North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've said this before, but I thought I'd add it to this thread. I talked with a suspension engineer that I saw here in Denver last year when they were conducting all the testing in the mountains. He explicitly said "there are only two suspensions, the HOSS (std B-OB) & the HOSS with position sensitive dampers (BL-FE & Sas). The BL gets the suspension from the Sasquatch package." Knowing what goes into the design of a suspension for a vehicle like this, I cannot imagine someone deciding to create a third suspension setup that is only .3-.4" different from another one. I also wouldn't trust that the marketing folks that are taking these things all over the country actually know. They get spec sheets and learn to repeat the information printed on them.

The heights listed by model in the spec sheets is where the .3-.4 difference came from, but I honestly think that it's either the difference in MIC top (std on WT) and soft top (std on BL) or the fact that 35" tires and 33" tires are not nominally 35" & 33". Maybe it's both, maybe it's neither.
I've been silently creeping these type threads, but I agree there is VERY likely only 2 versions. Commonality is the name of the game in mass production. Everyone thinking there is 3+ different shock/strut combos, and 3+ spring rate packages is just silly and wouldn't make bean counter sense from papa Ford.
I cannot disagree with either of your logic, although when have seen more that one Ford rep wrong. Looking at the photos we have to date, two examples of Badlands and two examples of Sasquatch, there is in fact a difference between them. Could this be due to pre-production units being used, maybe.

Badlands #1 - Pittguy 3
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences Pittguy 3 Badlands

Badlands #2 - Jdyount 1
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences Jdyount 1 Badlands

Sasquatch #1 - 618TRVLWILD 2
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences 618TRVLWILD 2 SAS.JPG

Sasquatch #2 - Pittguy 4
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences Pittguy 4 SAS

Side by Side Comparison of Spring Gauge and Spacing
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences Badlands vs SAS Springs 1
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've said this before, but I thought I'd add it to this thread. I talked with a suspension engineer that I saw here in Denver last year when they were conducting all the testing in the mountains. He explicitly said "there are only two suspensions, the HOSS (std B-OB) & the HOSS with position sensitive dampers (BL-FE & Sas). The BL gets the suspension from the Sasquatch package." Knowing what goes into the design of a suspension for a vehicle like this, I cannot imagine someone deciding to create a third suspension setup that is only .3-.4" different from another one. I also wouldn't trust that the marketing folks that are taking these things all over the country actually know. They get spec sheets and learn to repeat the information printed on them.

The heights listed by model in the spec sheets is where the .3-.4 difference came from, but I honestly think that it's either the difference in MIC top (std on WT) and soft top (std on BL) or the fact that 35" tires and 33" tires are not nominally 35" & 33". Maybe it's both, maybe it's neither.
You’re forgetting weight differences too. Heavy bash plates, rock rails, disconnect and steel bumpers, vs Wildtrak w/o them but adding 2.7 and 10AT could account for some variation.

The disconnect alone on my JKU Rubicon requires a heavier spring on the passenger side or a 10mm spacer.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Knowing what goes into the design of a suspension for a vehicle like this, I cannot imagine someone deciding to create a third suspension setup that is only .3-.4" different from another one. I also wouldn't trust that the marketing folks that are taking these things all over the country actually know. They get spec sheets and learn to repeat the information printed on them.
It may be hard to imagine, but it's a pretty simple change. I read that Jeep uses more than a dozen different springs for Wrangler, based on config....Bronco could certainly use 3, and 3 different shock lengths.

I measured the difference on a Badlands sitting next to a Sasquatched BD, and the difference in lift was well more than .4" (it was exactly 1") between those two trucks. I measured 3x, hub to fender without flare. Those suspensions were not the same. Maybe they were pre-production....but I doubt it. It would be more unlikely that Ford would put the same suspension in a truck with 33s that they put into a truck with 35s....they want the smallest lift possible that works with a give tire height and still performs.

Ford rep after Ford rep has said there is a difference, including the brand manager. It's hard to go on the word of one designer a year ago in a conversation that could have been mis-intrepreted, when actual measurements and Ford statements today contradict it.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford uses different springs across the same line different models all the time and is the easiest way to control ride height / drivability.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I cannot disagree with either of your logic, although when have seen more that one Ford rep wrong. Looking at the photos we have to date, two examples of Badlands and two examples of Sasquatch, there is in fact a difference between them. Could this be due to pre-production units being used, maybe.

Badlands #1 - Pittguy 3

Badlands #2 - Jdyount 1

Sasquatch #1 - 618TRVLWILD 2

Sasquatch #2 - Pittguy 4

Side by Side Comparison of Spring Gauge and Spacing
So what I am looking at is the color of those spring tabs which are different, therefore the springs are different. But if it is anything like the Jeeps, it can be different between the same model with different curb weights. What we need is pictures of the spring tab codes for two equally built Badlands, one with Squatch and one without.

Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences Badlands vs SAS Springs 1

Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Couple additional pics I took at Ricart.

Non Sasquatched 4 door Badlands.
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences BL Shock

Sasquatched 4 door First Edition.
Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences SQ Shock

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Bilstein HOSS & Position Sensitive Dampers Part Numbers & Differences SQ Shock
FWIW Here's what the 5100's on F150 look like. Mine are adjusted on max height (3rd ring position, which is hidden from view by the collar/perch). You can see the two other lower grooves.
IF it were adjusted onto one of the lower grooves, it's possible all three positions would be hidden.

PS Also wanted to add, compressing these things with a borrowed AutoZone spring compressor is an exercise not for the faint of heart. Its almost literally like setting a bear trap. The amount of force on those jack screws pulling the springs down in order to relax the collar is INCREDIBLE and has a severe pucker factor while working your hands around that thing. I'll never adjust mine myself again, I would probably bring it to a front end shop that has the machine for compressing these things.
About PS: I have thought of this as an easier way to add puck lift or replace coil over without having to release the upper ball joint. Your experience gives me second thoughts and a good perspective of that idea. Thanks

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Good theory but each of the examples shown have different last three letters.

Sponsored
OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Got a couple codes today from a showing.

Both models were Badlands (4 door non tow package not Sasquatch)

2.7:
Shock F4-BE5-M968-W7
MB3C-18045-ARH

Spring code F
Spring P/N MB3C-5310-AFE

2.3:
Shock F4-BE5-M967-W6
MB3C-18045-APH

Spring code P
Spring P/N MB3C-5310-APA
Excellent, thank you, those are the first spring codes reported. As we suspected they confirm different spings for the different engines.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@North7 I don't know if you saw my other posts but I have information to add. I wasn't cool enough to get pictures and part numbers from the roadshow BD and OBX but I did take measurements. Both were 22.0" from hub to top of wheel arch in the rear and 21.0" in the front. Both had 6.0" of clearance from top of rear axle tube to frame - just like the Chicago roadshow BL was measured at.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@North7 I don't know if you saw my other posts but I have information to add. I wasn't cool enough to get pictures and part numbers from the roadshow BD and OBX but I did take measurements. Both were 22.0" from hub to top of wheel arch in the rear and 21.0" in the front. Both had 6.0" of clearance from top of rear axle tube to frame - just like the Chicago roadshow BL was measured at.
Excellent info, thank you.
Sponsored