Sponsored

Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending!

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I get 2 for $50 dollars or 1 for $350.. I was really trying to understand why they say you only need the drivers side..Now it makes sense, they want me to buy something more expensive for the passenger side… Thanks my friend.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dang. I literally just ordered other hardware from McMaster a few hours ago…would have saved on shipping. Love how quick they turn things around.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The snap ring doesn't actually sit in a proper machined channel, does it? It feels like only a slight hump...did yours look like this when snap ring was installed?

1683259746853484374343905979678.jpg

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow! McMaster rocks. They allowed me to add a package of rings before it shipped out. It didn’t affect shipping at $8.99 including the other hardware.

I think they’re my new favorite company. Next day high quality hardware with responses at 10pm?!

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The snap ring doesn't actually sit in a proper machined channel, does it? It feels like only a slight hump...did yours look like this when snap ring was installed?

Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! 1683259746853484374343905979678
The snap ring seated completely on both sides
But there isn’t a groove per se
The bushing makes up one side the housing the other

Sponsored

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! 1683259746853484374343905979678
No that’s not right… it should snap in further than that. You could try tapping on the bushing with a fat socket to make sure it’s 100% seated first.. after that I had no issue getting a “snap” and it seating in place

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow! McMaster rocks. They allowed me to add a package of rings before it shipped out. It didn’t affect shipping at $8.99 including the other hardware.

I think they’re my new favorite company. Next day high quality hardware with responses at 10pm?!
Yeah between them, Fastenal, and Grainger I think you can pretty much find anything you would ever need.
McMaster has come through in a pinch for me more than once.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1683259746853484374343905979678.jpg
Looks good to me if you looked at the snap ring they aren’t the same thickness all the way around that’s exactly how mine looked after installing it.
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1068

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is a groove...that is where the original plastic keepers snap into place.

I used my right angled pick (the same one I used to pull the old bushing out) to feel the groove before putting in the snap ring.

If I didn't feel that groove, I kept seating that bushing until I did.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is a groove...that is where the original plastic keepers snap into place.

I used my right angled pick (the same one I used to pull the old bushing out) to feel the groove before putting in the snap ring.

If I didn't feel that groove, I kept seating that bushing until I did.
This… there’s definitely a groove that the ring snaps into. You’ll hear and feel it when it’s right.. if you didn’t hear and feel the snap you didn’t go in far enough and need to tap the bushing into place a little more

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This… there’s definitely a groove that the ring snaps into. You’ll hear and feel it when it’s right.. if you didn’t hear and feel the snap you didn’t go in far enough and need to tap the bushing into place a little more
No definite channel in mine but yes a definite slight difference in internal diameter...what appears to be hash marks around the internal circumference from machining on a slightly smaller diameter rise/ridge and then a larger diameter just after that. I am an used to a 90° channel with snap rings...and I think Ford just added a slight rise to keep that original black spacer in place (the three expanding tabs). The white spacer is not a tight fit, and it can't possibly go in any farther...as-is, I was able to push it in without having to use any tools and I could feel it bottom. I should have taken a pic before I installed it...but if anyone else is about to install theirs a pic for the good of the group would be cool to have. There never was a provision specifically for a snap ring...I think the aftermarket bushing folks just realized one could be added using that slight difference in circumference and a specific height spacer to make it a snug fit.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah between them, Fastenal, and Grainger I think you can pretty much find anything you would ever need.
McMaster has come through in a pinch for me more than once.
They are awesome I've even called long after I placed an order before it shipped and they've canceled it for me or changed it for me with no hassle.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good to me if you looked at the snap ring they aren’t the same thickness all the way around that’s exactly how mine looked after installing it.
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_1068
And here is a pic from the RC instructions that appears to be similar to my results...

Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! Screenshot_20230505_064602_Acrobat for Samsun

Willhunt4food

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Firebird; 1981 CJ7; 1990 K5; 2007 Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

About 10 years ago I needed a $3.68 o-ring. I live about an hour away from one of their locations and about 30 miles from the city. Later that day, someone showed up at more doorstep with the o-ring. I was charged $4.80 to get it delivered 😊
Sponsored