Sponsored

⁉️Swapping from Hardtop to BesTop TrekTop and back?

BroncoOvrlndr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We just got our new Bestop Trektop and swapped over from the MIC hardtop for the Spring and Summer. Taking her to Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning, and looking forward to cruising with the top back this weekend!

Ford Bronco ⁉️Swapping from Hardtop to BesTop TrekTop and back? 2C8FC3F9-3181-46F3-8B7F-63D621481DE6

Ford Bronco ⁉️Swapping from Hardtop to BesTop TrekTop and back? 1BE27542-BD78-44D0-9B0C-092BA9F2CE1E

This wasn’t very difficult, but was very time consuming by myself. I did stop and watch the install video for every single section to make sure I was doing right. It took me about 4.5 hours to completely install. After this initial install I’m estimating it will take about an hour to swap back to the MIC when it gets cold late Fall.
Sponsored

Limecreek

Badlands
First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R1100RS, BMW R1200RS, Honda CRV, Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Trek Top on the way to replace the Ford soft top. To me it’s just a smarter design vs the Ford. Plus it looks better to my eye.

A hard top purchase will be next if Ford decides to build and sell the mod top.

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the reply and good information. I ordered this top for my 2D and plan to run safari style most of time during the summer. I would like to have the panels on board in case of pop up showers.
@Bestop_Team do you plan on making a window storage bag specifically for the Bronco? I only see one for the previous generation Wrangler on your site. Or, will that one work possibly?

Liberty

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I went with BJD rather than the less expensive Amazon option. Liked the idea of backing an American made company. I had a few emails with them for assurance that the bag would work with the 2 door Trektop side windows and for rough dimensions, so it was nice to get quick answers whereas you might not get that from Amazon supplier. And I saw some negative reviews about broken or poorly functioning items on the overseas made Amazon bags.
@Bestop_Team do you plan on making a window storage bag specifically for the Bronco? I only see one for the previous generation Wrangler on your site. Or, will that one work possibly?
@Cable Guy, I went with the BJD bag for the Bronco soft top recommended by @stuckinohio. Still it would be nice if Bestop offered one.

TLehrman

First Edition
First Name
Tami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have the trektop and love it - had to put the hardtop back on to have ford dealer swap for version 2 hardtop it was easy - since then reinstalled the trektop no issues .
So could you leave it all basically assembled when you removed it?

Sponsored

jasonf

First Edition
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So could you leave it all basically assembled when you removed it?
The top comes off as one piece yet have to remove all the brackets on frame for oem to be put back on took me around 30min to swap back to oem hardtop

OP
OP
NYCBD

NYCBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subway
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The top comes off as one piece yet have to remove all the brackets on frame for oem to be put back on took me around 30min to swap back to oem hardtop
Thanks @jasonf…and can you keep the hard top (excluding the brackets that were on the frame) all assembled when you store them? Then just attach the brackets and spread the top with the bars over and screw it all in? I just want to know how much can be kept together or if the whole thing needs to be disassembled to reinstall.

Also curious if anyone put vinyl or rubber padding under the brackets on the top of the roll cage? It was provided for where the brackets attach along the belt line but not for under the brackets on top of the roll cage. Any input here @Bestop_Team??? I don’t really want to scratch that paint either.

-Thanks

TLehrman

First Edition
First Name
Tami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well that’s not too bad considering how long it took to assemble. So to clarify did you lift the brackets off with the top also attached to them? Or separate the top from the brackets and then remove the brackets?

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Put me in the group who desperately wants a summer soft top but am just not sold on the Bestop. I'm hoping for more options!

Sponsored

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Put me in the group who desperately wants a summer soft top but am just not sold on the Bestop. I'm hoping for more options!
This may sound pessimistic, but I don't think there will be any other options except what is offered from Bestop (particularly for the 2 door) and what is in the works from Mytop. Bestop may offer a version that lays all the way back for the two door at some point, but I'm sure it's a long way off, if it is even being considered.

Mytop is allegedly working on a 2 door option, but the price for the 4 door is $4,500 and I wouldn't expect the 2 door version to be much cheaper. $4,500 is just TOO much money when you can get the Trektop for $1,500 and it works well IMHO.

https://mytop.us/products/mytop-convertible-bronco-top

Though, I hope I am wrong for your sake!

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This may sound pessimistic, but I don't think there will be any other options except what is offered from Bestop (particularly for the 2 door) and what is in the works from Mytop. Bestop may offer a version that lays all the way back for the two door at some point, but I'm sure it's a long way off, if it is even being considered.

Mytop is allegedly working on a 2 door option, but the price for the 4 door is $4,500 and I wouldn't expect the 2 door version to be much cheaper. $4,500 is just TOO much money when you can get the Trektop for $1,500 and it works well IMHO.

https://mytop.us/products/mytop-convertible-bronco-top

Though, I hope I am wrong for your sake!
I certainly agree with your assessment of the mytop. Just about the last feature I'm concerned with is it being powered and $4,500?!

Last edited:

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m not gunna lie I’m pretty disappointed in the soft top options thus far. You gotta add about 40 pieces that all seem like they need removed if you go back to hardtop. My Jk was so easy. Door surrounds with my quick connect bow knuckles I could throw my soft top on and off in no time. Not to mention nothing I’ve seen folds all the way back into the cargo area.
I’m still holding out hope either ford or someone else will come up with a nice soft top option for my two door.
I'm with you. I'm hoping bestop comes up with a soft top option like they have for the the JK or JL. I'm not impressed with how the trektop sits when you have it completely open.

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless I'm mistaken (happens often!), Bestop doesn't offer a soft top for the JL Wrangler 2 door that folds all the way down to the rear, like the 4 door models are capable of. I presume that's due to a lack of space in the rear on 2 doors vehicles.

So I'm afraid it's not possible. And after having a soft top on a 4 door JL which folds all the way down and back, I don't miss it blocking my view in the rear view mirror! So I'm OK with it sitting on top.

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm just wanting one that folds down behind the spare tire. It doesn't have to disappear into the cargo area, but at least go flat and lay on the cargo sidewalls. Come to think of it, that's exactly what my soft-top for my Jeep Wrangler did.
Sponsored

Last edited: