Sponsored

Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending!

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For you wrench geeks I'd love to see a wheeling trip then an inspection on how they held up. Probably asking too much lol
I don’t care enough to do it for free.
Maybe someone else may
Sponsored

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the 3.0 tie rods the 44 mm is needed for tie rod to rack. I am not sure about the 2.0 tie rod size, because I have not yet pulled my boots off to measure (RC kits are several weeks out). I figured non-issue to get my old 2.0s off without worrying about the torque and then new ones will need the correct value. Perhaps someone who has pulled their 2.0 tie rods to install 3.0 or Icon can chime in with 2.0 size?
My icons just arrived. They are 42mm
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1423

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish all the OEM and aftermarket folks would have a huddle and make something that's a standardized size...

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish all the OEM and aftermarket folks would have a huddle and make something that's a standardized size...
Lol but then the complaints would roll in for needing individually tailored parts for custom one offs.

BroncoAg

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
CJ's came through and I have my bushings. Seeing them in person even $50 might be a bit overpriced.

I second this.

Another naive question that BB mentioned and I wasn't sure on - is the black protective spacer inside the rack body that he recommends breaking to remove already shaped like the bushing he / RC sells? Is the bushing for sale just a solid version of what's already in there just more supportive and tighter ID?

Sponsored
OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I second this.

Another naive question that BB mentioned and I wasn't sure on - is the black protective spacer inside the rack body that he recommends breaking to remove already shaped like the bushing he / RC sells? Is the bushing for sale just a solid version of what's already in there just more supportive and tighter ID?
Similar in od, but length is different and it does go into the housing to support the rod

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As many of us swap our OEM pieces for the RC upgrades make sure to keep this in mind (the torque and not allowing the rack shaft to rotate):

Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1423
Where did you get this shop manual? So useful

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We can all thank @flip ...he has super manual access! He kindly provided the entire install and removal section... I just posted that particular section because I think it's going to pertain to all of us who are frantically swapping out to RC bushings.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We can all thank @flip ...he has super manual access! He kindly provided the entire install and removal section... I just posted that particular section because I think it's going to pertain to all of us who are frantically swapping out to RC bushings.
Flip also indicated that the clamp that goes around the housing end of the boot is an oiteker 69.5mm (7mm wide). The other end on a stock tie rod has to expand to 19 mm. I swapped to the 3.0 tie rods, so I need to retain the boot and stretch it over the 2 mm larger diameter 3.0 tie rod...and then hopefully my OEM clamp will cover that additional distance. Unfortunately, the only 69.5 clamps I could find are sold only in bulk, and I'm not going to jury rig it with a zip tie or a screw clamp. I ended up buying the adjustable clamps that come with a tool from Amazon that are made out of stainless:

FSBNJKS CV Joint Axle Boot Clamp Pliers Tool with 20 Crimp Bands Replace For Auto/ATV https://a.co/d/aRv4inB

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://belmetric.com/7mm-band-stepless-ear-clamp-oetiker-167-stainless-00-chpe-band7/?sku=CV71BAND7
i gently pried my old ones off, then re-installed them,but im getting new ones and putting them on.
Flip also indicated that the clamp that goes around the housing end of the boot is an oiteker 69.5mm (7mm wide). The other end on a stock tie rod has to expand to 19 mm. I swapped to the 3.0 tie rods, so I need to retain the boot and stretch it over the 2 mm larger diameter 3.0 tie rod...and then hopefully my OEM clamp will cover that additional distance. Unfortunately, the only 69.5 clamps I could find are sold only in bulk, and I'm not going to jury rig it with a zip tie or a screw clamp. I ended up buying the adjustable clamps that come with a tool from Amazon that are made out of stainless:

FSBNJKS CV Joint Axle Boot Clamp Pliers Tool with 20 Crimp Bands Replace For Auto/ATV https://a.co/d/aRv4inB

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://belmetric.com/7mm-band-stepless-ear-clamp-oetiker-167-stainless-00-chpe-band7/?sku=CV71BAND7
i gently pried my old ones off, then re-installed them,but im getting new ones and putting them on.
I went to that site yesterday...the size it's missing is 69.5. The oetiker clamps are extraordinarily sensitive to specific diameters...if you size up even when you crush the assembly as tight as you can get it it'll still be loose and if you go a size down I don't think you'll be able to get it over the assembly.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ordered some 3/8” band width hose clamps from Belmetric.. should fit perfeclty
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! 12D385A7-5E0F-405A-B389-E622D2FB1ABC

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to that site yesterday...the size it's missing is 69.5. The oetiker clamps are extraordinarily sensitive to specific diameters...if you size up even when you crush the assembly as tight as you can get it it'll still be loose and if you go a size down I don't think you'll be able to get it over the assembly.
But they clamp in a range

when you squeeze the end it has to be a range

At least that’s how I understand it even from their own description it states range

I ordered a few
I’ll follow up
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1100

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But they clamp in a range

when you squeeze the end it has to be a range

At least that’s how I understand it even from their own description it states range

I ordered a few
I’ll follow up
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1100
Can you use a regular PEX crimping tool for these? Seems like it.

Those of us with the TD kit have the clamp tool in our roll as well!

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you use a regular PEX crimping tool for these? Seems like it.

Those of us with the TD kit have the clamp tool in our roll as well!
I assume so
I used my pex tool on some Amazon cv boot clamps and I used the same pex tool re clamping the factory ones after I put the bushings in
Sponsored