Sponsored

Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans?

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i have always dated women who can drive a manual. it was almost like a requirement.
Lol i had those requirements too,must drive stick,no vegitarians but darn it a princess showed up at my door so if she never learns its okay.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@ontheuptick I'm sure if someone could teach you to drive a manual transmission, certainly your wife can learn how.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't understand this thread. It's really up to you and her...not some people on a forum.

Of course it's possible. It's up to you two if it's worth the stress.

My then girlfriend, now wife, taught me how to drive a manual when we were younger and rented a car in Europe. Learned on a right hand drive. Stalled it a few times in miraculous fashion in traffic but had it down by the afternoon.
When I drove right-hand with a manual transmission, I expected the gearing was going to be reversed. It took me some time to train my brain that first gear was far away and the pattern is the same. I makes sense, but that just further proves that the whole world should be driving on the right side of the road from the left side of the car, using our right hand for the manual transmission. :)

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've traveled for work to Europe along with Australia. Both drive more manual (and hatchbacks). A lady from work took me out to dinner in her stick Holden Coupe. Driving manual left handed racing through roundabouts... That was impressive. Autobahn was boring compared to that.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anybody who teaches their spouse to drive a stick has bigger balls than me. Luckily, mine already knew. I can always tell my wife, just can't tell her much...

Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I drove right-hand with a manual transmission, I expected the gearing was going to be reversed. It took me some time to train my brain that first gear was far away and the pattern is the same. I makes sense, but that just further proves that the whole world should be driving on the right side of the road from the left side of the car, using our right hand for the manual transmission. :)
Seems we need poll option added on other thread. Have you driven a backwards manual?

Had no idea.

CCBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it’s a simple answer. If she’s willing to learn, teach her. If not, don’t teach her. Forcing someone to learn something they have no interest in learning will just end badly.

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
Definitely have someone else teach her and do it now. See how well she picks it up, and if she enjoys it. Then let her make the decision on the transmission after she’s learned the basics.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You’re wife might be a no go right now, but if you have or planning to have kids...might be a great bonding time with them. Maybe at that point your wife might be interested in learning?

My wife knows how, I’m getting manual to teach my daughter.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Of course she can learn and you can teach her. Beautiful way to end a marriage.....

Aside from her questionable choice in men (J/K), she would pick it up. The trouble is, she would hate it very likely. If she had to drive it much, then I wouldn't bother and either get an Auto (cool kids club) or get the 4dr auto.

Sounds like you want the best of both worlds.

Sponsored

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have tried a few times but with her being 4'9.75" tall it is a lost cause unless blocks are attached to the pedals or finding vehicle that is standard and has movable pedals. In my old ranger she had to extend her toes just to be able to press the clutch in far enough to start it.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Taught wife and daughter. Wife would not drive my old BMW back in the 80s as she was afraid to hurt - tried to tell her it would be just fine. She finally went ahead on the Z3. All we did was go to a local parking lot with a bit of a grade and let her get used to starting, holding and braking going uphill. Easy peasy.

That said, its entirely possible it could go like my attempt to take her to the top of the mountain on day 1 on skis. Told her "don't worry, if you just go back and forth you take out the slope and it will be no problem.". After removing skis and walking down said hill, I guess I'm really fortunate to not have been impaled with a ski pole that day. if it gets ugly, call in Dad...there's a lot more understanding and patience when it is not your spouse, on both sides.

(and I'm not trying to be sexist here, there are plenty of things she can do that I have no clue. I still cannot blow bubbles with chewing gum to save my life. Gum goes across the room and she finds it (rightly) hilarious)

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh these stories are great,everyone has their limit and comfort zone.

I watched a friend melt his clutch and fry flywheel teaching his wife ,we pulled the bellhousing back from the engine and chunks of stuff starting falling out! She pokes her head in and says did i do that we said no it was bad already.She went and made us a killer lunch and all was good.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CAN you teach her, yes, SHOULD you teach her, no!
Sponsored