Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because Ford keeps touting Price Protection to order holders. Order holders do not have any price protection if the dealer can mark it up however they want.
I can only guess a lot of folks have not read the document completely.

The last sentence states the dealer has final say in what the pricing strategy will be. Ford is only saying FoMoCo will not raise the MSRP.
Here is the excerpt: I highlighted the last sentence.
-----------------------------------------
What does price protection for the 2022 and 2023 model year mean?
Ford will honor 2021 MY MSRP pricing for a similarly equipped vehicle for all customers who had a reservation or order as of March 19, 2021. Final selling price is based on the buyer’s agreement with your selected dealer.

--------------------------------------------
It is an absolutely worthless statement that guarantees almost nothing to the customer.

I cannot believe how many people did not sign a pricing agreement at order time.
Sponsored

bbkat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've asked my dealer face to face 3x if they are going to mark up/ charge ADM when the Bronco eventually shows up and they have replied no each time. They admitted they will do that for stock units but claim orders will not be marked up. That's not to say they won't do it when the time comes but at this point I have no choice but to believe them. We shall see indeed.
I too only had a verbal commitment of no markup from my dealer. Then after the drama with the woman in TX hit with $15k ADM, I was up worrying in the middle of the night because I was truly at the dealer's mercy several months after placing the order. (huge lesson learned)

So I emailed my dealer and asked him to put it in writing. He responded via email, confirming our no-ADM understanding. He seemed a bit bothered by my lack of trust, but he "got it" when I explained to him that I needed the protection in the event he may no longer be around when I take delivery.

. . . which could be over six months from now at the rate the MIC debacle is unfolding

Chaos

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is a potential looming sh$t show... There are a few thousand vehicles sitting at MAP to be delivered, these represent the majority of the 21" model year vehicles that will be delivered, unless everyone with a eligible 4-door opts for the soft top right now and they ramp up production balls to the wall..... We will see how many people end up getting hit with ADMs on these vehicles.

Clearly there are many people with strong belief in how the dealer manufacturer relationship works, but very few that truly understand it. Ford as the manufacturer does hold ultimate power here. Dealers are just legally mandated/forced middle men. In most case simply due to each states franchise laws. In time that will change.

RobbyBronco

Base
First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm failing to see how this is Ford's problem. Dealerships are Ford's customers. We're dealership customers.

I mean, yeah, it really sucks, but unless you're planning to bring a class action lawsuit against Ford this really is beyond their control, right?
1. Ask Ford whom their customers are and you’ll likely find that you’re wrong.

2. You should probably avoid offering legal advice completely.

Briley

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I too only had a verbal commitment of no markup from my dealer. Then after the drama with the woman in TX hit with $15k ADM, I was up worrying in the middle of the night because I was truly at the dealer's mercy several months after placing the order. (huge lesson learned)

So I emailed my dealer and asked him to put it in writing. He responded via email, confirming our no-ADM understanding. He seemed a bit bothered by my lack of trust, but he "got it" when I explained to him that I needed the protection in the event he may no longer be around when I take delivery.

. . . which could be over six months from now at the rate the MIC debacle is unfolding
The part about him not being around when it comes in makes total sense to me. I have a similar situation and I text mine this morning and am still waiting for a reply. I guess by tomorrow if he doesn’t reply I will be emailing and calling the dealership. If he didn’t want to be bothered on his personal line, he shouldn’t have given it to me when he took my res and deposit money when he placed the order.
A simple, “I’m not working today” or “I’ll get back to you after I digest this shit sammich that Ford just fed everyone”, would go a long way. At this point if the kid gets scolded for not helping his customers after I go over his head isn’t on me.

Sponsored

RobbyBronco

Base
First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
But on this forum you will get the typical response in the first two comments. There are people that just don’t care and have money to burn and they will blame everyone but the dealer.
Maybe you hadn’t noticed how many dealers have accounts here. They try to blend in like customers but their comments make it fairly obvious.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
No - I didn't sign a contract for a $53k vehicle, sight unseen, never driven and no idea when it will arrive.

I did sign a build sheet with them that authorized my order to be placed in Ford's system based on the options that I have selected. I confirmed via e-mail that my price matched my dealer's build sheet and I got them to state in the e-mail that was the agreed upon price and there would be no add ons.
Take them to small claims court for the $5000. If you have the agreement in the email, you should AT LEAST get half in arbitration.

Coal Powers America

Big Bend
First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe you hadn’t noticed how many dealers have accounts here. They try to blend in like customers but their comments make it fairly obvious.
100% not a dealer here and I think it’s shady if a dealer raises your price IF you have an agreement. That being said I actually do feel bad for sales folks right now. I deal with local dealerships and live in a relatively small community. I'm dealing with people i know i see them around town, i legitimately don't think they are trying to rip people off. They are trying to make a living and support their families and they are in a very tough position right now. I was on two car lots today one had 8 new cars the other had 11, both the dealerships both normally have over 100 cars. If your livelihood is based on moving product and you have no product to move it's a tough situation to be in. I think there are some bad apples out there (there is one dealership around me i 100% wouldn't deal with) but in 2021 with the amount of information that is available on the internet both for pricing and dealer reviews I don't think it behooves a dealer to try to rip people off. I try to live my life by the golden rule and think you can find a lot of honest dealers out there that a handshake is still enough to honor a deal.

✌❤

OP
OP
Tadel001

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think many are missing the point. I have the evidence to prevail in a small claims. Should I really have to do that? Besides, my choice was to not buy the Bronco and sue them. What would be my remedy? Can’t get specific performance because the Bronco is sold someone else. Money damages? I would have to buy a replacement and charge the difference, assuming I could find what I wanted.

Keep thinking your signed contract is the hammer in hand.... The only hammer in this equation is Ford and the customer. As we can see on this simple thread, the customers won’t align. So in the end, it is Ford at the dealer. The dealership wants Ford product. Hence my original title... This has to be and is a Ford problem. They need to deal with this. The consumer doesn’t have a practical solution.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just paid $5k ADM on a BB that someone ordered and refused to buy. The dealership called and told me up front of the ADM. The salesman told me the GSM wanted $10k over MSRP, but he talked him down to $5k due to all we’ve been through. And he knows I’m keeping my 2dr BL reservation for 2022 delivery. He also told me someone offered $10k over after it was offered to me at $5k over. I’m ok with it and since I needed a gap vehicle, that was better than paying $43k for a 2018 4Runner Premium with 40,000 miles on it. It’s crazy out there……check your expectations at the door, because it’s a new world.

Sponsored

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go straight to Mike Levine on Twitter. Tagging FMC on this website won't get you very far. Mike has been really good about reaching out to customers with issues like this on twitter and following up with the dealers. Not sure you'll get anywhere, but he has taken on these situations over the last couple months. Good luck.

edit: This is another reason the long game with Granger, Chapman of Horsham and Stephens Auto Center was the right play for me and many others. I'm with Granger, but this situation is eliminated for buyers at these 3 locations. I should throw in the Texas Group Buy dealership as well, but I'm not sure what dealership that is. Again, good luck to you in getting some traction with Mike Levine or Ford on this.
Im with Stephens too, but hoping we dont run into this, its easy for a dealer to put that markup on paper. Just bought my daughter a new VW and after i thought i had a deal on phone and email, went to dealer to get ADM of $1695, not a lot, i know, but shopped it around on phone while in their showroom, ended up taking it off, bt that wasnt a Bronco which seems high demand!!

Jhopkinson

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 4dr SAS, 22 Base 2dr SAS, 2021 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My 2 cents on the situation. If a dealer has a stock vehicle on it's lot then mark it up all you want. If a customer special orders a vehicle ADM should not be a option. The dealership would not even have that vehicle had the customer not ordered it. I know some law exist to prevent it so I've heard, but Ford needs to either sell vehicles directly to customers or threaten to cut off dealers that put and ADM on special orders.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2 cents on the situation. If a dealer has a stock vehicle on it's lot then mark it up all you want. If a customer special orders a vehicle ADM should not be a option. The dealership would not even have that vehicle had the customer not ordered it. I know some law exist to prevent it so I've heard, but Ford needs to either sell vehicles directly to customers or threaten to cut off dealers that put and ADM on special orders.
I ran into this when deciding to change dealers back in October. I called my local dealer that I went with when reserving and was transferred to a salesman. I said I had a reservation with his dealership and asked about pricing. He told me that if they could even get one of those Broncos on the lot they would be charging at least $10k over invoice. I explained to him that I reserved one and when it is ordered it will be coming to your lot. I had to further explain that it was my Bronco going there so what's the price? I knew about the Stephens deal and told him about it. (Invoice - $1000) He basically called me a liar and said there was no way any dealer was doing that. Well he finally talked to sales manager and the manager said most likely MSRP.

I moved my reservation to Stephen's the next day.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know this topic has been discussed a few times. However, the ability for dealers to hold reservation holders hostage at purchase by forcing the buyer to accept ADM up charges or forgo the order is wrong. We made the reservation for the Bronco. We spec’d it out and placed the order. We anticipated Ford delivering to us our Bronco. Pricing was established at the order. Granted, there are dealer fees associated with delivery, tax, title, etc. But a pure mark up based on demand is wrong. The challenges with delivering Broncos has added to the demand. Dealers know it and are using it to their advantage. I purchased my Badlands yesterday. There was a $5K markup. When I balked at it, they said that is the going rate right now. I pushed back. I was basically left with either buying my bronco with a markup or watch it be sold to someone else and have to wait another year plus for a replacement. Ford has talked about holding pricing but that is meaningless when dealers are permitted to mark up the Bronco.

I love this Bronco. It is really an awesome Truck. Ford has done an excellent job. It sucks that the experience is tainted by BS practices of dealers. The worst part, I moved my early reservation from one dealer (that was non-response) to this dealer. So they would not have had my early reservation but for me. They Would have to wait on their other MIC top, constraint laden orders.

Hoping @FordMotorCompany can find a way to deal with this.
Reputable dealers don't operate this way. If you have a deal in writing they should honor it. It makes the @Granger Ford, @flip, and my dealership look bad.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reputable dealers don't operate this way. If you have a deal in writing they should honor it. It makes the @Granger Ford, @flip, and my dealership look bad.
Mark up on any vehicle, especially a mass produced one, is unethical and we do not ever charge any mark up. It sucks, but what can we do about it.
Sponsored