Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure how fast it will appear to be with the 10 speed but with the 7 speed manual in a stock 4 door badlands it was definitely under powered.
What RPMs were your shift points?
Sponsored

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not sure how fast it will appear to be with the 10 speed but with the 7 speed manual in a stock 4 door badlands it was definitely under powered.
Having driven a Ranger for a couple years, the 10spd is far superior to the Manual. The 2.3 will be fine with the 10 spd.

There's something to be said for Manual + Turbos. You lose your boost pressure the second your clutch is depressed, resulting in that significant lag. The 2.3 is fine when you're under load on the manual, it's just when you shift. The 10 speed is geared better too (by virtue of having 4 additional gears).

FWIW, The manual is fantastic off-road if you like the challenge. Crawler gear requires zero throttle input on level ground in 4L.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Question, when you say this, what are you comparing it to?

My assumption is that the purpose of the vehicle (high torque and lower 0-20 speed) is purposeful because it is an off-road vehicle. I don't know if my assumptions are correct though.

thanks!

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This makes sense to me. I think Ford had the right idea to pair the 7 speed with the 2.3 and the auto with the 2.7. Upping the resistances and tire size with Sasquatch package, and sticking with 2.3 seems like a bad idea (sorry man-squatchers)
I always wanted the manual, and therefore will get the 2.3. Someday…. I went back and forth a lot on BD vs BL. In the end I think a 2 dr BL with a 2.3 and stick, and 33’s, is a great wheeling setup for the logging roads and rocky trails here in NE.

Sponsored

Bronco88

Black Diamond
First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Question, when you say this, what are you comparing it to?

My assumption is that the purpose of the vehicle (high torque and lower 0-20 speed) is purposeful because it is an off-road vehicle. I don't know if my assumptions are correct though.

thanks!
Not comparing to to anything specifically, not bashing it but having come from all muscle cars it feels lacking lol. I was shifting at 3k rpms, short drive around the block so didn't have it for too long. Maybe a 2 door would suit it better, I don't know. I'm confident the 2.7 will be enough in stock form (done tuning and modifying vehicles for speed).

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah but you own a Challenger.... Like what ISN'T faster then that? 🤷‍♂️

Of course you thought it was fun :ROFLMAO:

Dammit, thought I replied to @Bronco4lyfe85, now I gotta tag you 🤬

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Seems plausible given the parasitic losses along the way.

OP needs to remove (at the engine). It was a chassis dyno, those numbers are at the tires and align with the losses of the drivetrain. Hub dyno would show slightly higher without the rotating mass of the tires/wheels.
Based on what I saw, it looks like it's probably power at the wheels, and if corrected, likely only for altitude and temperature would be my guess. If so, well done.

If they were corrected for driveline losses, they might be at the engine, depends on how the dyno was setup. My Mustang back in the day could calculate driveline loss to some extent and give you estimated crankshaft numbers.

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was shifting at 3k rpms
What was the RPM drop on the shifts? It looks like this engine falls on it's face anything under 3000-3500 rpm. Seems like you'd want to shift around 4k for spirited driving.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

LMR gets ahold of a 2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch Package in Carbonized Gray. What better than to test it out on the dyno and see what it makes?!

This particular vehicle comes equipped with the 2.3L Turbocharged 4cyl Ecoboost Engine that is rated at 270 HP & 310 lb-ft of torque. This Bronco has a 10-speed 10R80 Transmission & the pull will be made in 7th gear which is the 1:1 ratio. With this Sasquatch Package, you get 4.70 Rear Gears with 35" tires & 93 Octane Fuel will be in the tank for the dyno.

Dyno Results:
225.37 HP @ 4800 RPM
303.92 LB-FT @ 3400 RPM
(measured at engine)

Exactly. 10R80 or 10R60?

Bronco88

Black Diamond
First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What was the RPM drop on the shifts? It looks like this engine falls on it's face anything under 3000-3500 rpm. Seems like you'd want to shift around 4k for spirited driving.
Fair enough, didn't have a long time with it and was in a very busy area so kept the drive short. I think if I was getting a 2 door I would be more inclined to get the manual combo.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And more torque than a 1996 Cobra! It's crazy how over 300hp is the norm for regular vehicles...!
They've gained a lot of weight too that offsets some of the power.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And more torque than a 1996 Cobra! It's crazy how over 300hp is the norm for regular vehicles...!
I had one of those. It wasn’t too fast from a start but above 70 mph it came alive.
Sponsored