Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I personally don't think (fully) electrifying a vehicle like the Bronco is wise use of the scarce materials that go into making the batteries. Those materials will be needed to make batteries for the power grid, so the grid can handle high amounts of renewable generation.

A plug in hybrid makes more sense: enough battery to get you around town, a fuel tank to get you in (and out) of the back country. Better fuel economy for your trips.
Batteries for grids donā€™t need to be lithium ion- weight is not a concern, and lead-acid will dominate that role. Hybrids serve neither role effectively, giving up engine performance to a battery augmented drivetrain. Yet the battery system is so limited it typically can only power the vehicle for 25 miles. Itā€™s a bad ICE and a bad EV. Once solid-state lithium battery tech comes to market, itā€™s close, EVs will gain about 40% range for the same size battery, or loose a lot of weight if the range is kept the same as current range. They will be able to recharge repeatedly and not lose the capacity as ā€œwetā€ tech does. It will be transformative for the industry. Harvard has been testing a formulation that can handle 10,000 cycles, and would last 25-50 years. And the batteries donā€™t catch on fire. EVs will not be what we complain of today. We put a man on the moon over half century ago with FAR less computing power than exists in a smart watch. Watch what happens as innovation and business opportunity transforms the EV space. We will look at ICE one day the way we look at horse-drawn carriages.
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Iā€™d hate for the Bronco to turn into an appliance. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
when that applicance launchā€™s like a ride at six flags, Iā€™ll take it.

If you havenā€™t gotten a ride or driven BEV recently, youā€™ll be surprised at the performance they have.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™ve been a beta tester and now regular rider of Waymo autonomous vehicles since 2018, in Tempe, AZ where they are being developed. I order up a vehicle on my phone, it shows up in a few minutes, I sit in the back and work or listen to music and rest or play a game or read, no one in the driverā€™s seat. By 2030 this thread will look hilarious.

As for the next few years, a hybrid really would be nice. Love our Camry hybrid and itā€™s daily driver 55mpg. Bronco is for smiles per gallon.
I laugh when people say autonomous vehicles will never happen. It may take longer than originally thought, but it will happen. Eventually, vehicles like the Bronco, will be strictly for off road use.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Batteries for grids donā€™t need to be lithium ion- weight is not a concern, and lead-acid will dominate that role. Hybrids serve neither role effectively, giving up engine performance to a battery augmented drivetrain. Yet the battery system is so limited it typically can only power the vehicle for 25 miles. Itā€™s a bad ICE and a bad EV. Once solid-state lithium battery tech comes to market, itā€™s close, EVs will gain about 40% range for the same size battery, or loose a lot of weight if the range is kept the same as current range. They will be able to recharge repeatedly and not lose the capacity as ā€œwetā€ tech does. It will be transformative for the industry. Harvard has been testing a formulation that can handle 10,000 cycles, and would last 25-50 years. And the batteries donā€™t catch on fire. EVs will not be what we complain of today. We put a man on the moon over half century ago with FAR less computing power than exists in a smart watch. Watch what happens as innovation and business opportunity transforms the EV space. We will look at ICE one day the way we look at horse-drawn carriages.
I believe youā€™re right, the future is electric. The ICE has had a good run, but like everything else, it has run its course. The market will come up with range and charging solutions that today seem unfathomable.

c-dubb

Raptor
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Also, when disconnecting those, you'll want to make sure they're really disconnected. The best way to do this, is to lick the exposed terminals in the station. Upwards of 430A at 500V is more of a tickle than anything else, so give it a try!
Wow pretty dicky thing to say. Surprised so many likes.

Sponsored

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

when that applicance launchā€™s like a ride at six flags, Iā€™ll take it.

If you havenā€™t gotten a ride or driven BEV recently, youā€™ll be surprised at the performance they have.
It always amazes me how itā€™s about ā€œperformanceā€, in an SUV or any electric appliance šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøā€¦ā€¦..and not about gas savings. I say to you yesā€¦ā€¦.I love the feel of sterile, like being in a padded room. I guess I could put in ear plugs and drive a box around to know if Iā€™ll really like that or not. Ugh.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It always amazes me how itā€™s about ā€œperformanceā€, in an SUV or any electric appliance šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøā€¦ā€¦..and not about gas savings. I say to you yesā€¦ā€¦.I love the feel of sterile, like being in a padded room. I guess I could put in ear plugs and drive a box around to know if Iā€™ll really like that or not. Ugh.
I guess if the padded room exerting G forces on you, you might have a point.

The performance is a side effect of using electric motors-400-500 ft+ of Torque at 1+ RPM is the average.

As for MPG vs BEVs, read this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_gallon_gasoline_equivalent

Not to mention, I'd rather not be beat up by my vehicles when I drive them...the Bronco is shockly good at not doing this, outside of wild noise at 70 mph.

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow pretty dicky thing to say. Surprised so many likes.
Wait.

That sarcastic reply is the dick thing to say, but not the climate change denier bragging about committing crimes because heā€™s a snowflake triggered by just the thought of EVs?

The priorities on display here.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Works for me... At the rate things are going if my reservation stays active i'll be able to get an early next gen build date!

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As a powerboost owner with 7.2 kw inverter, iā€™d love to see this technology in the bronco.
That's the one that really interests me.

Spartan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When's the current generation refresh coming?

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wait.

That sarcastic reply is the dick thing to say, but not the climate change denier bragging about committing crimes because heā€™s a snowflake triggered by just the thought of EVs?

The priorities on display here.
You sound vaccinated.