Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just tossing around ideas, but it could have been the way it was transported. I can't remember what vehicle, but years ago I thought I read an article about a new vehicle(possibly Raptor?) that the way they were loaded/transported had to be modified because it was causing improper loads on the drive train. If I remember correctly, I think the new GT500s have to be transported/loaded only on certain spots of the car haulers because of some issue. Make sure they note how and where it was transported when they file the warranty claim.
You may be correct.
My Alfa Romeo used the following parts to secure the suspension during transport

Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L bars
Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the way you think. I would not have though about the transport. Thanks
Better ship them with every part in bubble wrap then.

This is a tough off road vehicle, not a dozen eggs... My God...

RangerRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry about your bad break. Hopefully this is a one off issue. I picked up a new 2017 Mustang GT back in 2017 and it threw a rod in less than 24 hours. I was furious but thankfully ford made it right and I never had anymore issues after that. Nothing like being excited to bring home a new vehicle only to have it sit in a repair shop for a few weeks (mine was there for almost a month!) Hopefully yours will be back up and running shortly!

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Let me throw this out there, the OP states he has been off-roading 30+ years and we all have been waiting for this truck forever. Not likely he took it out first week and attempted to destroy his rig or 4 low donuts, especially with the scarcity of spare parts. I hope it get fixed soon and no one else is forced to ride in a tow truck home this soon after delivery!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Homebowlking

Homebowlking

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry about your bad break. Hopefully this is a one off issue. I picked up a new 2017 Mustang GT back in 2017 and it threw a rod in less than 24 hours. I was furious but thankfully ford made it right and I never had anymore issues after that. Nothing like being excited to bring home a new vehicle only to have it sit in a repair shop for a few weeks (mine was there for almost a month!) Hopefully yours will be back up and running shortly!
Cheers im hoping for a one of

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a feeling there's more to the story. Both axles locked and doing donuts?
Still shouldn't break. If you can go on rocks with both axles locked, which it is designed to do, then you should be able to do donuts on dirt all day long. I've seen new cv axles go bad, and I've seen new cv axles that didn't have any lube in them. Hope this was just a defective part. BTW, we've seen axles break when the diff isn't locked from wheelspin when the tire is in the air and then come down on a hard surface. This was flat, and the OP said the diffs weren't locked. On flat dirt? Shouldn't have broken.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Is there a way to avoid that lock and binding ya think? Could there be some that we can mistakenly do to cause this?

We can always do something to bind an axle and break it, but it will be quite a bit more than gassing it on flat dirt. Imagine being on a rock trail with both lockers locked, turning on the hard surface and going up ledges and over boulders. There is binding between the tires and axles all the time. Axles typically break from binding a tire in a hole, up against a ledge, binding/squeezing against a couple rocks, wheel speed then hitting a hard surface, etc. Once folks start taking Broncos out on trails, and putting bigger tires on them, there will be broken axles. But not what the OP was doing. The typical broken axle will be from putting 37's on a non SAS/BL Bronco that has the M190 front end. Upgraded front CV axles are already in the aux parts catalog for the M210, and you know RCV is going to come out with axles for it.

With 40" stickies and f&r steer, that's why I have 300M axle shafts f&r on my rock buggy, at 2k per side...X4. :oops:

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Photos of break down and gravel parking lot that it happened and got towed from

2021 Bronco broken front axle cv joint.jpg

20210719_205410.jpg

20210719_205414.jpg
that looks more like hard pack gravel, rather than loose gravel.. lockers engaged in a tight turn, there might not have been enough wheel slip. also sometimes if there is load on the drive train, the lockers don't disengage instantly. also in the initial post there was some mention of wheel cameras... there might have been attempts to perform tasks which might be outside of the design parameters... we need more tick-toc videos... my vote is operator error which will be repaired under warranty.

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I already planned to upgrade my half shafts on my BL already.

Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Better ship them with every part in bubble wrap then.

This is a tough off road vehicle, not a dozen eggs... My God...
Like I said earlier, you can hang a wheel on the IFS all day long.

Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L Screenshot_20210721-205707_Samsung Internet

But when all 4 wheels are strapped down to a transporter and hit a few big dips in the road, you have 5k+ pounds heading up, and the trailer trying to pull it back down at the same time.. That's what causes the issues.
Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L 2021 Bronco delivery delivered

The GT350s and GT500s are shipped with spacers in the suspensions that are removed when doing the Post Delivery Inspections. They're to prevent overextending and bottoming out.

Ford Bronco Broken front axle at CV joint on my Bronco Badlands 4-Door 2.7L 1619917943035

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After one report? Yeah, you're mostly alone. Randomness happens everywhere and things that shouldn't break will break in every vehicle on the road.

If we don't hear about another one, easy to chalk up as a defective part and pure chance.

If more front axles start breaking, Ford has a problem...
Yah your right they probably have delivered at least 17 of them. One of them is bound to break.
Ford know most no one is watching...

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yah your right they probably have delivered at least 17 of them. One of them is bound to break.
Ford know most no one is watching...
I'm sure Ford is looking at this closely. I'm sure Ford isn't just writing this off.

None of that changes the fact that it's the only incidence we're aware of so far of the thousands of Broncos that have been delivered, including a couple dozen that are doing Off Roadeo and media testers.

Not saying it doesn't suck, not saying it should happen. But I can acknowledge that until there are more of the same issue, there's no reason to jump to any conclusion beyond at least one faulty CV joint made it into a Bronco.
Sponsored