Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I opted for a Wildtrak for the stronger rack, only to find out that I could've saved $10k by going with the Heritage Edition while not losing out on much other than some shocks..... I would've been disappointed after everything else that went on with the WT since the start.
IMO if you aren't looking at the 22.5+ Wildtrak for the suspension you are looking at the wrong model. Granted I came into even being actually interested and ready to buy weeks before the 3/27/23 order dates so I can imagine those who went WT without the HOSS 3.0 suspension is sorely disappointed. I really wanted the wash out floors just because the wheeling I do is very wet sandy but I figured getting something properly setup suspension wise was more valuable to me because this truck is supposed to my truck that "just works" and my other rig is the constant ever evolving project. That said those who do get the WT for the suspension should be very happy and impressed with the performance. I know I am.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just now realizing these were the Ford (and AHEM Bronco Nation) folks who were at the Offroad Connect in Amarillo a few months back.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone hear if someone broke the 3.0 rack and tie rods besides BroncBuster on 40s?
AFAIK the only ones to post here have been a couple of the more "hardcore" Braptor owners who have damaged their OE rack (which is virtually the same as Hoss 3.0 w/raptor tie rods). Those were the 1st ones to do the 74Weld. I have yet to hear of a Hoss 3.0 swap into a non-raptor that has failed...and I follow that thread pretty closely.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2023 Black Diamond (AdvancedTrac), 2.7, Mid Pkg, soft top, 4 door just finished production this week.

I have already declined it and ordered a 2024 Big Bend Sasquatch w/mid, bumper, aux switches, and signature lights.

My 2023 Black Diamond price = 49,822

My 2024 Big Bend Sasquatch price = 53,024

For just a bit over $3k - I lost the 2.7 (sucks) and rock rails, but gained: 12" screen, SAS (H.O.S.S. 3.0 steering), signature lights, and mod front bumper.

I definitely won in this case. might be one of the few.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are hoss 2.0 broncos able to upgrade to the hoss 3.0 tie rods only or do you have to have the upgraded steering rack too?
I believe so... maybe?... but even if you cannot, there is a lot of aftermarket options.

My personal opinion: You may not want to do that. I just have a set of spare tie-rods that I carry in the Bronco when I'm doing any rock-crawling.

Tie-rods are basically the "fuses" in the steering system. They are designed to break before the steering rack itself breaks, much like a fuse is designed to blow before the electronics behind the fuse are impacted. So if you reinforce the tie-rods, you may just be moving the weak link to the steering rack itself. And obviously the steering rack is a lot more expensive to replace than the tie rods. Not saying that you shouldn't replace the tie-rods, but just be aware of the potential downsides.

AFAIK the only ones to post here have been a couple of the more "hardcore" Braptor owners who have damaged their OE rack (which is virtually the same as Hoss 3.0 w/raptor tie rods). Those were the 1st ones to do the 74Weld. I have yet to hear of a Hoss 3.0 swap into a non-raptor that has failed...and I follow that thread pretty closely.
I saw a Wildtrak owner with broken tie rods being towed out of a trail by his buddy's Black Diamond. But... it was pretty clear he lifted his Wildtrak because that thing was gigantic compared to the Black Diamond. And I don't know if he bothered to correct or account for the geometry changes after lifting it.

I certainly haven't seen a factory HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak with broken tie rods.

Sponsored

Boostedblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2011 F-250, 2004 Ranger 2016 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe so... maybe?... but even if you cannot, there is a lot of aftermarket options.

My personal opinion: You may not want to do that. I just have a set of spare tie-rods that I carry in the Bronco when I'm doing any rock-crawling.

Tie-rods are basically the "fuses" in the steering system. They are designed to break before the steering rack itself breaks, much like a fuse is designed to blow before the electronics behind the fuse are impacted. So if you reinforce the tie-rods, you may just be moving the weak link to the steering rack itself. And obviously the steering rack is a lot more expensive to replace than the tie rods. Not saying that you shouldn't replace the tie-rods, but just be aware of the potential downsides.

I saw a Wildtrak owner with broken tie rods being towed out of a trail by his buddy's Black Diamond. But... it was pretty clear he lifted his Wildtrak because that thing was gigantic compared to the Black Diamond. And I don't know if he bothered to correct or account for the geometry changes after lifting it.

That's what I was thinking as well. i think it mainly happens to lifted/ modified rigs. not to mention lack of experience and speed can cause damage while crawling.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are hoss 2.0 broncos able to upgrade to the hoss 3.0 tie rods only or do you have to have the upgraded steering rack too?
I can confirm yes! They do fit. Use hoss 2.0 boots/bellows...whatever you wana call them, and maybe a heat gun just to warm the small end a tiny bit, and they will stretch over the Hoss 3.0 inners. If ordering tie rods only you will need 2x M14x1.5 nuts for jamb nuts...not included w/the tie rods

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

21 and early 22 WT didn't have Hoss 3.0. 22.5 it was only optional...did you happen to see if it was a Hoss 3? Or just noticed it was a WT?

Boostedblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2011 F-250, 2004 Ranger 2016 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can confirm yes! They do fit. Use hoss 2.0 boots/bellows...whatever you wana call them, and maybe a heat gun just to warm the small end a tiny bit, and they will stretch over the Hoss 3.0 inners. If ordering tie rods only you will need 2x M14x1.5 nuts for jamb nuts...not included w/the tie rods
Awesom! thank you!

Sponsored

NightShade

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hoss 3.0 on all Sas Bronco's, another kick in the nuts for the Wildtrak guys.
👆🏽Essentially giving away the main differentiators from WT to BL. What would be the point of paying more for a WT when you have zero compromises with a BL now? Might as well phase that model out. Good job Ford!

Thanks for the transcript RK

NightShade

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sure but it’s waaaaay worse for EVERY Badlands owner with SAS (so pretty much all of them). Their resale is OVA
Then either kill the WT or come up with another big differentiator to justify its price point, ie. 3.5l motor and better towing.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Then either kill the WT or come up with another big differentiator to justify its price point, ie. 3.5l motor and better towing.
It's just the steering...NOT the whole Hoss 3.0 package. WT still is the only trim that gets the "cool duder" coilovers

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh I agree- I think they’ll kill the WT. The primary difference as of MY’24 is the Fox Shocks and they are great but that’s not a model line differential.

And while that sucks, it doesn’t suck nearly as bad as having a Badlands SAS with a plastic steering rack, #2 pencil tie rods, and some off-the-shelf bilstein shocks. Those folks are waaay over a barrel if I can buy a MY’24 BB SAS with better kit.

NightShade

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's just the steering...NOT the whole Hoss 3.0 package. WT still is the only trim that gets the "cool duder" coilovers
WT owners weren’t paying premiums for cool dude coil overs. The majority advantages of having a WT have essentially been given away to level off the other models. There is nothing for ‘24 WT that would warrant stepping up to what is the largest price increase for the lineup. Based on this logic, they may as well kill the WT.
Sponsored