First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ugh... Trying not to spend money on things I don't need or will ever use. Making it sooo hard. Biggest question I'm facing right now is "4A" worth it for the extra $1,500 it will cost to add it to the OB.
In my opinion, yes it is. I've owned a few short wheelbase rear wheel drive vehicles (Broncos and a Wrangler) and one short wheel base AWD (Jeep GC, I'm assuming it's 4A is going to be the same as the Bronco's), it's a night and day difference. AWD is so much more "sure" footed in all situations.
Sponsored

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am hoping the sport mode will actually do sporty stuff :D

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, definitely not the same.
Yeah...I'm in North NJ too. I am questioning when and where we would even need baja around here.

batbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Sirish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I ordered a Black Diamond + (Sasquatch+Mid+Mic+2.7). Beside the Baja mode and the headlights am I missing anything else with the same configuration i.e Badlands + (Sasquatch+Mid+Mic+2.7)

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I ordered a Black Diamond + (Sasquatch+Mid+Mic+2.7). Beside the Baja mode and the headlights am I missing anything else with the same configuration i.e Badlands + (Sasquatch+Mid+Mic+2.7)
Electrical sway bar disconnect

Sponsored

B Wants A Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X; 2002 BMW 530i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

then read the article linked below and make an informed decision on what you want rather than conjecture.

4A is drastically different than a "set it and forget it" as it's entire function is entirely different from the non-"advanced" 4wd.

It ultimately brings a real-time 4wd system to the vehicle on dry roads. For all the hoopla on these here digital pages regarding tuning the Bronco or caring about how fast it is, one would think that understanding the differences between RWD and 4wd on a daily basis would be among the important factors.

That being said, the number of people who properly understand how 4wd or AWD require different driving styles to effectively use them, as observed on public roadways, is less than 1%. Watching people with their Subaru's or Quattro systems enter corners well too hot, mid-corner braking, zero-throttle after the apex then pussyfoot the throttle on a straight away is infuriating. So, based on observing the public and these threads about how 4wd and RWD are fundamentally the same, not a single damn person should purchase advanced 4wd or give one shit about the hardware in their bronco. The vast majority of owners will have no comprehension of how to drive it even on public roadways based on it's drivetrain.
I sincerely DO want to be schooled on this. I've owned Quattro Audis (2002 A4) and have had my Nissan since 2015. While one is AWD and the other is RWD except of course in 4H/L, both of these vehicles tend toward understeer so that's how I drive them. Seems you are saying it's more of a drive wheels issue as opposed to an understeer/oversteer issue. Is this correct?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I sincerely DO want to be schooled on this. I've owned Quattro Audis (2002 A4) and have had my Nissan since 2015. While one is AWD and the other is RWD except of course in 4H/L, both of these vehicles tend toward understeer so that's how I drive them. Seems you are saying it's more of a drive wheels issue as opposed to an understeer/oversteer issue. Is this correct?
That takes this thread pretty far off topic. Happy to do a PM string with you.

Also suggest looking at local motorsports groups which do high-performance drivers training. Here in the PNW, the Alfa Romeo Club of the NW has an excellent 1-day package that is very cost conscious and will help you learn car control and get an instructor in your car with you so you can learn some of the basics. There are different driving techniques for each type of drive out there (FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD) and understanding the differences makes a huge difference to the enjoyment and safety of your driving.

http://www.nwalfaclub.com/track/track-events.html

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah...I'm in North NJ too. I am questioning when and where we would even need baja around here.
Ever driven through Newark? :LOL:

Edit: Recently a number of the main roads in Newark were repaved, but they didn't raise the level of the manhole covers. The HOSS system is going to have its work cut out for it. :p

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep. Getting out and turning those hubs off because the roads were good. Then you get out of the industrial area and you have to pull over again and lock them because the roads are not nearly as good as they just were. :LOL:
I just leave them locked in and throw the lever in and out as needed from the cab.

Once the threat of snow or mud has passed I unlock them.

Not really rocket science, a 2000ish+ Ranger/2021+ Bronco basically has the front hubs locked all the time which IMO is the best idea anybody has had in regards to front hubs and blows away the cheesy vacuum crap Ford fullsizes get.

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 69 Bronco, Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@BroncoBuckaroo You are correct about the original meaning of G.O.A.T. and that this is being honored by the name GOAT modes in the new Bronco.

However, as I understand it, GOAT does not stand for the exact same thing then and now. It's an homage to the original with an updated meaning for the new Bronco. Based on Ford's materials that I previously referenced, the meaning is slightly different for the GOAT modes in the 2021 Bronco.

In the end, the precise wording doesn't really matter. The end meaning and usage is the same.
Old is so much better!..I hate when they say Goes Over Any Type of Terrain.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Advanced 4x4 is unrelated to any of the performance elements of Baja.

Baja defaults to 4H, adjusts shift points for improved performance high speed off-roading, adjusts traction control to allow for more slippage in sand at speed.

Advanced 4x4 may offer increased torque and axle control (someone else might know more), but mainly gives you the 4A (4x4 auto) feature. This basically keeps you in 2H until the system detects you need more power/traction and then applies power to the front wheels automatically. This is especially good for ice and snow, or other road conditions that impact traction and control.

Others can probably offer more details, but may take is that 4A will not provide any of the performance enhancements you're looking for from Baja.
I am trying to decide on trim still. One of the decision points is relative to getting Sport or Baja mode. What is the difference between the two? I do not understand why they are not both offered on the trims I am considering if they are different. I really want Baja, but it is not available on OBX, nor is Sport available on BL.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Am I missing something? 7 pages now, but there's nothing we didn't know. If you chase the link, we still get no details on just what is on our off, which would be helpful.....

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So what is the theory on how the GOATS will affect the manual trans? Are we assuming it will only switch the 4x4 settings, lockers, and traction control? It obviously cant change shift points. Maybe hold the RPM's up a second when the clutch is depressed to allow to keep the turbos up?