First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. It is likely MUCH cheaper for Ford in the long run to have the updated roofs on the units before they get shipped out to dealers.
Sponsored

EA First Edition

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D First Edition/4D Sas OBX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I hate it when people say this because it's total BS. Yes they have been making cars for 100 years, but what it takes to build a car today is not the same as a car 100 years ago. What it takes to build a car now is not what it took to build a car 10 years ago.

Manufacturers are forced with every new model to push the envelope further and further. If they don't, they go under. Look what happened to Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, and Mercury. All marquee brands in their heydays. Each stopped innovating and started pumping out the same tired designs year after year. Now they've gone the way of the Dodo. Same thing is happening right now with Dodge/Chrysler.

Everyone complains when a new Apple product launch doesn't go well, but they still line up to buy an iPhone because they push the envelope. When was the last time you bought a Gateway Computer?
Honestly man you’re the one that sounds like everyone gets a participation trophy not us who just want the truck over a mostly cosmetic issue. Ford has been testing these things endlessly and you can’t convince me that all of the sudden they’re just noticing the hard tops suck? The test mules probably spent a year in the sun already and none of them had this problem? This is a joke of a launch for one of their biggest products that they are completely sh*****ng the bed on. And their consolation prize is some bronco swag? Gee thanks

Steelbama

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma/2015 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all. We hear you and are working hard on getting you out in the wild in your Bronco as quickly as possible. Depending on your build, we are actively starting to communicate where we are and what we’re doing to make it right. In the meantime, please check out our latest FAQs here: https://ford.to/broncosupport
I don't believe the new V2 MICs will be ready in your timeframe. Hope I am wrong. Need more hard information and less fluff.

AMBDBronco

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This update is a big "F you" to two door orders. Pretty soon we're going to see loads of four door soft top broncos on the road that look pretty much like every other new vehicle these days. Bleh...
And we'll be thankful that we held out for the much better looking two door.

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Any info on the black painted modular hardtop? I had it on my original order and figured I would be getting a 22, which, I thought wouldn't make it an issue. But there is no real reference to the top as far as when it will actually be available. It seems like a lot of us will have time to sort all of this out anyway. I know some will be furious at this update but for me, I can wait I would rather wait and get exactly what I want. Plus Ford will hopefully have figured out all of the various quality issues by then.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are assuming that Ford's optimistic statement is correct. For those of us with unbuilt VINs we aren't getting built until ~6000 FEs get built and over 2000 bad batch builds get fixed. I don't think it's realistic that we will get these in MY22. Everyone else that consciously chose MY22 or doesn't have a build date yet gets to take advantage of MY22 changes, or can change their orders as they want.
What?

You have a VIN because they had or anticipated having the parts… the fact your build (completion) date keeps getting pushed is because there’s some problem… likely this top problem.

You bronco is probably sitting there done except for one last thing.

You can’t change your order because your bronco is ostensibly done. I’m not talking about Ford keeping to their word, or making an argument about MY22 options…

…just that if you have a VIN, and the build completion date keeps getting pushed, that most likely means your bronco is sitting there waiting for the last component. That’s something to be excited about, especially based on this news that you’re going to get an improved top.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
No problems from me I am willing and able to wait. Hopefully they add software upgrades to the touch screen and the stop and go option.
Glad to be a 99!
I'm willing to wait as well, because I don't really have a use for a Bronco now, and I'm planning to live forever so time has no value. ;)

TigerBronco

First Edition
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 F/X 4, 2019 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 BMY M923A2 M
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So @PREMiERdrum, what do you think happens in this scenario:

All the FEs produced last week and this (mine has a blend date of today) fall outside the 21 July end date we saw on the Ford note. Does that mean those units were/are being built with some improved MIC now?

Thanks.

gettk

Big Bend
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C300
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Updated by Administrator with full FAQ and Customer Satisfaction Program info.

Full Order Holder FAQ:

Order-Holder-FAQ-1.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-2.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-3.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-4.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-5.jpg

Awareness Communication - Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Program 21B49
(Certain 2021 Model Year Bronco Equipped with a Hard Top Roof Roof Panel Delamination)

CSP-21B49-awareness-communication.jpg

Some extra info from @PREMiERdrum

All new tooling and an altered design. It became quite clear that even when manufactured exactly to spec that the design was flawed.

The timeline here is optimistic, but the right move nonetheless.

No. MIC hardtop production for unscheduled First Edition builds will resume late this year with the updated hardtop design. I wouldn't expect this until probably November, as the new tooling still needs to be completed, installed, and tested before production of the new hard tops can begin. Once that happens, they have committed to building new MIC hardtops for all units that have already been delivered, then the "bad batch" Broncos trapped at MAP, THEN for production of new units.

Hey, you have every right to be a dick. This has been a mess.

The design issue is the unfinished edges. Initially, these were to be treated and sealed but it was never successful. The "coating" applied at the plant lasted for about a week, if that. The other issues plaguing the MIC top - thickness of outer ply, uniformity of material thickness, and forming issues within the clamshell - were perhaps made more challenging by the tooling but not necessarily impossible. This new design and tooling should aid in ALL these factors.

As for the 8/2 "full speed" production, that was the plan. Heels were firmly dug in on the engineering of the top and all fingers were pointed towards Plymouth. There was hope that the "best" of the roof units being delivered to MAP could at least be used to complete FE and stranded builds, but as more and more units were evaluated, it became clear that it was a bigger liability to release more of these out into the wild than to just scrap the thing and start over.

Like I said last night, this move HURTS... especially the "bad batch" crew of 2,200+ builds stuck at MAP, but it's absolutely the best way to address it at this juncture. A LOT of these headaches could have been alleviated by pulling the plug when the first issues became apparent, but that's not where we are.

- A few hundred.

- Yes.

The design will look very much the same (and be the same color, to those of you asking). Main points to address in the update:

- Rolled /finished edges where there were formerly raw cuts.
- Thicker, more uniform outer layer of material.
- Improved injection process to fix forming issues in the clamshell.

Also, I've seen several people asking why they can't just get their truck now with a bad roof and replace it later. Two huge problems will prevent that from happening:
- Ford doesn't want any more "bad" units running around beyond the few hundred already out there.
- They want no part of shipping any more of these things than they already have to. Freight is going be enormous on them and there is a substantial risk of damage while shipping. I doubt they have a packaging and logistics plan for them but I can imagine it's going to be incredibly costly.

Note:

Lots of people are assuming this means a new supplier, but I don't have any confirmation of that. Update from @Nickp , the following is correct: From what I can tell, this new tooling for the MIC hardtops is being designed and paid for by Ford and will be installed at the Plymouth plant for Webasto to produce.

The MOD tops coming in 23 are from a new supplier that has yet to be publicly identified.

Further info from @Nickp: My contact at Ford reached out, and basically summed it up that they need to make sure that these things are ready for the adventures that we are going to put them through. The current hard top and the quality offered just don't reach that standard, so they are just putting the kibosh on any more going into circulation before they fix the root of the problem. As outlined above, the fewer hard tops they have to ship around the country the better. When the new tops are being built, they are going to FiFo the current sitting orders. Basically, the ones that were built first will be the first to get tops and get sent on out to their final destination. Once the ones that are currently built are sent on their way, the goal will be to get people with a hard top Bronco in their possession already the new top, along with finishing up the first editions. It's not ideal, but this is "THE" solution that will be the only thing to fully fix things.
The cash flow benefits as well as good will to provide a soft top solution while they re-run the hardtops would appear to make sense. Why can Ford not successfully launch a new product?

Sponsored

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I missed this, but are these new MIC tops going to be made by Webasto or another manufacturer?

txozpilot

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda (Worlds best family van) Odyssey ;)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think the cost of replacing a known bad top - including dealer labor and freight shipping - adds too much for Ford to consider it. They'd rather deliver a better final product to the consumer and not have to deal with a warranty claim after.
I get it.. But at this point there is a lot of customers who made plans to have a new vehicle by now.. Myself included, and I’d take a faulty top just so I had wheels.. As far as their costs, they should’ve designed a better top and not released it when they did. They led people to believe that they would have vehicles by now. We’re the ones left paying money for UBER’s and rental vehicles while they faf around figuring out how they actually produce a vehicle they said would already be on the road. And if I don’t get my MY21 vehicle before they start producing MY22 Bronco’s is it really still a 2021 vehicle? @Ford Motor Company

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So @PREMiERdrum, what do you think happens in this scenario:

All the FEs produced last week and this (mine has a blend date of today) fall outside the 21 July end date we saw on the Ford note. Does that mean those units were/are being built with some improved MIC now?

Thanks.
Homie. It clearly addressed this in the FAQ that was posted.

LIKEABOSS

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi all. We hear you and are working hard on getting you out in the wild in your Bronco as quickly as possible. Depending on your build, we are actively starting to communicate where we are and what we’re doing to make it right. In the meantime, please check out our latest FAQs here: https://ford.to/broncosupport
Ship the MIC top Broncos already built. If it's truly just a cosmetic issues then it can be handled at the dealer like the MIC Broncos already in the wild. If not it's either because your too cheap to absorb the costs for the incompetence that's lead up to this point or don't trust your dealer network's ability to handle repairs in mass.

Afro

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my thing. I ordered a BB that is sitting there with what possibly is a water leak. Guess what @Ford Motor Company , that model has carpet and cloth upholstery... WTF!
The issue is aesthetic not performance, you'll be fine
Sponsored