Sponsored

Anyone in a Big Bend regret their choice? Any Base model owners wish they upgraded?

OP
OP
ThisGuy611

ThisGuy611

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 M3 6spd Sedan; EG Base Scheduled 3/27
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for all the replies! Part of my hesitation comes from my current car being a BMW M3 with a V8, so I’m used to the speed and high quality interior. Great car, but with over 100k miles it’s time to go. The 6 speed on it is also not forgiving at all for a daily driver and that’s part of the reason I think the 2.7 auto would be nice. I did have a jeep TJ before so I’m not going in expecting another BMW or anything.

I’d probably go base 2.7 if it didn’t have 3.73 gearing on it, can’t imagine pushing 33”s would be too fun with that setup, and definitely not if I ever want 35”s.

I’m currently leaning on leaving my order alone as a base 6 speed to keep my price protection. I can always order another one when the banks open up and then see where things go. I’d also prefer to keep the $10k or so to add my own touches such as seat covers and nicer wheels than I’d go for with the BB.
Sponsored

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for all the replies! Part of my hesitation comes from my current car being a BMW M3 with a V8, so I’m used to the speed and high quality interior. Great car, but with over 100k miles it’s time to go. The 6 speed on it is also not forgiving at all for a daily driver and that’s part of the reason I think the 2.7 auto would be nice. I did have a jeep TJ before so I’m not going in expecting another BMW or anything.

I’d probably go base 2.7 if it didn’t have 3.73 gearing on it, can’t imagine pushing 33”s would be too fun with that setup, and definitely not if I ever want 35”s.

I’m currently leaning on leaving my order alone as a base 6 speed to keep my price protection. I can always order another one when the banks open up and then see where things go. I’d also prefer to keep the $10k or so to add my own touches such as seat covers and nicer wheels than I’d go for with the BB.
I have the Lux and if you compare it to the M3, you are going to defiantly be disappointed. BUT you have the right one order in my mind. Plan on ordering leather seat covers with heated and cooled from someone, there are a few companies out there. Then hunt down a steering wheel or find a company that can leather wrap it. That is going to make the inside nicer than the Lux.
As far as the manual trans. We have a few sports cars and this transmission is actually good and fun to drive. The 2.3 feels so lively and fun to drive. It defiantly feel WAY faster than it is. If they would have let me order ACC on the base, I would have for sure.

10K_Vet

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Big Bend, no regrets. Everyone always loves it.

New Shoes.jpg

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am very happy with my Base Sasquatch- only option the 2.7. I don't feel I am missing anything at all- love it just the way it is. The higher trims seem so expensive what you actually get. The only one option that would be most valuable on the trail on all of those trims is the sway bar disconnect. All other "luxury" items are way over priced to me.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

baseBase owner here.
Any time I start to feel regret, I price out a Big Bend and it goes away.
I'm into my Bronco for MSRP of 32k. Not too shabby.
Any Base, Squatch or not, is a bargain when put up against another comparable trim.

That Big Bend Tax is a bitch.
Plus , as others have stated, for a few bucks more you're in a Black Diamond with some cool gear on it ... plus a locked 4.46 gear set on a V6 option !!!! :oops:
That would rip!!!

For me, item #1 is the heated seats ... prolly not a concern for you, lol.

But, I can do those for $300 if I feel so inclined.

The rear locker for sure would have been on my hit list also.

Heated seats works out like this:
BB Tax $5000
Mid .... $ 1500
forced auto ... $1800

Freaking $8300 to get to the heated seats!!

If Mid was included in that BB tax, then it would be a better deal.

The Jeep "Winter Climate Package" on their version of a Base is a great idea. Wish they would copy them in that regard.
(seats, mirrors and steering wheel)
It's a great idea for a topless vehicle, stretch out that topless season a bit for us northern folk.
First, there is no doubt that the Base, Sas or not is an absolute steal. Those that have purchased a Base, especially Sasquatch Bases have pulled one over on Ford.

But , to the myth of the Big Bend Tax: One pays about $3K more than is justified based on features for ANY trim above Base. The other way of looking at it is you get a $3K discount for purchasing a Base.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ThisGuy611

ThisGuy611

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First, there is no doubt that the Base, Sas or not is an absolute steal. Those that have purchased a Base, especially Sasquatch Bases have pulled one over on Ford.

But , to the myth of the Big Bend Tax: One pays about $3K more than is justified based on features for ANY trim above Base. The other way of looking at it is you get a $3K discount for purchasing a Base.
Totally Agree, if I needed the SAS I'd be more content with a base auto since the gearing is right. As is, I don't need anything near that capable to justify the hit on MPG , weight, and on-road driving dynamics.

I got my Base in at $29,300 before options, $32,520 after destination charges. It's an absolute steal.

OP
OP
ThisGuy611

ThisGuy611

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the Lux and if you compare it to the M3, you are going to defiantly be disappointed. BUT you have the right one order in my mind. Plan on ordering leather seat covers with heated and cooled from someone, there are a few companies out there. Then hunt down a steering wheel or find a company that can leather wrap it. That is going to make the inside nicer than the Lux.
As far as the manual trans. We have a few sports cars and this transmission is actually good and fun to drive. The 2.3 feels so lively and fun to drive. It defiantly feel WAY faster than it is. If they would have let me order ACC on the base, I would have for sure.
Thanks for the comment! I'm definitely looking at putting either Mabett or Katzkin seat covers in, depending if I want to go all out or not. I'm mostly interested in changing the color rather than putting a cover on it, although the ventilation would be nice in Florida.

As long as the 2.3L can hang at 75mph on I-95 with enough left in the tank to make some passes, I'll be happy!

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Future Base owner here. I won't be a big off roader, so the Base will fit my needs just fine. I can get my rear windows tinted locally.

Glens 67

Badlands
First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 4X4, 1968 F350 Caveman motorhome.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love the big bend! Of course we all wish we had more money to spend on our bronco, and I would have if I could have. I went with the big bend with locking rear differential, 2.3 engine, auxiliary switches and tow package. Would be nice to have extra features but I got everything I needed from the factory, and can always upgrade as needed. I have already upgraded to 33‘s. I ended up switching to a soft top so I could get it sooner and I ended up loving that too. Except when I went camping and the raccoons got into my car through the soft top. At some point I will be ordering a hardtop.
How did the raccoons get in? Did they cause much damage? Pictures?

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Base with aux switches, a hard top, and the V6. So happy with it have had it since December. I installed 33's on a 20-inch rim, so happy with the look. If you're going to use it hardcore then, you would need lockers, but other than that I think you would be happy with either the Base or Big Bend, I went Base to save me money for the after-market rims and tires.

Sponsored

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a Big Bend, 2.3L, standard package, 2 door. Other than the aux switches and rear locker, no extras. I don't offroad often and then mostly on gravel and dirt roads. Love the tight turn radius and the cloth seats are comfortable (will upgrade to Katzkins in 2023). And I have a manual transmission,. my first in over 20 years (and likely my last), really a ton of fun to row those gears.

I do miss the tow package - I've installed a hitch but am reluctant to do the wiring myself, and my dealer is so backed-up that they don't know when they can get to it. I know a local shop who wants to install the wiring but they've never worked on a Bronco which makes me hesitate.

All in, the truck was just under $39K. I'm pleased with the purchase! The only issue to deal with is the Windshield recall 22C12, so far my dealer doesn't have a vendor identified to do the work.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
It depends on what you want it for
I needed an automatic (health and age reasons) and wanted the 2.7.
I got the Non Squatch Base with the 3.73 gears. Aux sw, keyless pad and roof rails.
I put 33's on it and it is my everyday driver and I'm getting 23.5 mpg average after 5000 mi. I keep it around 60 for my 35 mi, one way, commute to work.
If I could have gotten lockers on a gear ratio in the high 300's I would have done it but lockers are the only thing I would like to have had. Although I might only need them half a dozen times in the life of the vehicle.

Here is my Base. No Regrets. From last oil change. Since new. never reset.
Ford Bronco Anyone in a Big Bend regret their choice? Any Base model owners wish they upgraded? IMG_0171.JPG
Ford Bronco Anyone in a Big Bend regret their choice? Any Base model owners wish they upgraded? IMG_0230.JPG
Ford Bronco Anyone in a Big Bend regret their choice? Any Base model owners wish they upgraded? IMG_0231.JPG

Last edited:

Step

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Love the big bend! Of course we all wish we had more money to spend on our bronco, and I would have if I could have. I went with the big bend with locking rear differential and tow package. Would be nice to have extra features but I got everything I needed from the factory, and can always upgrade as needed. I have already upgraded to 33‘s . I ended up switching to a soft top so I could get it sooner and I ended up loving that too. Except when I went camping and the raccoons got into my car through the soft top. At some point I will be ordering a hardtop.
How did the raccoons get in? Did they cause much damage? Pictures?
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/raccoon-infiltrates-soft-top.50025/#post-1518255

Benzito

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.3L with 33s (on steelie rims, no less) and I’m not feeling disappointed about a lack of power. Acceleration stinks, but this isn’t a Mustang.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Of those two trims...and assuming you are going to outsource source most of the cosmetic parts, I'd pick the Base with Sasquatch and 2.7. While you can out source the contents of the Sasquatch package, the aftermarket costs will be more, it won't be under warranty and you have to pay full cost at install rather than roll into a payment. Regarding the 2.7, I've driven Broncos with both engines and I picked the 2.7 due to the extra torque it has that helps move big or aftermarket bigger tires that will be coming. And the future potential to boost power in the 2.7 will exceed the 2.3.
Sponsored