First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So here is a question: I have to finalize my build and am torn between these two. The Black Diamond is about $7k cheaper but doesn't have the 12 inch screen option, additional off road equipment, etc. The marine grade vinyl is a must so I wanted to ask you guys of you think if I'm going all in should I go for the Badlands? I am moving to Colorado and haven't really done any challenging off roading. I have no intent on selling my Bronco so wanted feedback as I haven't driven one and know you guys are well versed in the builds. Thanks!!
Sponsored

Shark1247

Badlands
First Name
Kelly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So here is a question: I have to finalize my build and am torn between these two. The Black Diamond is about $7k cheaper but doesn't have the 12 inch screen option, additional off road equipment, etc. The marine grade vinyl is a must so I wanted to ask you guys of you think if I'm going all in should I go for the Badlands? I am moving to Colorado and haven't really done any challenging off roading. I have no intent on selling my Bronco so wanted feedback as I haven't driven one and know you guys are well versed in the builds. Thanks!!
With the disconnect on option on Badlands, you will be in great country to use it and also very close to Utah off-roading with lots of options. You can only wish you would have gotten it if you settle for the lower option. I would say go all in for the Badlands and not regret not getting it. I went on the Off-Rodeo and saw the disconnect in action. Definitely worth it. Plus the added advantage of being able to go to the bigger screen and high package if you want.

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I initially reserved a BD, but did some more digging to figure out the ground clearance and realized it's the same/less than my stock Xterra. My X does okay on trails here, but not great at almost 9". The lockers on the BD would be a game changer, as would full skids, but that was really it.

I wanted a BL from the start but the cost was a bit too much for me. 4A was a must have feature because I hate dealing with a manual transfer case during winter here- anyone that's driven on 36 or 70 can speak to how quickly roads will change from totally clear and you can go highway speeds to snowpack/ice and you need more traction, especially in the mountains. My Xterra also couldn't go faster than 45 in 4H.

I thought you couldn't get a manual with 4A, but that turned out to be wrong, and a BL MT was about as much as a Sasquatch BD, and reports are coming in that the stock BL ground clearance is just about 10", so I changed my order.

Depending on what kind of trails you want to off road here, most stock Broncos will do well if you go easy moderate to solid moderates, but you're gonna be working a bit harder and really picking your lines with anything more challenging. Yankee Hill is a "rite of passage" trail, moderate difficulty, but the absolute hardest trail I'd wheel my Xterra on. A BL is gonna let me tackle harder stuff IMO.

@Chase Gentry posted a video on his YT of a stock OBX doing Tincup that I think will give you a decent idea of the capability of stock trims on a more difficult trail here.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

whats the money situation like? and do you need/want a front locker? would you fancy a sasquatch BD vs a non-sas BL? only you can tell when it comes to money. 7k is a lot to some and not a lot for others. i'm at the point of a manual sas BD. maybe a man base-squatch. but need to see pricing on that and if the mid package will ever be offered with the manual.

cahme

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bimmers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In my mind, it's simple ...
If you want High/Lux bad enough to pay the premium, go Badlands (IMHO, no reason to + $2500 SAS)

If you want the strong/lockable front axle and not go to 35s, go Badlands

If you want the strong/lockable front axle and 35s, go Black Diamond + SAS (still cheaper than BL)

If you are happy with the standard front axle and 32s, or want to do your own tires/lift, go Black Diamond

Sponsored

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh also, my BL as I built it with towing and the high package (12" screen) was only ~$400 more than a SAS BD, but it is manual vs automatic. I feel I'm getting a lot more normal baseline car feature bang for my buck vs the BD, but the big thing was going manual for me.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you plan on keeping it for a long time go with the badlands. It will be the collectors choice IMO. If money is tight the black diamond is a good choice. I was originally looking at a 2 door black diamond, but am reconsidering. I am in no rush though want to see Ford fix all the little gremlins before I spend 50-75k for a vehicle. Also, curious if they do a hybrid

Jason hamilton

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was debating the same thing. I originally went with BL SAS, but switched to BD with adv 4x4 (4A) and rea locker mostly for the cost savings. I do not plan to do any rock crawling so the extra articulation is not a big issue for me. I am giving up the front locker and beefier front axle and 4.7 gears, but I figure the 4.46 will be strong enough and should give a little more on the high end as it will spend alot of time on the road. I do plan to add 2" lift (SAS is only 1") from 2.5 coilovers and 35's once the aftermarket has more options. Should be able to run 33's on the BD after removing crash bars. Also main purpose will be to get me to slopes so I had to go the the Black Diamond.

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly what others have already said. I weighed options and price. Bang for your buck is going to be badlands. I have a 2 door BL, manual scheduled in November. Non sasquatch BL gives you more articulation than any Sasquatch optioned bronco.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like you got plenty of guidance on the lockers and sta-bar disconnect above, so the only other thing that I'd add is that when I did the Moab Off-Roadeo in a Badlands, it didn't have the optional front facing cameras that's only available on the High and Lux packages. Not something I thought I'd need that bad, but on the trails, I could really see the use for it. Badlands, with High+ just has so much going for it.

Sponsored

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went with black diamond with sasquatch. From an offroading perspective, I believe the only difference is the sway bar disconnect. I doubt I will ever be in a position to need that. I wanted the high package so that's the one compromise I made. I considered the cost difference to get the sasquatch with the badlands plus the cost of moving up to the high package and the value just wasn't there for me. Good luck with the decision.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I cut my teeth on Colorado trails... Black Diamond non-sasquatch will do all Colorado trails rated 6/10 trails (Wells book for reference) no problem and 7/10 trails with possible assistance (IE Spring Creek).

I say that because that's what my 06 Xterra Offroad can do (33's, rear locker, PML lift, and armored). On paper it seemed to me that a Black Diamond non-sasquatch was about equivalent of a slightly moded 2nd gen Xterra, differences taken with a large grain of salt. Such as the Xterra is rated to tow more but the Bronco has a better rear end suspension for offroad. Also in looking at the dana axles under the two vehicles, Xterra has a 180 up front and black diamond has the 190. 35's are the question mark for the 180, too much spin and the diffs have potential to grenade. The upgraded axles options are interestingly similar as well; Xterra Titan swapped takes you to a 205 and Sasquatch/Badlands takes you to 210.

I went the Black Diamond Sasquatch route as I felt it was an upgrade to my 2nd gen Xterra Offroad/pro4x where to gain the next round of upgrades on the Xterra became cost prohibitive for me. Which also means I couldn't justify the Badlands for the SBD and high/lux packages.

I think you are solidly good with a Black Diamond until you get more experience offroad and thus the direction you want to go...you could end up repeating what my buddy from Jersey did; buy a base Xterra, learn to wheel it at Rouch Creek, move to CO, Titan swap it, then SAS/SFA it, then sell it to build a truggy, then sell that to build a F-450 full time RV...just saying Colorado fucks you New Jersey people up in the head so best of luck in not draining your bank account after your move.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not an off-road expert by any means so take this advice with a grain of salt. The front locker seems worth it to me. I got stuck a couple of times at the off-roadeo and the usual thing was to try one locker and then the second one so that we didn't tear up the trails. It almost felt too easy getting unstuck with both lockers enabled. If you don't care about the tech, stick with the BD + Sas.

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I figured the difference in $$ from what I wanted in the BD/mid/squatch and what I would order in the BL/lux/squatch was about 8K and was close enough that I might as well get the BL/Lux/Squatch. If the BD was more compelling at a price level, probably would have went with it if that makes sense.

Put another way, I am at least dropping 50K,. might as well get the nicer model -regardless of function.

OP
OP
Broncosandboxers
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I figured the difference in $$ from what I wanted in the BD/mid/squatch and what I would order in the BL/lux/squatch was about 8K and was close enough that I might as well get the BL/Lux/Squatch. If the BD was more compelling at a price level, probably would have went with it if that makes sense.

Put another way, I am at least dropping 50K,. might as well get the nicer model -regardless of function.
Thanks, those were my thoughts...I'm not going to Scratch but might dip my toes in some off-road stuff out West. So I think it might be better to have to extra equip just in case. #goingforbroke lol
Sponsored