Sponsored

What's Bronco missing that "high tech / lux SUVs" have?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with you, but...

Ford came out early and said "we are going with IFS because people dont like the wrangler ride".

given how many buy 4 dr saharas, and how few wranglers actually see mud, I wonder how much of it is dana axles, and how much is removable tops and doors...

Is that all some want? an open top GLE?

maybe...
I think that’s part of it...but people want the image of tough off roader, but don’t want to pay the price for it. That’s why all the complaints as they dig into what they will miss out on if they decide to go with this category. This is the first time many have looked into this category seriously, and expected they were just getting a tough looking Explorer but all off the fancy pants stuff would be intact. They are not getting that, as that’s a completely different category, and as they realize it they are screaming to high heaven. They don’t base their frame of reference on the other vehicle in category, they base it on fixed top unibody luxury family vehicles.

So a “GLE without a top” would get them their comforts....but doesn’t complete their fantasy image of off roader that they sought initially...They’re in a bind...and they don’t really want what they thought they did.
Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree with you, but...

Ford came out early and said "we are going with IFS because people dont like the wrangler ride".

given how many buy 4 dr saharas, and how few wranglers actually see mud, I wonder how much of it is dana axles, and how much is removable tops and doors...

Is that all some want? an open top GLE?

maybe...
In SWFL, where I live, damned near all wranglers I see have tops and doors off. About 75% of those have thick mud splatter on them. I have no real clue where they go off roading at, but the SE's largest off road park is only 1 town over from me.

https://www.sandlotoffroad.com/

As for me, I'm not taking a 50K vehicle off road, but with the hurricanes down here, fallen trees, debris in the road, etc is a very common occurrence here and I want a vehicle that can navigate that without any issue.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I tend to look at this the other way around.

As a basequatch buyer, what other suv can I get for around $40k with all of the following:
35 inch tires
axles geared for them
front and rear lockers
a removable hardtop and doors
turbocharged engine (forced induction is almost necessary in the Rockies imho, the difference between the 2.7 in my f-150 and the 5.8 in my first bronco is staggering)
2 doors (I still think 2 door anything is almost always cooler)
good enough for me towing capacity
wireless android auto/apple car play
all the connection features of Ford pass,
led headlights
ease of customization
& enough cargo and seating space to go camping for a weekend with 3 friends

For me, with the above features taking priority, there isn’t really a good competitor to the Bronco, even the 2 door wrangler falls a bit short, and by the time I option it to have the same features I care about I’d be spending more than for a Bronco.

Just my 2 cents though

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just read this to see what people’s gripes are. I don’t have any. I’m buying the bronco because I like it and it’s purpose built the way I want it. Sounds like most the people on this thread belong in a different vehicle.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
only things I am missing are cooled/vented seats, and I would really have liked a chance to equip the hands free driving that the mach-e and F150 are getting.

there are other things its lacking of course, the leather is lower tier than youd find in a land rover. Hard plastics dominate the cabin. The upgraded audio would probably be entry level in a luxury car.

I could wish for a Lincoln Bronco. I think it could be absolutely amazing. But the unpleasant truth is that a Lincoln Bronco with all the things Im asking for would probably push the price up into the 90's, and Id be out of spit.
Good Lord, the thing is a Ford B-r-o-n-c-o; a resurrection of a fabled nameplate that was an everyman's off-road SUV for hunting, fishing and camping, not an auto nameplate for status snooting. There are plenty of luxo-SUV's to choose from in that market segment. Looking in the wrong place... No offense meant.

The Lincoln Mark LT was a sales failure; the the Lincoln Mark NB would be the same.

Last edited:

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why should Ford offer the same options as a similarly priced vehicle when thousands of people are PAYING to make a reservation on a vehicle they haven't even seen in person yet? The marketing BS might have worked and makes Ford many millions of extra dollars.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why should Ford offer the same options as a similarly priced vehicle when thousands of people are PAYING to make a reservation on a vehicle they haven't even seen in person yet? The marketing BS might have worked and makes Ford many millions of extra dollars.
Not sure what you mean by millions of extra dollars. The $100 reservation can be either applied towards the down payment, or refunded upon completion of the order process. Yes, Ford probably does benefit from the cash in the bank, but accounting-wise each $100 is not an (financial) asset to the corporation since its not really capitalizing the Bronco program and must be refunded upon request.

350DGRZ

First Edition
First Name
Nilo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There are a lot of comparisons to other vehicles that offer features at a lower price point. One way people could send a message to Ford is not buy the Bronco. As far as I know with the F-150 is they profit $10K + on each truck regardless of what they sell it at. As far as the Bronco, in my opinion it is overpriced. It should not top $50K for a fully “lux” model.

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing if I wanted a luxury vehicle I’d be shopping for that...

What luxury SUV do you get 35’s, wash out interior, and a removable top? I may be interested.

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The millions of dollars Ford saves by not providing the same options as a similarly priced vehicle.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the $100 went to the dealer. Ford has zero benefit from those funds AFAIK.
Per the reservation info on the Ford Bronco website:

"Can I cancel my reservation?

Yes. You can cancel your reservation at any time and receive a full refund.* You can do this in your account at ford.com. If for some reason you can’t process the cancellation online, you can contact a Ford Customer Experience Representative at 800-392-3673 (Ford U.S.). After canceling, allow seven to 10 business days for the reservation deposit to be credited to your original form of payment. Once you progress from a reservation to an order with a dealer, however, cancellation requests would be at that dealer’s discretion."

Once you place an order, it looks like the $100 will move to the dealer as a down payment, unless you ask for the $100 back, but I'm sure the dealer needs some sort of deposit/down payment for securing the order.

"What happens to the reservation deposit once I order?

See your dealer for details. The reservation deposit should be credited or refunded based on customer preference."

OP
OP
pony2bronco

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I like how I make a thread about the Bronco actually having a lot of luxuries and not missing much and there are pretty much only 2 replies spread over 6 pages:

1) Power/cooled seats would be nice
vs
2) OMG HOW DARE YOU! THIS IS MADE FOR OFF ROAD, LET ME CRANK MY DAMN WINDOWS DOWN AND STEP ON THE FLOOR TURN SIGNALS/WIPERS! GO BUY A LINCOLN!

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For folks requesting power folding mirrors: Mirrors can’t fold inward. It will interfere with opening the door. Only option for power folding mirrors would be to have them rotate towards the front of the vehicle. That would be a first.
I was the first person in this thread to bring up power folding mirrors. To be clear, I was not requesting them. I was just answering the OP: identifying lux features are on other luxury vehicles that aren't available on the Bronco.

I have them now on my MKZ. I rarely use them.

Last edited:

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like how I make a thread about the Bronco actually having a lot of luxuries and not missing much and there are pretty much only 2 replies spread over 6 pages:

1) Power/cooled seats would be nice
vs
2) OMG HOW DARE YOU! THIS IS MADE FOR OFF ROAD, LET ME CRANK MY DAMN WINDOWS DOWN AND STEP ON THE FLOOR TURN SIGNALS/WIPERS! GO BUY A LINCOLN!
That's how it's been around here lately lol. You have to be very careful when you start a thread and how you word your question because people project their own frustrations in their replies; often times not actually answering the thread's question at all

Case in point
Sponsored