Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Greetings,

Historically, Kenwood has always been my go to, but have also included Alpine and Kicker into the mix as time has gone by. This time I wanted to try something different and decided to go with Infinity. I wanted to keep it simple at first, and build off of that if i feel i need to down the road. Here is what I went with:

1 x Infinity BassLink SM 2
2 x pair Infinity Reference 4032cfx
2 x Infinity Kappa 63XF

The total cost was $694, and I feel this was a pretty decent upgrade. With the base/stock system I felt it sounded ok, but it really needed some depth. there was no bass and it felt like all the sound was from the dash. However, between the Kappas and the Reference speakers, they really improved not only the clarity but they also fill the cabin very well. I can now hear solid stereo effect and sound depth as the rear pods also came to life. The SM2 does a pretty good job of filling in the bottom end.

I initially installed 300hz bass blockers, but I ended up taking them out since the Infinity's have pretty good response/sensitivity, and the SM2 operates @ 35-150hz. With them in place i felt there was a bit of a flat spot in the low range. I feel the overall sound was better without them in this case.

I did have a bit more of a challenge than expected trying to find a decent location for the SM2. I wanted to put it under the rear seats, but it just wasn't going to work out the way i envisioned. Under the fronts wasn't an option either, so I ended up mounting to the driver side of the cargo area (I'll post a pic when I get a chance). Not my first choice, but it seems to be working out fine there.

Overall the sound is pretty good and I'm happy with the upgrade, although down the road I may add some sort of EQ/DSP so I can fine tune the sound (possibly even an amp). However, it will definately keep me content for a while, allowing me to focus efforts, and funds, on other modifications. Overall it took me a few hours total to get it all done. None of it was hard, just a little time consuming.
Sponsored

b1lf

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Greetings,

Historically, Kenwood has always been my go to, but have also included Alpine and Kicker into the mix as time has gone by. This time I wanted to try something different and decided to go with Infinity. I wanted to keep it simple at first, and build off of that if i feel i need to down the road. Here is what I went with:

1 x Infinity BassLink SM 2
2 x pair Infinity Reference 4032cfx
2 x Infinity Kappa 63XF

The total cost was $694, and I feel this was a pretty decent upgrade. With the base/stock system I felt it sounded ok, but it really needed some depth. there was no bass and it felt like all the sound was from the dash. However, between the Kappas and the Reference speakers, they really improved not only the clarity but they also fill the cabin very well. I can now hear solid stereo effect and sound depth as the rear pods also came to life. The SM2 does a pretty good job of filling in the bottom end.

I initially installed 300hz bass blockers, but I ended up taking them out since the Infinity's have pretty good response/sensitivity, and the SM2 operates @ 35-150hz. With them in place i felt there was a bit of a flat spot in the low range. I feel the overall sound was better without them in this case.

I did have a bit more of a challenge than expected trying to find a decent location for the SM2. I wanted to put it under the rear seats, but it just wasn't going to work out the way i envisioned. Under the fronts wasn't an option either, so I ended up mounting to the driver side of the cargo area (I'll post a pic when I get a chance). Not my first choice, but it seems to be working out fine there.

Overall the sound is pretty good and I'm happy with the upgrade, although down the road I may add some sort of EQ/DSP so I can fine tune the sound (possibly even an amp). However, it will definately keep me content for a while, allowing me to focus efforts, and funds, on other modifications. Overall it took me a few hours total to get it all done. None of it was hard, just a little time consuming.

5osq1l.jpg

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy to report after 4 late nights working away in the driveway the Bronco now has a great sound system!!

I didn't go crazy with my speaker selection, using kicker CS Series for the 4" and 6.5". There are better speakers out there for sure, but for a sound stage that in my case is open air as often as I can have the top off and the windows down, they provide a plenty accurate and full listening experience!

For the rear speakers I took a page out of the Wrangler/UTV owners playbook and went with a pair of 6.5" marine wake tower speakers. Went back and forth on this one for a while because I'm someone that likes to keep things looking factory, but in the end I'm so happy I went this route! They are more than powerful enough to break through the wind noise and push crisp clear audio up to the front seats!

I 3D printed some mounting adapters so I could still take advantage of the factory brackets and so far it's working great. Working on finding a thread locker that plays nice with PLA for the bolts and then they'll be good for hopefully years to come.

Lastly I was going to mount the two amps where the factory B&O sub and DSP would be, but ended up going with the much easier to access cargo area. It was easy to mount everything and using some spacers for the "load floor" that's held down by the tie down points in the rear I had plants of room to run my wiring.

Ford Bronco Base Sound System Upgrade/Build 5osq1l

These 6.5" marine wake tower speakers seem like a better option for people who donā€™t want a sound bar to block the entire rear view. Once you finalize the design/material (if you havenā€™t already), have you thought about selling the adapter? Iā€™d definitely buy that instead of rigging something up or paying a local shop to make it from scratch.

philjmatt

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've done alright with the PLA so far, printed a second version with more infill and just had to tighten them after some initial shrinking of the plastic! But I think I might still get them printed in ABS from one of the online print farms and test that out, but would be happy to "bring them to market" of the demand is there and the material holds up!

They definitely alot for good visibility out the back too!
Ford Bronco Base Sound System Upgrade/Build IMG_20210905_200351~2

Last edited:

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Before you go spending money on after market speakers do this old trick.

The speakers (especially the kick panel speakers) aren't that bad.

Just some generic butyl sound deadening. I would say it doubled the bass response of the OEM units.

ehh, Doubt. I had a 14 JKU with mopar kickers (soundbar, kick panels and 46KST tweets) 10 inch alpine sub, Poly filled all the speakers except tweeters and sub. Then I got 4 cases of Killmat (dynamat)ā€¦ did the entire vehicle floor, doors, speaker pods and that didn't do a whole lot. Tbh, it wasn't hard but I never want to do it again.

Sponsored

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ehh, Doubt. I had a 14 JKU with mopar kickers (soundbar, kick panels and 46KST tweets) 10 inch alpine sub, Poly filled all the speakers except tweeters and sub. Then I got 4 cases of Killmat (dynamat)ā€¦ did the entire vehicle floor, doors, speaker pods and that didn't do a whole lot. Tbh, it wasn't hard but I never want to do it again.
Give it a try on the bronco!

The kick panel speakers are plastic on metal with a gap. Definitely helps. Most other trucks I have had there is at least some kind of gasket.

Last edited:

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Give it a try on the bronco!

The kick panel speakers are plastic on metal with a gap. Definitely helps. Most other trucks I have had there is at least some kind of gasket.
Maybe... I think the best improvement was the poly fill

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've done alright with the PLA so far, printed a second version with more infill and just had to tighten them after some initial shrinking of the plastic! But I think I might still get them printed in ABS from one of the online print farms and test that out, but would be happy to "being then to market" of the demand is there and the material holds up!

They definitely alot for good visibility out the back too!
I need more photos of this setup!

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe... I think the best improvement was the poly fill
Ideally, if you can get all the enclosures/speaker pods sealed up, then poly fill may help too but they would have to be completely sealed. Most components are designed to work in an infinite baffle, though.

Iā€™ve decided to go simple on this stereo. Just clean up the factory stuff and I added a small amp/sub. Installing and tweaking with everything is all the fun anyway. My old truck I spent so much time on getting everything ā€œperfectā€. I had so much equipment in there that I needed a truck just to haul it. :)

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve been going down the audio path and plan on doing everything in a few steps.

So far Iā€™ve done the following:

Changed dash speakers to Kicker KS 4ā€ with PAC BB-1PR Bass Blockers

Dynamat in the kick panels and replaced speakers with Sony XS 6.5ā€

I didnā€™t even bother with the pod speakers because I plan on switching to wakeboard speakers (once a viable mounting option exists) and really want at least 6.5ā€ speakers on the roll bar.

Itā€™s made a huge difference in clarity and a bit more mid-bass, but still totally needs an amp.

Iā€™ll be adding the Kicker 47key200.4 to run the fronts and rear wakeboard speakers.

Iā€™m trying to hold out until after I do my seat delete, but will also be adding a sub with a amp as well.

Sponsored

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve been going down the audio path and plan on doing everything in a few steps.

So far Iā€™ve done the following:

Changed dash speakers to Kicker KS 4ā€ with PAC BB-1PR Bass Blockers

Dynamat in the kick panels and replaced speakers with Sony XS 6.5ā€

I didnā€™t even bother with the pod speakers because I plan on switching to wakeboard speakers (once a viable mounting option exists) and really want at least 6.5ā€ speakers on the roll bar.

Itā€™s made a huge difference in clarity and a bit more mid-bass, but still totally needs an amp.

Iā€™ll be adding the Kicker 47key200.4 to run the fronts and rear wakeboard speakers.

Iā€™m trying to hold out until after I do my seat delete, but will also be adding a sub with a amp as well.
Honestly.. I like the pod idea, I'm waiting for a company to come out with a new sound bar for the bronco.. Those back speakers are a joke... Company called American sound bar makes them for jeeps I asked about the bronco they said nah fam... šŸ˜¢
Ford Bronco Base Sound System Upgrade/Build BCC8E686-D74F-4ABB-948C-0889686A62B4

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There was a video of someone removing the front dash and they accessed the stereo face.. If I recall correctly that face is a half inch deep I'm not aware of any aftermarket stereo that is that shallow.. In my jku I have the alpine 650 and that's not nearly as shallow.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a video of someone removing the front dash and they accessed the stereo face.. If I recall correctly that face is a half inch deep I'm not aware of any aftermarket stereo that is that shallow.. In my jku I have the alpine 650 and that's not nearly as shallow.

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly.. I like the pod idea, I'm waiting for a company to come out with a new sound bar for the bronco.. Those back speakers are a joke... Company called American sound bar makes them for jeeps I asked about the bronco they said nah fam... šŸ˜¢
Ford Bronco Base Sound System Upgrade/Build BCC8E686-D74F-4ABB-948C-0889686A62B4
Iā€™d think that someone in the aftermarket has to come up with something. It seems like itā€™d be a no brainer to offer slightly larger pod enclosures that work with the existing mounting options while offering the ability for 6.5ā€ or even 6x9ā€™s.
Sponsored