idea, I have pushed BB out and it's close to your built or straight up Black Diamond as is...I think that is a very good value.

glutton

Badlands
First Name
wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why don't people consider base with sasquatch and modular bumper comes with bash plates. And get brush gaurd and rock rails for like 37500. You will have a badass off-road machine.
So I mostly agree and see what you're saying. I'm going up one to the Big Bend because I want the mid package. So get a lot for a reasonable price. So I'm following your advice and considering a lower model. I am torn on the color. I'm down to three colors, Cactus Gray, A51 and Carbonized Gray. I need to see them on a auto.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

many moons ago, I got caught not being able to climb a massive sand dune in Baja , very remote place. At the time I had a 1st Gen 4Runner V6. I would take running starts but would be short of going over the hill. All of a sudden an old 70s full size pickup showed up as they were collecting black sand down the beach (more like pebbles). They pulled us up that massive dune with laundry rope after I gave them $20 (best investment ever). They did not have 4X4 and if they did it was very primitive. Difference was they were loaded down with bed full of rocks and my intuition told me remove all weight from my own vehicle. That old pickup went up a 45 deg massive sand dune without an issue. They would come down the hill to the beach empty and then power up with weight back home...very odd experience. So I believe lockers on that occasion would have been useless as all tires would be spinning in the soft sand at the same rate eitherway.
In any situation that the vehicle loses momentum and gets bugged down, then it comes down to winch, lockers, limited slip and traction pad. Lockers naturally being the best option to get the traction back to all wheels especially when momentum is lost and stopping in sand, wet sand or mud.
I'm not devaluating not having lockers, but most will never even click that button(s). Plus here in the States unlike Mexico and Australia, many states don't have the access to public lands due to high ownership of private lands. So most of us spend 99.9% of the time on public paved roads.
Agree most won't click the lockers, I will. And there was one spot in OBX I would have used the front last year, I know my Torsen was working when I went up a hill of sugar.
Many more moons ago, the old guard where I started driving the beach, and the guys who taught me, didnt have 4wd, they used old Model T's and A's when they started...it was about tire pressure and bald tires. A common misconception on sand driving is you need traction, you don't, you need to float over the sand. I bet that old F150 was aired down. You can run at 12 without breaking the bead if you are slow and not trying hard turns.

Ford Bronco Why Base is best FrontPageHeadin

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
New to the forum. I am somewhere between the base with some accessories like the modular bumper, roof rack, etc., and the Big Bend as it seems like a decent deal with the rear locker, tinted windows, bigger wheels and tires, and I like the cactus gray. I love the idea of the base man squatch, or base squatch with the 2.7, but not sure I really need squatch. I can not recall ever using lockers, and I use my truck mostly for snow, camping, and access to trails... no extreme off roading. Anyway, I’m happy to be a part of the forum after lurking the last few weeks, and appreciate any ideas/ comments.

Bladerunner24

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 expedition, 67 camaro rs, 89 bmw 535i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was dead set on base until I researched big bend a little more and realized paying 2500 extra would get me better rims, accessories,and options to choose from like tow package.

Sponsored

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife has a 2018 Lexus RX 350 F-Sport. It has everything you could possibly want - I mean it blows cold air up your butt In the middle of July! That should be illegal. It is a great car, but I don’t get any joy when I drive it. It is sterile and soulless. I need to feel that I am part of the driving experience. That is why I am going with the manual T. I will get the base if I decide not to get the MGV. even if I get the MGV I will not be getting any other packages because I’ve leaned that for me the luxuries and the little extras aren’t what make for an enjoyable driving experience.
for those that are planning on after market seats / covers - can you really get an after market MGV seat that is just as good as factory installed?

Seant

Base
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agree most won't click the lockers, I will. And there was one spot in OBX I would have used the front last year, I know my Torsen was working when I went up a hill of sugar.
Many more moons ago, the old guard where I started driving the beach, and the guys who taught me, didnt have 4wd, they used old Model T's and A's when they started...it was about tire pressure and bald tires. A common misconception on sand driving is you need traction, you don't, you need to float over the sand. I bet that old F150 was aired down. You can run at 12 without breaking the bead if you are slow and not trying hard turns.

Ford Bronco Why Base is best FrontPageHeadin
Interesting and agreed, I think the Australians and South Africans like to use skinny tire for most applications, it cuts through the sand better and slow wider turns, larger 35's and up are good for other situations such as mud

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife has a 2018 Lexus RX 350 F-Sport. It has everything you could possibly want - I mean it blows cold air up your butt In the middle of July! That should be illegal. It is a great car, but I don’t get any joy when I drive it. It is sterile and soulless. I need to feel that I am part of the driving experience. That is why I am going with the manual T. I will get the base if I decide not to get the MGV. even if I get the MGV I will not be getting any other packages because I’ve leaned that for me the luxuries and the little extras aren’t what make for an enjoyable driving experience.
for those that are planning on after market seats / covers - can you really get an after market MGV seat that is just as good as factory installed?
I'm thinking yes you can. The Ford leather seats suck! There are many who have had cracks and wrinkles with their Rangers in the first few months. You can get a much better product from Katzkins for around $1,300 depending on the grade and design you want. So if the MGV is anything like the leather I'd be leery and I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

Trust me I was all in for them so I was only looking at the BD &BL until I really thought about it. I think they'll still be ok but I doubt they're going to be anything that's super high quality seeing as the leather isn't. I just wish all the models had options for all 3 seats but I understand why they don't. It forces you into a higher model which in return Ford makes more profit.

Emcfetr1

Wildtrak
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Badlands 2 door with no options for $42k is one heck of a deal in my opinion. That way us manual folks get almost a Sasquatch and several cool upgrades for going badlands vs base mansquatch. I still can’t decide if I want to go black diamond manual and add front locker later or just pony up the $5k and go BL for the upgrade front end.
Side note to consider: look at base Jeep used prices vs used Rubicon prices and see how that few grand jump to BL vs base squach will most likely pay off if anyone ever needs to sell it for whatever reason. Base will retain value the least looking at historical values. Just something to consider if you think you may want to upgrade a few years down the line. If you want to keep it forever than it won’t matter
Rubicon hold their value ..... in the end sure maybe bc Jeep people are nuts but just like a lariat 60k f150 versus a 36k sxt sometimes it only seems they hold their value because they were $24k more to begin with

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's too early to really say how the Base Bronco will hold it's value, but I'm not going to put it past the general uninformed consumer/public to treat it like the Jeep Sport, value wise.

The Base Bronco offers more upfront than a Sport Jeep, but it's common for the average person and the Dealers to place more value on the higher trim models because more options equals better social status/social acceptance. (don't flame me on this, it is true for the most part, but doesn't apply to everyone who likes/wants higher optioned models/trims.)

There are too many factors to list, but it essentially comes down to $$/profit for Dealers and the perceived notion that more options equals better, for the average consumer.

The negative view Base models still get is still tied to the early years when Base meant just that and offered little to no option choices.

There is also the negative perception of Aftermarket stuff by the general public/consumer. Once someone who isn't knowledgeable of Aftermarket stuff (at least the reputable vendors and not the shoddy just-to-make-a-buck ones) hears of anything Aftermarket or sees Aftermarket stuff on a vehicle, their perceived value of said vehicle drops dramatically.

I'm experiencing this first hand with my current vehicle. It's not 'officially' up for sale yet, but word has gotten out that It'll be up for sale and potential interested parties that thought it was still stock have gone so far as to offer me half of it's book value, based solely on the fact it's been 'modified' with Aftermarket parts. ?
Sponsored