North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Here are closeups of your photos to show coil spring spacing, do these look correct as far as which one is Banlands and which one is WT, FE & Sasquatch?

Badlands close spring spacing:
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences Pittguy 3 close coil spacin

WT, FE & Sasquatch wider spring spacing
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences Pittguy 4 wide coil spacin
Sponsored

Last edited:

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can we just get someone that’s going to these showings to just take one off and disassemble it and get pics and measurements? I need more info if I’m ever gonna get anything designed for it 😉

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting comment by itcysquatch about perch. Pittguy 1 seems to have a higher perch than pittguy 2. Maybe that is the difference from BL to Sas? It seems perch would be an easy way to get a little lift?
Y’all are getting fooled by the reservoir orientation. Focus on where the reservoir mounts to the shock body, not which end is up...

If anything, the squatch perch looks lower to me.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Y’all are getting fooled by the reservoir orientation. Focus on where the reservoir mounts to the shock body, not which end is up...

Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences 1618069963642

I mean the lower mounting bushing (irrelevant of the reservoir). Pittguy 1 seems higher than Pittguy 2

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I aligned and scaled these two photos to try and get an apples to apples comparison of the Badlands vs the WT, FE & SAS shocks.

Disclaimer: These photos were taken at different angles and heights so it is difficult to get a direct comparison. Further, as previously stated, these may be different generations of development shocks as can be seen with the two different reservoir mounting positions.

Based on the above, it seems there may be about a 0.3" difference in height between the two, with SAS being taller. This is close to the story some Ford reps have said there is a 0.4" difference in lift between the Badlands and WT, FE and Sasquatch.

Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences Bilstein BL vs WT FE SAS 1

Sponsored
OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

New photos of the stock suspension coil overs @MVP was able to get at the Los Angeles Galpin Ford Bronco Event.

c14ca435-334a-441a-8f20-db8d921dbe05-jpeg.jpg

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences 20210412_063242
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences 20210412_063215
FWIW Here's what the 5100's on F150 look like. Mine are adjusted on max height (3rd ring position, which is hidden from view by the collar/perch). You can see the two other lower grooves.
IF it were adjusted onto one of the lower grooves, it's possible all three positions would be hidden.

PS Also wanted to add, compressing these things with a borrowed AutoZone spring compressor is an exercise not for the faint of heart. Its almost literally like setting a bear trap. The amount of force on those jack screws pulling the springs down in order to relax the collar is INCREDIBLE and has a severe pucker factor while working your hands around that thing. I'll never adjust mine myself again, I would probably bring it to a front end shop that has the machine for compressing these things.

Last edited:

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences DD2A4639-B688-40F7-9054-F82B264F1E93
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences DD2A4639-B688-40F7-9054-F82B264F1E93
FWIW Here's what the 5100's on F150 look like. Mine are adjusted on max height (3rd ring position, which is hidden from view by the collar/perch). You can see the two other lower grooves.
IF it were adjusted onto one of the lower grooves, it's possible all three positions would be hidden.

PS Also wanted to add, compressing these things with a borrowed AutoZone spring compressor is an exercise not for the faint of heart. Its almost literally like setting a bear trap. The amount of force on those jack screws pulling the springs down in order to relax the collar is INCREDIBLE and has a severe pucker factor while working your hands around that thing. I'll never adjust mine myself again, I would probably bring it to a front end shop that has the machine for compressing these things.
For more reference here is my Chevy Colorado with 6112 on front and 5160 rear. My front is on the third groove from the bottom out of ten grooves.

Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences 7AA00D4A-0CC6-4E81-B0E9-5A0E1DD6BE78

Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences 11A4F31E-C355-47EE-87C7-5EF0F1F34BF1

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've said this before, but I thought I'd add it to this thread. I talked with a suspension engineer that I saw here in Denver last year when they were conducting all the testing in the mountains. He explicitly said "there are only two suspensions, the HOSS (std B-OB) & the HOSS with position sensitive dampers (BL-FE & Sas). The BL gets the suspension from the Sasquatch package." Knowing what goes into the design of a suspension for a vehicle like this, I cannot imagine someone deciding to create a third suspension setup that is only .3-.4" different from another one. I also wouldn't trust that the marketing folks that are taking these things all over the country actually know. They get spec sheets and learn to repeat the information printed on them.

The heights listed by model in the spec sheets is where the .3-.4 difference came from, but I honestly think that it's either the difference in MIC top (std on WT) and soft top (std on BL) or the fact that 35" tires and 33" tires are not nominally 35" & 33". Maybe it's both, maybe it's neither.

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've said this before, but I thought I'd add it to this thread. I talked with a suspension engineer that I saw here in Denver last year when they were conducting all the testing in the mountains. He explicitly said "there are only two suspensions, the HOSS (std B-OB) & the HOSS with position sensitive dampers (BL-FE & Sas). The BL gets the suspension from the Sasquatch package." Knowing what goes into the design of a suspension for a vehicle like this, I cannot imagine someone deciding to create a third suspension setup that is only .3-.4" different from another one. I also wouldn't trust that the marketing folks that are taking these things all over the country actually know. They get spec sheets and learn to repeat the information printed on them.

The heights listed by model in the spec sheets is where the .3-.4 difference came from, but I honestly think that it's either the difference in MIC top (std on WT) and soft top (std on BL) or the fact that 35" tires and 33" tires are not nominally 35" & 33". Maybe it's both, maybe it's neither.
I've been silently creeping these type threads, but I agree there is VERY likely only 2 versions. Commonality is the name of the game in mass production. Everyone thinking there is 3+ different shock/strut combos, and 3+ spring rate packages is just silly and wouldn't make bean counter sense from papa Ford.
Sponsored