First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't want to dox myself, but I am very involved in the military and electric vehicles.

There are a few prototype vehicles working on hybrid solutions currently. There are zero vehicles like you're talking about in use. They're working on MAYBE having a HMMWV/JLTV hybrid in the next five years.

The idea that a vehicle is powered by water is insane. Hydrogen is a fuel source but no military vehicles are using it and it's less efficient than gas or electricity. Cooking oil ...you think the military is set up to ship cooking oil across the globe when they could just use f24?
I wasn’t suggesting the military should use cooking oil or any other source of energy other than oil. I was simply stating people have done it. Let’s just stop talking about this bc it takes away from this thread. 👍
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The US Bureau of Transportation says Americans drive 11 Billion miles a day. EV can travel 100 miles on 34KW. So rough math we will need 3,750GW daily to go all electric. 1,875GW to go 50% electric. That’s a lot of coal. I think there is 63GW excess capacity in US now.
That is if EVERY SINGLE CAR CHARGED AT THE SAME TIME...which isn't true.

A typical commute (30 miles a day) would require you to charge maybe 1-2x times a week at 8 hours or so with level 2 charger-with the current battery tech.

Coal will be phased out in next 10-20 years.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's just a different grill and fenders. I sure hope the 7G doesn't look like the 2G.
If the Bronco goes back to being a chopped F-150 I will drive mine off a cliff in protest.

That said, I actually kind of like that render, that that said, I like the classic 6g design more.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The US Bureau of Transportation says Americans drive 11 Billion miles a day. EV can travel 100 miles on 34KW. So rough math we will need 3,750GW daily to go all electric. 1,875GW to go 50% electric. That’s a lot of coal. I think there is 63GW excess capacity in US now.
There is a study the EPA did on this already

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/f...t Scale Grid Summary Report FINAL Nov2019.pdf

Concluding Observations and Potential Future Challenges The data presented in this report offers an illustrative context showing that there have been sustained periods of time where the grid accommodated more demand than the expected additional electricity consumption associated with light-duty EV market growth scenarios ranging from 320 thousand to 7 million new EVs annually in 2030. At times, the grid has accommodated energy generation and generation capacity equivalent to as many as 25 million new EVs per year, even without consideration of managed charging. This analysis also points out that growth in incremental energy generation associated with the future EV market scenarios considered here may reverse the trend over the last 10 years of near-zero growth. In addition, within the last decade, the U.S. electric power system has added on average a dispatchable generating capacity of only 12 GW per year, with years that exceeded 25 GW when including intermittent resources. This dispatchable generating capacity is equivalent to the aggregate demand of nearly 6 million new light duty EVs per year. Accordingly, with adequate utility resources and preparedness to install new capacity, adequate energy generation and generation capacity are expected to be able to support a growing EV fleet as it evolves over time, even in a future characterized by relatively high EV market. It is also important to note that non-technical factors such as policy, regulatory framework, and economic constraints may have changed over the period corresponding to the historical data presented here and may affect future energy generation and generation capacity expansion.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just hold on for your 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 Badlands Raptor Everglades Oates Craftsman EV edition Price Protection!

*edit*

STAY PUMPED!
Your post brings to mind Johnny Cash's song, "One Part At a Time," the story of an autoworker who builds a Cadillac by stealing one part a day..over 21 years. Some of the lyrics,

I got it one piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style, I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around

Uh, what model is it?
Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile

Here's the entire song:

Me, I got no patience with this EV talk. Someday--hopefully not too long--a lot of people will be ruefully acknowledging, "We sure got suckered with all that "global warming" and "green energy" nonsense.

Me? Every time I pass a "charging station," I disconnect the EV cables. My little bit to help reduce demand on the power grid.

Sponsored

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not really. There is unlikely to be a magic battery made that will be an actual replacement for distance and/or the ease of filling a gas tank quickly.
As we‘re dealing with non-time bounded predictions, I’ll go with likely.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Me, I got no patience with this EV talk. Someday--hopefully not too long--a lot of people will be ruefully acknowledging, "We sure got suckered with all that "global warming" and "green energy" nonsense.

Me? Every time I pass a "charging station," I disconnect the EV cables. My little bit to help reduce demand on the power grid.
Boston is at sea level right? Good luck!

Also, when disconnecting those, you'll want to make sure they're really disconnected. The best way to do this, is to lick the exposed terminals in the station. Upwards of 430A at 500V is more of a tickle than anything else, so give it a try!

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wouldn’t bet against technology. Once a BEV can be recharged in less time than it takes to gas up, the ICE’s days will be numbered. That could happen tomorrow or ten years from now. Who knows?
Agree. The Luddites bet against technology, and the list goes on and on. Over the mid-to long term short fossil fuel is the bet.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Boston is at sea level right? Good luck!

Also, when disconnecting those, you'll want to make sure they're really disconnected. The best way to do this, is to lick the exposed terminals in the station. Upwards of 430A at 500V is more of a tickle than anything else, so give it a try!
If I get more specific, we risk the censors' "moderators'" wrath. I'll just state that 1) I don't really interfere with peoples' EVs, much as I'd like to, 2) my residence is about 50 feet above sea level, as opposed to a Very.Prominent.Advocate of "global warming" who bought a shorefront mansion on Martha's Vineyard, and 3) Time will prove that all this was a bunch of crony-capitalist hooey.

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco 7th Gen 2030 Bronco Coming End of 2029, Together With Electric Bronco EV (TE1 Platform) 73tbr9

The best way to do this, is to lick the exposed terminals in the station. Upwards of 430A at 500V is more of a tickle than anything else, so give it a try!
Such a polarizing topic. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Bigdeer2000

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That is if EVERY SINGLE CAR CHARGED AT THE SAME TIME...which isn't true.

A typical commute (30 miles a day) would require you to charge maybe 1-2x times a week at 8 hours or so with level 2 charger-with the current battery tech.

Coal will be phased out in next 10-20 years.
the numbers had nothing to do with charging every single car at the same time. They only considered the actual miles driven every single day. 11 Billion miles Everyday.

369 million gallons of gasoline are sold everyday to cover most of the daily miles. How many decades has it taken to build the delivery systems and supply chain for that? It takes 5 minutes to get 400 miles of range at gas stations. If EV can get it to 5 minutes to 400 range How long will it take to get as many charging stations as we have gas pumps with grid to support it?

I hope they can make it happen but numbers suggest it will be very difficult.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

the numbers had nothing to do with charging every single car at the same time. They only considered the actual miles driven every single day. 11 Billion miles Everyday.

369 million gallons of gasoline are sold everyday to cover most of the daily miles. How many decades has it taken to build the delivery systems and supply chain for that? It takes 5 minutes to get 400 miles of range at gas stations. If EV can get it to 5 minutes to 400 range How long will it take to get as many charging stations as we have gas pumps with grid to support it?

I hope they can make it happen but numbers suggest it will be very difficult.
That is the problem-About 60% can charge at home (within reason) vs visting a gas station.

You need to change your mindset to a point when it comes to charging vs gasing up a vehicle.

You don't drive your car roughly 20-22 hours a day-your telling me you can't find 8 hours to put it on a charger for level 2? That is assuming its down to zero.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve been a beta tester and now regular rider of Waymo autonomous vehicles since 2018, in Tempe, AZ where they are being developed. I order up a vehicle on my phone, it shows up in a few minutes, I sit in the back and work or listen to music and rest or play a game or read, no one in the driver’s seat. By 2030 this thread will look hilarious.

As for the next few years, a hybrid really would be nice. Love our Camry hybrid and it’s daily driver 55mpg. Bronco is for smiles per gallon.

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’d hate for the Bronco to turn into an appliance. 🤦‍♂️

I’ve been telling anyone and everyone around me, if you’ve ever wanted something with an engine, especially a big ass engine……..I don’t even care if it’s a moped or mini-bike…….buy it in the next few years before you can’t!!

The 4 wheeled appliance is on the horizon…….and the kids seem to be ok with it. Ugh.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I personally don't think (fully) electrifying a vehicle like the Bronco is wise use of the scarce materials that go into making the batteries. Those materials will be needed to make batteries for the power grid, so the grid can handle high amounts of renewable generation.

A plug in hybrid makes more sense: enough battery to get you around town, a fuel tank to get you in (and out) of the back country. Better fuel economy for your trips.
Sponsored