Sponsored

Why can't we get a better dressed engine compartment?

BassMaster

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wouldn’t know what my engine compartment looks like. It’s been sitting on Ice Mountain for over TWO DAMN MONTHS!!!!
Ok now I feel better. Thank you. Thank you very much.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AzGoat

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Bachelor’s in Engineering and a Masters in Archtecture, with experience in both, which is I think a pretty good form vs. function background. You are right that “how it works” and “how it looks” are not exclusive in the world of engineering. But I’ll take function when it comes to what’s under the hood any day. The exterior of the Bronco, I think we’d all agree, far outshines the Cherokee in aesthetics. As for the “how it works” engineering aspect, read below:

Consumer Reports reported a lot of bad things about the Cherokee. Overall, the Cherokee had a reliability rating of just 2 out of 5. The actual percentage score that Consumer Reports gave the Cherokee was even lower. The Cherokee’s reliability score was a mere 14%.

“This was the second-worst reliability score out of the 27 similar SUVs that Consumer Reports graded. The Cherokee’s reliability score was just 1% higher than the lowest reliability score, which went to the VW Tiguan.“

Good points. I work in software and my analogy is the perfectly functioning website that is usable, but horrifically ugly aesthetically. Some companies do great business with ugly sites and pull this off very well (craigslist.com), while most fail. My particular credit union I've banked with since my son worked there has been struggling to get members to use their mobile banking app, only to be told it's ugly by their customers. This made adoption of the banking app really low. Funny thing is, the people that design web pages and the people that design the underlying code for the associated services/apps are usually not one and the same. In a small credit union, they probably ARE the same people, and the devs that write the code are simply poor UI designers. Cars obviously have many more design constraints and considerations, but most mechanical engineers dont spend a lot of time in design class to make things pretty. This was brought up earlier, but a little collaboration might go a long way. JMHO

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT350, 22 Bronco BL, 29 Ford Roadster
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can not find the thread but someone confirmed this works on the 2.7 same as the F150 Engine Cover

OP
OP
AzGoat

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn’t know what my engine compartment looks like. It’s been sitting on Ice Mountain for over TWO DAMN MONTHS!!!!
Ok now I feel better. Thank you. Thank you very much.
LOL - OK now, everyone take a drink! (MINE TOO!) Now take two drinks

Sponsored

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Trophy Truck 7.0L LSX
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had a 2017 Raptor with the 3.5 twin tubro Ecoboost. The engine compartment was properly rigged and cleanly laid out . It did not have that "mess of spaghetti" Bronco engine compartment appearance. What the heck, Ford?

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you don’t work on your own vehicles, you probably wouldn't understand. In all seriousness, the hood is the engine cover. Keep it closed if you don't like how an engine looks. My mother brought her car over for me to look at and the very first thing I did was toss the cover in the trash bin. It serves no purpose other than redundancy.
It is a nuisance at best. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are there any engineering aspects that a cover could provide?

Knowing how dusty the Bronco environments can be, would a well-designed / purpose-built cover potentially prevent dust accumulation?

[ Edit: Or thermal and/or airflow opportunities? ]
[ Edit:Edit: these are the same… lol ]

{shrug.png}

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is cool:

Ford Bronco Why can't we get a better dressed engine compartment? 411A3190-0F17-479F-BB5B-17591EA9549F

As is this:

Ford Bronco Why can't we get a better dressed engine compartment? 658BF33F-51FB-4E39-BC4E-6D65A1C3B470

This isn’t cool

Ford Bronco Why can't we get a better dressed engine compartment? 8CB66C75-5B73-4461-AA7E-7F6CBB5A1F96

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How often y'all just looking at your engine? It's not like it's an LS swap or anything. I plan to mostly keep the hood closed.

Sponsored

Enginerd39

Badlands
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Threads like this are why Bronco6G gets a bad rap for being so negative. If you wish it was like a Grand Cherokee, buy a Grand Cherokee.

OP
OP
AzGoat

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Threads like this are why Bronco6G gets a bad rap for being so negative. If you wish it was like a Grand Cherokee, buy a Grand Cherokee.
Didn't mean to bash and be negative. Never even said I wanted a GC or even liked Jeeps in general. Just had an observation after reading a brand new review of the new Jeep. Kinda like having a conversation in a safe environment, (or what could be a safe environment, if we let it). I dont know, but *maybe* Ford will see that there is a way to clean up what many have expressed concern about, without throwing a giant piece of molded plastic over the engine. I enjoy this forum and love the strong opinions we all have. Just thought we could talk about things like adults most of us are. BTW, I won't even bring up mudflaps. Ha!

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My favorite engine bay.............

Ford Bronco Why can't we get a better dressed engine compartment? 1647565824621

OP
OP
AzGoat

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My favorite engine bay.............

Ford Bronco Why can't we get a better dressed engine compartment? 1647565824621
THAT brings back memories! Haven't done a valve adjustment in years... or replaced valve cover gaskets, or cleaned out an idle jet, or a hundred other little things we did to our 'dubs to keep em purring. I do miss those days sometimes.
Sponsored