Advertisement

Base Model Bronco Thread 🐎

NCOBX

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Agree with this as well... Most of the time, people that I know that use lockers is because the terrain is so uneven, and there is not enough articulation to keep both wheels on the ground, and they get caught with a spinning wheel up in the air with the one on the ground refusing to spin.

Also agree that if your worried about having locking differentials, just go ahead and get the beefed up axles as well... I think the Bronco platform looks very plain under 35" tires...I think 35"s are where it should be...my H2 had stock 315/70/17's which is considered a 35" tire and it rode like a Cadillac on the highway, I pulled my old boat at a 100mph one year from Spring Break and it was smooth as can be... My Bronco will be getting 37"s right when it gets home
I just put 4.56 gearing into my H2 it makes the 37s feel like 32s going down the road. Probably should have went 4.88s but I’m well at an advantage over factory gears so I’m happy, plus fuel economy around 13.5 is amazing.

There’s nothing wrong with getting the base Bronco and adding lockers aftermarket, honestly it also gives you a chance to re gear.
Unlrss the Sasquatch pack is much cheaper than expected it may make more sense just to go aftermarket for lockers.

Advertisement

tmobileguy

Base
First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 F-150, '05 F-350, '13 JKU, '11 Jag XJL, '11 BMW 740LI, '05 Bentley GT
I just put 4.56 gearing into my H2 it makes the 37s feel like 32s going down the road. Probably should have went 4.88s but I’m well at an advantage over factory gears so I’m happy, plus fuel economy around 13.5 is amazing.

There’s nothing wrong with getting the base Bronco and adding lockers aftermarket, honestly it also gives you a chance to re gear.
Unlrss the Sasquatch pack is much cheaper than expected it may make more sense just to go aftermarket for lockers.
I guess I'm just the minority and think that the Sasquatch package will come in around $3995... I think for that kind of money, If you are looking to do minimal upgrades you are better off with the factory built package that they are offering....I think people are discounting how bad ass those shocks alone are and how expensive reservoir shocks are... I know Fox reservoir shocks will set you back minimum $1500 at discount pricing for their entry level stuff....and $4k for the primo ones....and King....pffff....forget about it lol

NCOBX

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
I guess I'm just the minority and think that the Sasquatch package will come in around $3995... I think for that kind of money, If you are looking to do minimal upgrades you are better off with the factory built package that they are offering....I think people are discounting how bad ass those shocks alone are and how expensive reservoir shocks are... I know Fox reservoir shocks will set you back minimum $1500 at discount pricing for their entry level stuff....and $4k for the primo ones....and King....pffff....forget about it lol
If it’s only $4k it would be a killer deal and you definitely couldn’t do it aftermarket at that cost. $5k is probably quite reasonable, I don’t think it’s worth it at $6k.

Garbone

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 06 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Eh, I would prefer the 2.7 with auto and lockers instead of the squatch. Would like to run 30s and upgrading to 33s. Wife and little one does beach day with friends once a week and I don't see her adjusting air pressure even on those times sections of the beach is restricted to 4x4 only. I suspect squatch with 2.3 and manual will be pushing the base near $35k.
All this said you can get the FX4 package on the Ranger XL is only $1300. Maybe I can fit the big feet in with an auto trans and still be under $35k.

We will see what we can do next month.

tokyo

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
I actually use rear locker for sport mode full throttle launches on the street.

With TCS fully off the 2.7 will light up the rears no problem. Without e-locker it’s a long single line .. with e-locker it is 2 short lines. Also is fun doing donuts.

since the truck is 4x2 the e-locker helps on off-road stuff too. Amazes me what is possible with a locked rear end.

Not 4x4 level but a lot more capable then people think and covers 95% of MY off road needs. An additional wheel up front helping out once in awhile will take that to 100%.

YMMV of course, we all will use them differently, But an open front diff is fine for my use. I don’t plan to run any bigger than 33’s and most of the time will be in 2H anyway. if it gets sketchy I lock the rear. If I really get myself in a pickle then into 4H until I get out, then back in 2H.

Mud, snow, sand and long gravel ascents are where extra help from a front wheel will be welcome though.. a locked rear can be exciting in the snow. Modern TCS does an amazing job of keeping things civil however.

It is so awesome we can all build it into what we Want for our intended usage!

I hope that an FX4 type non Sasquatch rear locking diff/skid plate package is available on base eventually.

toystwo

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Offering a stripped down loss leader is a rare bird.
Except it’s not stripped! It’s got cruise, power windows and locks, LED headlights, Apple CarPlay and keyless start - all standard. Amazing to me the amount of standard equipment on the Base.

The 2dr BB is $5k more and you get bigger aluminum wheels/tires, leather wrapped wheel/gearshift, fog lights, tint and a few other really minor items. And of course the ability to add options not available to the base. It’s the worst value step-up package I’ve ever seen.

jaspercasidino

Base
First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M3, 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale
Vehicle Showcase
The 2dr BB is $5k more and you get bigger aluminum wheels/tires, leather wrapped wheel/gearshift, fog lights, tint and a few other really minor items. And of course the ability to add options not available to the base. It’s the worst value step-up package I’ve ever seen.
Every time I read through the Big Bend features, I keep thinking I’m missing something! So expensive!

First Name
Wilmer
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
I hqd a moment of weakness, and reserved a 2 door first edition on launch night. After the euphoria faded, I remembered the Bronco of my youth, the base model is the true Bronco - so I reserved a base. I plan to buy both, and keep the base as plain as vanilla as possible with locking differentials and nothing else.

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
I hqd a moment of weakness, and reserved a 2 door first edition on launch night. After the euphoria faded, I remembered the Bronco of my youth, the base model is the true Bronco - so I reserved a base. I plan to buy both, and keep the base as plain as vanilla as possible with locking differentials and nothing else.
Yep, my 72 is as bare bones as it gets. Power steering, power door locks, power windows, cruise control, 8" touchscreen, don't have to get out to lock the hubs, this base model is a darn near luxury vehicle.

da_jokker

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Yeah it seems to me that Ford did something to make the "Base" as inexpensive as possible to be under that 30K mark so they can claim it. I think that is why the price is so steep when you jump up to the next model.

I wonder if the mystery is not in the Standard Package... I can't seem to find it right now, but even though each trim has a "Standard"... the code for it is different so I'm thinking there are some differences not know at this time.

Think I found it... Base gets 101A but BB gets 221A.. don't know what those differences are or if they simply translate into those minimal items you guys have already brought up.

tmobileguy

Base
First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except it’s not stripped! It’s got cruise, power windows and locks, LED headlights, Apple CarPlay and keyless start - all standard. Amazing to me the amount of standard equipment on the Base.

Yeah, I thought so too...Enough so that I started a thread about a week asking why anyone would buy the 2dr BB over the Base at the 5k premium....makes no sense to me....

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Lancer
Yeah, I thought so too...Enough so that I started a thread about a week asking why anyone would buy the 2dr BB over the Base at the 5k premium....makes no sense to me....
I'm not knowledgeable enough on all the research for upgrades or the diy. Will bite the bullet to go with Big Bend. Just want to get in and drive with some of the creature comforts.

musicguyusa

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph
@toystwo and @tmobileguy, you both are correct in that the Base model is extremely well equipped. So much so that I am rethinking my initial decision to get a Black Diamond. I am seriously considering a Base Trim instead.

If I do select the Base, I will add the Sasquatch package as it offers almost everything that would be needed for off road use. I will also add the Auxiliary switches. I know I will have to order the automatic transmission; my only decision is which engine to get.

The three items I will want are rock rails, better protection underneath, and more useful bumpers. I know the HD modular bumper is an option and there is debate as to if the rock rails are attached to the body or frame.

My question is this...will the aftermarket be able to supply these items in a reasonable time frame (under one year)? Jeeps have numerous options available; some of these are better than the factory pieces (think front and rear bumpers for instance). Of these three items, are there any where I should get the factory pieces? What is the difference between the bash plate and the upgraded bash plate anyway?

tmobileguy

Base
First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@toystwo and @tmobileguy, you both are correct in that the Base model is extremely well equipped. So much so that I am rethinking my initial decision to get a Black Diamond. I am seriously considering a Base Trim instead.

If I do select the Base, I will add the Sasquatch package as it offers almost everything that would be needed for off road use. I will also add the Auxiliary switches. I know I will have to order the automatic transmission; my only decision is which engine to get.

The three items I will want are rock rails, better protection underneath, and more useful bumpers. I know the HD modular bumper is an option and there is debate as to if the rock rails are attached to the body or frame.

My question is this...will the aftermarket be able to supply these items in a reasonable time frame (under one year)? Jeeps have numerous options available; some of these are better than the factory pieces (think front and rear bumpers for instance). Of these three items, are there any where I should get the factory pieces? What is the difference between the bash plate and the upgraded bash plate anyway?
Oh, I think the aftermarket world will have a ton of stuff ready to go at launch. There is SOOO much money in the aftermarket add on's from 3rd party vendors that they will not miss the boat on this one...and the things you are talking about, bumpers, plates, rails, bars, lights, etc etc...that's the stuff that is easy to modify to create to fit the bronco because they are fairly standard...they just have to re-design the mounting brackets...

Advertisement

Advertisement