Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Dec 23rd started off with a wonderful, wet morning in Hollister Hills OHV park, but on the way home, it turned ugly quick. Came to a stop at a light, the engine abruptly quit, which is odd since I had engaged the off button for the auto stop/start for the engine. I tried to restart the engine and it sound like only two cylinders were getting spark. shut it all off, tried to restart, nothing. So I was towed to our local Ford dealership. a few hours went by then I got the call. It sucked in a valve and destroyed a piston. The dealer took pictures and is asking Ford for authorization to replace the engine. I had a whopping 2,024 miles on it when this happened in stop and go traffic. Heartbroken to say the least.

bronco towed.jpeg

rain trail 1.jpeg
when was your blend date? I know you pick it up on Oct. but it still could be an earlier build that was on dirty mountain. Also, regular or premium gas? Eco or normal mode?

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 engine bomb or 2.3 brake bomb. Choose your poison wisely. 😂

Seems like Ford is fixing them and trying to take care of folks. Hate it is happening and hope all get them resolved.

I’m sure Ford is taking all issues seriously but not surprising that there is no word. Engine failure and brake issues can be difficult to diagnose especially if they have issues consistently recreating the failures in a test environment.

I’ve worked on a team with a turbo upgrade and tune issue that we had failed engines. We spent a ton of time and money trying to diagnose but we were mostly at a loss. We replaced the ones that popped but took a long time to resolve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lance103222

Lance103222

First Edition
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F250, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
when was your blend date? I know you pick it up on Oct. but it still could be an earlier build that was on dirty mountain. Also, regular or premium gas? Eco or normal mode?
Premium fuel,,normal mode. Was told in September that was built.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yikes. My own 2.7 engine build date is uncomfortably close to this batch.

Sponsored

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really starting to wonder a little if the pause on 2.7L orders is due to Ford trying to figure this out?
Hate this happened to you!

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow, glad u got your Bronco, sorry for the problems. Hope your dealer does a good job on the replacement. I always question whether they put everything together right. But Ford will stand behind it. Keep the faith and “hang in there”

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What’s different about the 2.7 with the bronco vs the other vehicles it’s in that could be causing this?
you make it sound like about ever 2.7 getting blown ,they all can't be winners .

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 engine bomb or 2.3 brake bomb. Choose your poison wisely. 😂

Seems like Ford is fixing them and trying to take care of folks. Hate it is happening and hope all get them resolved.

I’m sure Ford is taking all issues seriously but not surprising that there is no word. Engine failure and brake issues can be difficult to diagnose especially if they have issues consistently recreating the issues in a test environment.

I’ve worked on a team with a turbo upgrade and tune issue that we had failed engines. We spent a ton of time and money trying to diagnose but we were mostly at a loss. We replaced the ones that popped but took a long time to resolve.
What’s the 2.3 issues?

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If Ford is gonna shove all the ecoboost BS down our throats, they can at least make them good.
In fairness, a bad batch of valves could happen to any engine, turbo or not. I just hope the failures keep happening before 3K miles so we can move past this worry early on.

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What’s different about the 2.7 with the bronco vs the other vehicles it’s in that could be causing this?
maybe mistakes made by the person(s) assembling it, the tools/equipment/programming to build it, IQC or supplier quality issues with the purchased materials, or environmental conditions.
Where and by who something is made matters as much as the original "recipe" for just about anything you can think of. Shanghai China is only 500 miles from the closest major city in Japan, but which country would you rather buy a car from?

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is this approaching recall levels?
If the sampling here is any indication, it sure is.

I'm a little bitter about this because I went through similar nonsense just a few years ago with a Focus RS. Lots of sweat worrying about the engine suddenly blowing itself up until Ford belatedly authorized a recall. It isn't fun to drive a vehicle under a cloud.

Not a Ford basher, but guys, come on.
Sponsored